1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PayPal sanctions hilarity

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Nov 16, 2017.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife got an account-suspension message from PayPal today.

paypal.jpg

She dabbles in the buying and selling of Persian rugs, so she thought it might be that: perhaps it was some new US crackdown on anything with any sort of connection to Iran.

But she checked the transaction number and that was not it. The problem was that she had used PayPal to buy a copy of Lonely Planet: Vietnam, a travel guidebook. This, apparently, was thought of by PayPal as regulated or prohibited by the US government. It's all because of National Security.

She has replied, with a bunch of helpful suggestions.

• She bought the book from US company Amazon, so sanctions should be imposed on them.
    • Lonely Planet publications are owned by the BBC, so sanctions should be imposed on them.
    • She bought the book to see where we should visit while we're in Vietnam in April. We'll be staying in hotels booked through US company Expedia, so sanctions should be imposed on them.
    • We'll be travelling to Vietnam on a Boeing 787, made by US company Boeing and sold to Vietnamese company Vietnam Airlines. We do not know whether Vietnam Airlines paid for the planes by PayPal, but they might have done. Sanctions should be imposed on Boeing.
    • On the day she violated strict PayPal rules designed to protect the US from evil foreign enemies such as Vietnam, the American President was ... erm ... in Vietnam. Sanctions should be imposed on him.

I am enormously impressed by how well PayPal is protecting you. You can all sleep safely tonight knowing that people won't be buying Vietnam travel guides. We can only dream of being so well protected in Australia.

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i ordered a tv from vizier, and the cc transaction wouldn't complete, 'contact your cc company'. turns out stolen cards are most used to buy electronics, and you have to clear it with them first. who knew?

RCO likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A few years ago, someone skimmed my dad's credit card and used the details to make an online purchase.

He bought a TV, and had it delivered to his house. Surprisingly, when he opened the door to the TV delivery guy he was expecting, it turned out to be a policeman.

Muppet.

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Musk sold PayPal just as a class action suite was being inacted for locking accounts, but PayPal looking after your well being, anything you say comrade

RCO likes this.
  6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I get those emails too. Yet, I have never had, nor used PayPal.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

I had ordered some noise canceling ear buds that never arrived. I contacted the seller and they were going to send a refund. But your post reminded me to check.

After 15 days, the refund had yet to show up in my PayPal account. So I opened a case with Ebay. Hopefully we'll see the problem resolved by the end of the month.

Bob Wilson

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to check with the seller directly too: it could be that they've sent you a refund and you just haven't received it.

My wife has had a few incidents recently where people have paid her through PayPal, and the money has come out of their accounts but didn't appear in her account until she called PayPal. She knew that these people had sent the money, but there was no sign of it in her PayPal account; it should have appeared instantly, but didn't appear even after several days. In a couple of cases, it wasn't until she phoned PayPal and threatened to call the Banking Ombudsman (the Australian consumer banking regulator) that PayPal suddenly remembered that they did have the money and needed to give it to her.

RCO, pilotgrrl and bwilson4web like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if they're floating cash for the interest, like the wall street was doing until congress set a limit.

RCO likes this.
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be. It's hard to tell whether it's that or just incompetence.

RCO likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, there's no way to know, unless a government authority gets a lot of complaints and investigates.

13. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interested to hear how these perform for you.

Do you really have that much noise in your Prius?

RCO likes this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - hence the ombusdman thing.

The Vietnam incident I started this thread with certainly points toward a degree of incompetence.

I mean, I know that, as Paul Hardcastle said in his classic song, "Eight to ten years after coming home / Almost eight-hundred-thousand men / Are still fighting the Vietnam War"....

However, as PayPal ought to be aware, the war did end more than 40 years ago. And yet, someone at PayPal is, it seems, still fighting the Vietnam War.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, that is a possibility, although most of the vets are beyond working age.

RCO likes this.
  16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One would think so. Maybe PayPal has an old man trapped in an office somewhere.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It isn't for the Prius and would be illegal in many states as you're supposed to hear emergency vehicles. The noise canceling effect is for visiting bars to mute out:
    1. Music that was new when I was a teenager 50 years ago.
    2. "And then <someone> did <something> and I was shocked."
    3. . . . the usual bar banter that makes one glad not to be single . . .
    FYI, the seller and I already communicated once and the money didn't show up. Ebay has a resolution system that works but has to be 'turned on.' Part of the seller's payment goes to support this Ebay service, it happens.

Bob Wilson

#17 bwilson4web, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    RCO, pilotgrrl and ILuvMyPriusToo like this.