1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PBS $8/month?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Apr 24, 2023.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I generally keep the last-replaced phone around for apps I might not install on the most-current one.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A Macintosh owner, I've only needed anti-virus for web based, Java threats. "Java, runs everywhere and infects them all."

I had come to suspect that Windows was just a virus growth medium. I had a virtual PC program to run Windows-only applications like some OBD software. One day, it wasn't coming up and I got a 'cold call' from someone with an Indian accent saying I had to pay to recover my files. I did not pay in part because the old OBD software was coming up on another for-fee renewal. I already had enough 2003 Prius data.

When Microsoft began charging for each Windows update and 'bricking' the earlier versions ... it confirmed with wisdom of MacOS.

Bob Wilson

#22 bwilson4web, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have my venerable old Moto stylus that I use for IOT ops.
    I also use it for disreputable stuff....like playing with new ChiComm apps.
    As I roar into those decades that make me officially 'old' (although not as old as a US President!!!) I find that iphonethingies are the 2020's version of the 'jitterbug' phone.

Safe for the olds.

AND
    if you give them a an apple-watch, you don't need a 'Mrs Fletcher' device.
    I advocated this strategery for several near nonagenarian Aunts who are 'aging in place.'
    The Apples, being Nothing if not socially agile, now OWN and have "re-messaged" the "Mrs Fletcher" brand!!!!

They went from:
    [​IMG]

to....

[​IMG]

WELL PLAYED!!!!!

:cool:

#23 ETC(SS), Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My younger daughter has a Mac and an iPhone; other than here, we're a PC/Android family.

I know about the benefits of the Apple environment in terms of viruses and stuff, but I simply cannot get my head around them. I had to help my daughter set up a new Mac the other week, and within 10 minutes I was just shouting at it.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looked at a Mac Air. Said no to the close window button being on the wrong side.

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    o_O

First time I've ever read where somebody with more cognitive ability than the current US President was not able to intuitively set up an Apple product.
    Apple is the company that I love to hate, and hate to love, but I've always credited them with KNOWING that if you need an instruction manual or tier-2 tech support to use one of their products?
    ---you REALLY should not be using their products, and they really WANT you to use their products!

I've always maintained the ability to live and work outside the 'walled garden" as a land holding against the day that the Apples should turn into one of the foolish, despotic, pro-authoritarianism entities that currently litter the landscape.

SO FAR, they have shown a reluctance to be 'that kind of woke' which works for ME.
    Since I threw my CFO over the wall and into the garden that my daughter and her kids have been playing in for years I have not had to answer a SINGLE 'howdoi?' question.
    In fact....I myself now own, and use no less than 3 Apple products..
    (watch, phone, mini-tablet)
    I lean towards refurbished products from the Apples themselves which are indistinguishable from new in function, appearance, and warranty and in addition to the CPO price, I get free delivery and a 10% military discount.

The Apples are not perfect as a company, but they don't have to be.
    They just have to 'suck less' than their near-peer competitors.

#26 ETC(SS), Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Absolutely correct. Buy the old stock, especially refurbished, when a new product is announced.

In mixed company, I use "Less bad."

Bob Wilson

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PC is more monolithic than mixed, but yeah.
    Me too.

#28 ETC(SS), Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i switched to macbook after years of dell. i didn't find it any more intuitive. i still have to google anything i don't do almost everyday. and now, it won't even do updates anymore, but it keeps prompting me, even though i have auto checked.
    but i have never been a computer guy

10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our 14 year old kid set up their Mac Book Air themselves without any issues. They are still using it to get through college.

Only problem we've had in almost 7 years of ownership was when they closed it with a stylus inside and cracked the screen. Apple repaired it and it was as good as new. No malware problems, update problems or hardware issues.

Most importantly no ridiculous - this product is in its end of life cycle and no longer supported - like our Microsoft Office Suite, our soon to be non supported Windows 10, and our inability to upgrade to Windows 11 (computer not compatible) as well as a whole host of other Microsoft applications that are discontinued or are at their end of life cycle -anyone remember Microsoft Money?

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most 14 year olds are a lot more tech savvy than me. i'm waiting for my grandchildren to teach me

hkmb, Trollbait and John321 like this.