1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC At The Movies

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only movie I've ever really hated, was photo shop with Robin Williams. I just thought it was awful and couldn't wait for it to end.

Other than that, I've gotten some entertainment from every other movie I've seen.

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

One Hour Photo you mean?

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Saw two movies this last week:
    • Jarhead -- I liked it, but didn't love it. What messages there are in it are subtle (which I think is a good thing), and it's extremely well-made; but I can't say that I warmed up to any of the characters.
    • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Not as good as the last HP film (but better than the first two). Some very good performances (and one or two very poor ones), and I'm OK with them streamlining the plot (you have to), though I think they made some significant changes in the "final challenge" (I need to re-read the book).

But... the whole thing seems rushed. Not "we need to get to the next plot point" rushed (which there is, but I expected that), but as if the actors were doing some of their work on the first take, without much rehearsal. Also, some characters were off, perhaps because the director felt he had to make the plot point clear, which meant the actor acting more loudly or emphatically than he would otherwise. (Dumbledore is way off in several scenes.)
    My $0.02.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Haven't seen HP yet---but like the kind of "review" you offer---that is, the perceptions you had.

Maybe they rushed EVERYTHING, before those kids get any farther down the road to, ahem, adulthood. I read one gossipy piece about teen romances on the set, which they didn't have to contend with before.

5. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My favorites:
    Wings of Desire
    Koyaanisqatsi
    Dr. Strangelove
    Night on Earth
    anything by Werner Herzog
    Fellini Satyricon
    Blue Velvet
    Persona
    Pink Floyd The Wall
    the Austin Powers series

Least favorites:
    Passion of the Christ
    What about Bob
    Soul Plane
    The Flintstones
    Jumping Jack Flash

Favorite WEIRD movies:
    L'age d'Or
    Le Chien Andalou
    Eraserhead
    Even Dwarves Started Small
    Fellini Satyricon

Most F'ed up movies:
    Salo
    Irreversible
    Ichii the Killer
    Salo
    Visitor Q
    Audition
    Salo
    Buio Omega
    Requiem for a Dream
    Oh, and have I mentioned Salo yet?

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw Harry Potter last weekend. It was good, though it seemed a little disjointed. Like somebody picked which scenes to do and showed them one after the other, minus the connective narrative of the book. There were definitely more hormones on film than before, and it doesn't surprise me they were active on set too. (The hormones and the actors ;)

7. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

My faves:

Mulholland Drive (D. Lynch)
    Xiu Xiu, the Sent Down Girl
    Laura
    The Big Lebowski
    Team America: World Police
    The Ice Storm
    Ben-Hur
    any movie with Li Gong (or Gong Li)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    best movies is very tough call to make since moods will change my top 10 constantly

but...

Lord of the Rings
    besides being a monumental achievement on a project that most considered impossible to do, it was actually ALMOST as enjoyable as the book. rare is the movie adaptation that even comes close.

The Shawshank Redemption
    its hard to not want to stand up and cheer at the end of the movie. also one of the few movies that made more in rentals than it did in the box office.

Forrest Gump
    awesome story, signficant especially when you cant decide whether you want to laugh or cry.

The Song Remains the Same
    even the band admits that the concert footage was one of the worst performances they ever did (that was proven after the DVD was released showing much better live performances) but having never seen them live before, its a must. by far the movie i have seen the most (there is probably less than a dozen movies i have bothered to watch more than twice, maybe 50-60 i have watched twice. this one ive seen DOZENS of times)

Toy Story
    a watershed event. it was the first

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Watched the DVD of "March of the Penguins" last night. Recommend it strongly to everyone. What's not to like about extraordinary animals doing extraordinary things? I had no idea all this was going on in Antarctica while I was sleeping.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

"Fitzcarraldo" is a great film! The final scene in "Aguirre: The Wrath of God" has remained clear in my mind for 30 years. Klaus Kinski and Herzog: what a pair.

"Eraserhead" is the darkest film I've ever seen.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A great film is one that pulls you in emotionally to the point you forget you are watching a movie.
    Four favorites:

Koyanisqatsi ("Life Out of Balance") - music by Phillip Glass. Most appropriate for Prius.

Derzu uzala - in russian, surveying for the transSiberian railroad in 1908.

Little Big Man

Das Boot ("The Boat") in german

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I'm with you on these two.

I think Little Big Man is Hoffman's masterpiece, although Midnight Cowboy comes close. He's the last actor I would ever have cast into that part, but he more than made it work.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Grandmother took me to see Little Big Man when I was just a youngster, and I learned quite a bit ahead of the curve, shall we say. She was thoroughly embarrassed, and told me not to tell my Mother. ;)

Koyaanisqatsi is one of my all time favourites, and one of the few that bears repeated showings. The end is the beginning, with a twist: this time technology crashes and burns. Doesn't that flaming thruster remnant look vaguely humanoid at first? One of these days I'm going to hook up the TV to the stereo, all the better to hear it with. I saw Powwaqatsi for the first time recently, but was disappointed. How's the third in the series?

14. wilco

wilco New Member

I like, in no particular order...

This is Spinal Tap
    Magnolia
    Office Space
    Fight Club
    The Big Lebowski
    Naked Lunch
    Brazil
    Snatch
    Pulp Fiction
    Trainspotting
    The Gods Must Be Crazy
    Blade Runner
    LA Confidential
    Breaker Morant
    Fargo
    Raising Arizona
    Apocalypse Now
    Team America - World Police
    Airplane
    Hot Shots
    Top Secret
    Get Shorty
    Repo Man
    All of the Monty Python movies
    The Rutles
    The Usual Suspects
    Planet of the Apes
    Mad Max
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    Roger and Me
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original)

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh man. i worked at a video store for over 25% of my life. (yeah, you all know i'm in my early 20s)

i guess i'll limit it to a few favorites. a few may have been mentioned and i'm missing a LOT. i tend to gravitate toward the older ones and not the ones made in more recent years, and yes i do have very varied taste...

Empire Records
    SLC Punk
    Shawshank Redemption
    Fight Club
    Sling Blade
    Rain Man
    High Fidelity
    Fatal Attraction
    Trainspotting

i like a few newer ones but since i quit the video monkey job none of it sticks in my head. think it's my mind trying to forget all those years i got personal responsibility heaped upon me for everone else's late fees...

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

I was actually startled by how Fight Club works on distinctly diferent levels.

And Billy Bob was brilliant.

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yessss! Two of my all-time favorites that I watch over and over again and rented constantly. They came out on video (yes, video, not dvd) at the time I was working at Buttbuster. I definitely put my 5 free rentals a week to good use. :)

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, if @ssbuster was the days, hollywood was the best! i was ASM for a while there, ran the store while the SM screwed around with various unknown 'projects' (i think one of those 'projects' was one of our shift leaders! :blink:) we got unlimited free rentals at the wood. it was beyond awesome. at any rate, i moved over to BBV when i moved across state and they didn't have a h'wood store for me to transfer to... their skimpy 5-a-week thing was such a disappointment.

met my husband working with him at hollywood. how funny is that.

i am glad that's over though, retail's a rough living especially if you're management. :wacko:

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Last movie I saw in a theater was Little Big Man, I knew Chief Dan George, in life like the movie.
    Favorite DVD or VHS movies,
    Blade Runner
    Fargo
    PF the Wall
    Das Boot