1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PC moving to the right?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirGreen @ Apr 16 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]240690[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That actually did make me laugh out loud. I love absurdist humor.

2. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In pre-Dubya days, I probably would have described myself as a moderate independent - you know, vote for the person and issues, and not the party? ... but I have been converted. Color me left and liberal, and voting for every Democrat I can ... which, in Virginia, means I vote for the losing side darn near all the time! But I keep voting. :)

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm an admitted social liberal, but fiscal conservative. And no, that is not a contradiction.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imntacrook @ Apr 17 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]240858[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes Ronnie. Proof that you can have an addled leader and still run the govt. behind his back. The man was a non-stop fairy tale. Master and champion of getting us in debt with trickle-down (aka pee-on-you) economics. -"I believe the budget can be balanced by 1982 or 1983". Of course this is the same dude who also said "I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself." - At the end of his watch he had tripled the national debt to 3 trillion. Master of more staff felonies on his watch than any other president. Neo-conservatives seem to have this defining rule that criminal action is ok as long as they are the perpetrators. Destroyer of several Latin American economies chasing voodoo communists that never were there.

What I don't understand is why you are calling yourselves conservatives? As of 2003, the last 3 conservative Republican Presidents are costing 227 billion dollars a year, every year, in interest payments. & counting.... Of course, not wanting to be outdone, GW is going for a new record all by himself. (In 2005 = $352,350,252,507.90)

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ Apr 17 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]240871[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to call yourself a moderate independent. Bush & Co. have been tremendously successful in making people believe that they are "middle of the road" and that they are the voice of most Americans. In reality, Bush is to the right of most Americans; way to the right. I think that, prior to 'W', most people would have thought of Bush Sr. as a solid, right-wing Republican. The current administration has him looking like a liberal.

My point simply is that you shouldn't let the current administration dictate what you call your political position; despite what they would have you believe, they are pretty far to the right. I think the next President elected, be them Democrat or Republican, will show this to be true.

5. LoveBeingGreen

LoveBeingGreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 17 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]240904[/snapback]</div>
    God help us all otherwise. :(

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, I've always gotten a kick out of reading just how fanatical some of the Bush haters on PC are. It's like they don't sleep at night, curse him under their breath everytime they stub their toe or something. They are just soooo consumed by hating him... This is why I couldn't be President, for I'd make full use of a Gestapo-like mechanism to effectively silence such individuals who are sooo irrational, they are more harmful to this country than the terrorists.

I have to say though, there are only about 1 or 2 people here that actually hate Bush for real, rational, reasons, the rest: they're just here for the Bush bashing sausage/taco party..... :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Apr 17 2006, 06:04 AM) [snapback]240806[/snapback]</div>
    No BS dude, I almost didn't post the entire weekend... UNTIL I came across your post... You know that stuff just fires me on don't you? :D

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well said MS ! LOL

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 17 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]240940[/snapback]</div>
    Please. There are fanatics on either side of the issue. For example, the person up above that said that "[Bush] brings balance to the world and is one of the best presidents America has ever had." Whew! I'm still laughing about that. :lol: :lol:

However, I really believe that this administration has pulled the discourse so far right that someone who is a solid, liberal Democrat appears by comparison to be a left-wing nut job. That is, if you redefine far-right as "center," then anyone who's not far-right looks like they are off-the-scale liberal.

I'll remind you that it's not so long ago that Clinton was impeached for getting a BJ (Yes, I know it's more involved than that, but that's what it really boils down to). I (as a liberal) could easily apply your comment on liberals feelings about Bush to conservatives feelings about Clinton 10 years ago (i.e. "don't sleep at night, curse him under their breath everytime they stub their toe. . . ").

But, on the other hand, I guess a war of deception is less serious than adultery. <_<

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I'll have to wait a while. Someday, when the whole Bush-was-told-no-WOMD-were-in-Iraq-but-told-us-they-were-anyway timeline comes out, I'll find out how it STILL gets explained away by The Faithful.

For now, I have to wonder about the blinders some people wear...

10. dsunman

dsunman New Member

If one could please define what "right" means these days?

Does spending someone else's money and bankrupting falls into "right"?

What's the difference when the same lobby donates equal amount of influences to the right and to the left.

We can bicker and label with each other forever, someone else is laughing!

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What Right-Wingers don't realize is that they all come around to the voice of reason eventually. The trick for the rest of us is to prevent them from doing too much damage in the mean time.

Some examples:
    -Recycling. Pretty much mainstream nowadays.
    -Emissions. Who really wants to go back to the way it was?
    -Relaxation of marijuana laws. (Need I say more?)
    -Hybrid cars (we were right all along).
    -Drunk Driving laws

It seems that stubborn "conservatives" tend to let go of their extremist views over time. They become more liberal, but they deny it. They probably don't even realize it.

Case in point, "I drive a Prius, I recycle, but I'm a conservative!"

It's just like technology. Once it's the norm, it's not technology anymore.

Nate

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Guess that is why I can't watch NASCAR and IRL... only turns to the left.... :lol:
    I would say the same if a race series that only turn to the right... ;)

That is why I love F1... :lol:

So down goes both parties... :D

13. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 17 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]240940[/snapback]</div>
    It is interesting to read the responses to this thread. Even a thread just to talk about PC growing more toe the right becomes another opportunity to bash Bush or right-wingers for being delusional or having their blinders on or some other nonsense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 17 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]241016[/snapback]</div>
    Seems like I have heard before that the reverse is true, that people also become less liberal as they get older, at least in economic terms.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 17 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]240823[/snapback]</div>
    he's stronger objections to bush than i do... :huh:

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Apr 17 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]241033[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that as people age they tend to become more conservative, in terms of economic views. Typically, they become less enamored with entitlement.

However, it seems that society as a whole, as it progresses, tends to become more liberal. Maybe that's because more young people are born, new ideas come around, and eventually the others follow.

I found myself starting to lean to the right until the Bush administration came to power. I realized how anybody who isn't careful can fall into the "conservative" trap and forget to make a difference in the world. I realized that people degenerate naturally and that only through effort, commitment, and dedication can you make difference. I once had a right-wing nut job in a grocery store parking lot wearing a Bush T-shirt (and his two year old was as well) telling me that my liberal ideals were cute and quaint (he spotted my Prius) but that once I had children I would switch into protectionism of my family, trading in for the biggest SUV I could find, buying a gun to make sure my family was safe, and fighting to reduce taxes (otherwise hurting my kid's future) blah blah blah. "Once you have kids, then you'll see!" he said, condescendingly. He could not have been further from the truth. As a father, I now feel that I must set an example for my daughter of how to live, not as some sort of paranoid ultra-militaristic protectionist.

I have seen the light, and so too do the right-wingers. They will spout the greatness of GW at the recycling center after arriving in their Prii and I will just smile and nod.

Nate

16. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 17 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]240940[/snapback]</div>
    WOW almost the entire weekend, that's something. But great you decided to stay, I get a real kick out of you flying off the handle. It's truly entertaining, one of the best times on Priuschat.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Apr 17 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]241139[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks man! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 17 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]241016[/snapback]</div>
    This is the kind of pretentiousness I love reading about... "They'll come around...", "I have seen the light..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or some of us relized the hybrid would save us some money at the pump.

19. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ Apr 17 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]240983[/snapback]</div>
    Well it certainly doesn't mean conservative. I think it means I'm Right and you're wrong, regardless of what's correct.

So to answer, Schmika's orig post on this thread, yes. I certainly have grown more conservative. Sure wish the Republicans were a whole lot more so too, especially with my money.

20. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 17 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]241118[/snapback]</div>
    I remember a saying,

"If you are not a Liberal at 20 you have no heart. If you are not a Conservative at 40, you have no brain"
    Then again, "No generalization is true, including this one"