1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCS Indicator Suddenly Lit - Can't Find Enable/Disable Button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tommygun, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tommygun

tommygun Who was that masked man?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've got a new 2012 Model 5. The PCS light came on last night for no apparent reason. Page 304 of the manual says that there is a button under the dash to enable/disable the PCS system. I figured I would try it, but I can't for the life of me locate it down there. Suggestions?

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe you pushed it by accident? The light actually comes on when it's disabled. It's located rather far down on the left panel containing the mirror controls, dash dimmer, etc.

If this is not the case, why would you want to disable it? Get it fixed under warranty.

1 person likes this.
  3. tommygun

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're right. I'm assuming that somehow it got pushed by accident. I see no reason to deliberately disable it. I haven't had a chance to look again, but the manual indicates it's to the right of the steering column so I didn't really look on the left side. I guess they made it difficult to find so that people wouldn't be tempted to fool with it. Thanks for your help.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Hard to say from the picture, but it doesn't look like it's to the right of the steering column. More like behind the OBD II connector. I don't have a 2010 V so I can't look for myself.

PCS Button.PNG

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not the best picture, but it's located more like directly under the steering column. Duck your head low enough and you should be able to see it. I think it's right next to the TPMS tire pressure "SET" button.

6. tommygun

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You are exactly right. It was somewhat to the left of the steering column, adjacent to the "SET" button. Which leads me to ask, is there any ill effect from having pushed the SET button while searching for the PCS switch? I hope not.

Thanks again.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not really. All the SET button does is reset the TPMS for your current tire pressures. The TPMS light will come on if the pressure drops ~8 psi or so from their current SET pressure (I forget the exact number or percentage.) Next time you check and adjust your tire pressure, press the SET button again.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PCS button just switches the PCS Braking off. The PCS seatbelt and PCS Brake Assist will still work.

No harm pressing the SET button. Like RRxing said, it just sets the tyre pressure so the computer knows when it's low (I think it's 25% below the set pressure which is about 8 psi based on the factory 35/33 psi setting).

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To reset TPMS the vehicle must be stopped, turn the power switch ON and push the SET button, wait for the light to blink 3 times. Then wait "a few minutes" and turn the power switch OFF.

I did mine last time I had the tires replaced and I had to do it a couple of times before it worked. Pushing the button by accident won't reset it.

1 person likes this.
  10. hunter599

hunter599 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So pcs light is on but i cant locate the switch its not in the place it should be its jdm prius Rhd