1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCS Saved My Stupid Butt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ggood, Mar 9, 2014.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So, I'm cruising down the freeway in moderate traffic, and start fiddling with the radio to try to turn on the bluetooth audio. It's a slight pain to get to it, since it always seems to be on the 2nd screen. Suddenly, I sense the car start to slow, which causes me to look up and see that traffic has suddenly slowed to a crawl, and I'm rapidly approaching the back end of a pick-up. At this point, the PCS starts chiming away and I simultaneously decide it's a good time to stand on the brakes. The car kept going in a straight line (thanks ABS) and stopped about 3 to 6 feet away, probably thanks in part to the fact that traffic was still moving just a little. Interestingly, I didn't get the usual seat belt tightening or the really strong pre-braking, so maybe it wasn't quite as close a call as it seemed, or I reacted quickly enough. However, I'm pretty darn sure I would not have reacted in time if the car had not started reacting first.

First, let this be a warning to people to not foolishly let themselves be distracted from the road for too long, like I was.

Second, if I ever read another post saying the AT/PCS system is not worth the extra $, I'm going to be all over it. PCS is a proven life saver, and should become mandatory equipment ASAP. I'll never buy another car without it.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    steering wheel controls?

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like I said, foolish. For some reason I don't usually use the mode button for that purpose, maybe cause I don't want to cycle through all the options and it usually only takes a couple of taps on the touchscreen. This particular time, I messed up somehow and wasted too much time trying to figure out what I did wrong.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    foolish maybe, uncommon? nope. its a daily occuence that we simply do not devote our full attention to where we are going. longer commute times are contributing to our inattention. auto pilot vehicles are a few years away and I welcome handing over the navigation duties

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Exactly...not uncommon at all. Bring on the self driving cars! :)

6. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whenever I read a news story about multi-vehicle pile ups due to fog or blowing snow white out, I think, what a shame, it's a very solvable problem. Being distracted by changing channels is very understandable. Glad you had the tech in your car to help you out.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suppose its worth noting my Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires seem to have pretty good stopping power...

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. BrianPB

BrianPB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As much as i don't want to admit it... The PCS has saved me twice. It really is a priceless feature!

9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I agree. I've had mine engage once in the year I've had it. A car in another lane, cut in front of me. So that's once in over forty five years of driving. Nice safety feature that's worth the cost.

10. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like even though the feature may be extra money, if you have to use it even once or maybe twice, you have just recouped all that money you spent on it by not getting in an accident.

Personally- I think this should be a standard safety feature in all cars (like airbags, ABS, and now ESC as of 2012)

11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I think all us American's should get get better driver training and have more stringent process in regards to getting a DL and keeping it.

And the police should do a better job of enforcing the "inattentive driving laws" already on the books rather than writing new laws every time a cell phone or GPS comes up with a new feature.

basically cars are being built with all the safety devices which is taking the actual skill/attention of driving out of the equation, which is just promoting even more inattentive driving.

While self driving cars are going to be neat, it will decades until there are enough of them to make a difference, and just think if a pack of cars are self driving in close proximity at higway speeds and one of the computers in the car goes down, or gps service is lost and the cars don't know where they are.

12. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for valuable if embarrassing to disclose info!
    (Pilots also share "near accident" stories to help each other avoid accidents.)
    Hope price comes down as would like that system on next Prius.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No argument with your first point, but there aren't enough police in the world to enforce inattentive driving laws effectively - you'd need one patrol car for about every five passenger cars in most places.

jdk2 and MKART like this.
  14. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with you about training. But more thorough training would cost money , so folks would object and some percent would simply drive without a license in the same manner than about 16% now drive without insurance. Also, The recent historical trend seems to be loosening rather than restricting driver training at least here in Virginia where a parental sign-off can suffice for training. Finally, Social mores in the USA that consider driving more of a "right" rather than a "privilege" might also be a problem.

One alternative to dramatically increasing the duties of police to punish inattentive driving would be a technological solution inside the car: an eye-tracker that would sound after a set number of seconds of eyes averted from the road in front while the car was in forward motion. (I would like such device both in car and in the airplane cockpit. In aviation, the rule is "three button presses and then you look up" which works well for dealing with cockpit automation but you have to have the self-discipline to do it.)

Personally, Self driving cars (or airplanes) leave me cold, but maybe it would be better than the driving behavior we currently experience. With careful programming I think the problems you mention could be addressed.

15. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're OK. Not familiar with PCS. Some type of collision avoidance system? Any info appreciated.

16. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Silver bullit likes this.
  17. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pre-Collision System

Working in concert with the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) 26, the available Pre-Collision System (PCS) 25employs the vehicle’s radar system to determine if a frontal collision is imminent. If so, the system automatically applies the brakes [and starts chiming] and retracts the front seatbelts to prepare for such a scenario.

Silver bullit likes this.
  18. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Props to Toyota VSC also. Save my Axx on ice many times.
    What level Prii's come with the PCS and Lane keep assist?

19. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll never forget this news Local Prius in a deadly accident | PriusChat I can't find any news articles about it anymore. Sadly it has been forgotten. I did find a blogger who kept the story.
    Pennsylvania motor-vehicle accident: Prius driver killed after rear-ending truck
    I also found an cached picture but it's kind of graphic to post. It's funny that it's cached from Priuschat.
    I am so glad I bought my Prius with PCS. It has saved me a few times. I wanted to get one for my parent's Sienna but it would cost nearly 50K OTD and it only seats 7.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It wasn't too long ago folks were fighting just to have rear view cameras installed as standard equipment ... And yet the manufacturers were very constipated about getting it done. Just think of how many kids have not gotten run over because of that. And think how much cheaper one measily camera is compared to advanced tech collision avoidance.