1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCV hose at intake came off, caused code P3190

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cptsnoopy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. cptsnoopy

cptsnoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Recently happened to my brothers 2011 Prius that has approx 190K miles.
    Just putting this thread up to hopefully help others save some cash for unneeded diagnostics and or repairs.

If your car which seems to have been running fine suddenly gives the "check hybrid system" message and the ICE (engine) no longer stays running then check to see of the PCV hose has come off the intake or PCV valve. This was the reason for our issues. Once reattached, the car ran fine. This is a simple fix to get you going again and nothing more that removing the intake hose off the throttle body is required to put the hose back on. (that is if it was the end of the hose that attaches to the intake manifold.)
    Keep in mind that it may come off again soon if the conditions that caused it in the first place reoccur.
    I suspect that there was a backfire in the intake with the throttle body closed causing lots of pressure but I have no idea if this suspicion is valid or not. There may be a completely different issue causing the pressure.

Charlie
    :)

Grit likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This seems like it's going to be an ongoing problem, hoses don't just blow off, something's up.

Yes. At least, I'd think something is causing pressure, in the intake manifold. Isn't the normal condition partial vacuum?

3. cptsnoopy

cptsnoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I believe vacuum is the normal state during idle and part throttle.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And at full throttle at the most it approaches normal air pressure, never really goes positive. Normally.

Could the pressure be coming from the crankcase side?? I was watching a video the other day, someone running a VW of some ilk (turbocharged I think) on a dyno, revved up and up, and managed to blow the dipstick out. The hood was up, so it was quite entertaining, lol.

5. cptsnoopy

cptsnoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    There’s definitely pressure coming from the combustion chambers as blow by especially on the higher mileage engines. I’m not sure if it’s enough to cause this but it’s possible

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @danlatu (resident Oil Catch Can advocate and engine rebuilder) mentioned the other day that the hoses between PCV valve and intake manifold are typically, perhaps invariably, in partially vacuum condition. The question was whether hose clamps were needed, and the consensus was that they weren't, due to the typical vacuum condition, and there was actually more danger of hose collapse.

But you're having the opposite condition: pressure, enough to blow the hose off.

7. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hose from the pcv valve to intake manifold do have a spring clamps. I reused the 1/2 size when installing my occ. If you have a vacuum leak, you will throw a code. The prius is sensitive, I had a cps (camshaft position sensor) not fully seated and car shut off on me 5 miles away from home. Threw a bunch of codes. It looked as if it was plugged in all the way, unplugged it and plugged it back in. Cleared the codes with my obd reader (luckily it was in the car) and car has been running fine since.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 5.32.57 PM.png

8. cptsnoopy

cptsnoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    My code reader only picked up a P3190. That may be the fault of the code reader but it said that was the only code

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pressure in the PCB lines should be near that in the intake manifold, which is normally never above atmospheric in a normally aspirated engine. It would be higher with turbocharging or supercharging, or in case of a backfire.