1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCV Value Replacement ( Autozone vs Toyota Dealer part)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wirelessjava, Jul 9, 2016.

1. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is 65K miles on my Prius 2005 so I am going to change my PCV Valve

Autozone Price - 4.99

Toyota Dealership Price 15.81

Is the dealer ripping me off or do Autozone parts comparable ? Any suggestions?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why do you feel the need for a pcv valve at 65k? Are you the original owner? Such low mileage is amazing

johnnyb588 likes this.
  3. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The dealer is not ripping you off. You're going to pay around $15 anywhere. I replaced mine a couple months ago (at 150k) and I think I paid $14 for the part (OEM).

1. I would not replace your PCV. You have low miles. Unless it's giving you issues, just leave it be.
    2. If you are intent on replacing it, I would not go with an AutoZone part where such a small savings incentive is at stake. I'd fork over the extra $10 for OEM.
    3. Again, I wouldn't do it, but if you do, clean the throttle body and MAF while you're at it, and you might want to check your plugs as well. All of that stuff is easy to do together and generally occurs at similar intervals.

wirelessjava likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go oem, but that's the way i roll.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I asked the dealer to change plugs @ ~110,000miles, and they suggested PCV replacement for which they charged me $11 since they were doing the plugs anyway, so basically it was just price of part and free installation. - FWIW - Wil

wirelessjava and bisco like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 65K miles you do not need to be concerned about replacing the PCV valve. When you get to 100K miles, then start thinking about that.

You are located in CA and the dealers there typically have parts prices higher than MSRP. I personally would call pricing above MSRP to be a rip off...

For example, the AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway parts website shows MSRP at $9.88 while their price is $7.72.
    EMISSION SYSTEM for 2004 Toyota Prius

Parts.com offers the same part for $6.83. That probably will be shipped by a Toyota dealer in NV.
    Parts.com® | Genuine-Factory-OEM-2004-Toyota-Prius-Base-L4-1.5-Liter-ELECTRIC/GAS-EMISSION-SYSTEM

Obviously you have to pay for shipping, so it makes sense to buy parts over the web when you have several parts to buy at once: air/oil filters, wiper blades, etc.

bisco likes this.
  7. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the help Bros

bisco likes this.
  8. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    FYI, after reading Patrick's comment, I rechecked my purchase. I paid about $7, so I was wrong on the price I listed earlier.

"Rip off" is relative, but I would still suggest you try to find this part elsewhere where you can get <$10 including shipping online. $5 isn't much, but it's still $5 you don't HAVE to spend if you don't want to.

Also, my initial suggestion still stands. Don't replace it yet. :)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially for something so one-in-a-long-time, no point to gamble over a few $. An aftermarket part might be one-size-fits-several, might be a poor fit, or the more insidiously, the spec's might be different, the internal spring strength for example: might open sooner or later.

Or not. But again, I'd fall back to my first sentence.

bisco likes this.
  10. gatorglenn

gatorglenn Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think many aftermarket parts are as good as Toyota factory parts. But for a few dollars difference I would probably get the factory one. It is not a part tat needs to be replaced very often.

My question is, where is the PCV valve located? I would like to change mine.

Glenn

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to remove the wiring harness over the engine valve cover for access. The PCV valve is sticking out of the valve cover, pointing towards the inverter.

12. gatorglenn

gatorglenn Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks. I will look.

Glenn