1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCV Valve Replacement with Pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For both the 3rd and 4th pictures:
    • the vehicle is lifted off the floor about forty-eight inches,
    • the undercover is off,
    • I am underneath the vehicle on the front side of the engine looking up.
    I did all the work from underneath the vehicle. The only part that I needed to remove to gain access was the engine undercover.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Den, would a deep 22 mm socket, or an uncut wrench not work then? It "looks" like a socket wrench could be dropped onto it. Yeah, I know...

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think bisco was making any smart remarks, he was just asking questions and want to know the reason. I would be asking questions too if I don't understand why someone would replace something, such as transmission drain and refill since everyone at the dealership said don't change it. The more you ask, the more you know :)

4. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A medium length thin wall 22mm socket may work. I tried a deep 22mm socket, but it was too long, along with the socket wrench, to work within the confined space. An open end wrench does not turn because the fitting is wedged into adjacent surfaces.

All is resolved.

#24 Den49, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That helps, thanks. The Toyota shop manual wants the entire air cleaner assembly removed in the top. I'm really not sure why.

6. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Awesome exactly what i needed. now only if you can explain the location with more pictures or manual maybe because im still confused about where exactly it is located.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PCV valve is hiding under the intake manifold. That is why the OP had to go under the car for access to it.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It isn't clear why these cars should be more susceptible to PCV clogging than others. My last car went 600K miles on the original PCV valve, which never clogged or malfunctioned. Replacing it was not listed in the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

With a conventional PCV system, a plugged PCV valve (or excessive blowby) should lead to blowby gases exiting freely though the system's fresh-air intake plumbing, without building up significant pressure in the crankcase. I'm not sure whether there's something unconventional about the Prius in that respect.

#28 CR94, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not the prius, particularly, it's just a few members cars that seem to suffer. as patrick said, it may be due to short trips and the like. but your right, it isn't exactly clear why some have issues and others don't.

10. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Holy cow, changing my PCV valve improved my mileage from the low 40's to near 50 mpg where it should be. I've been struggling to figure out why my mileage had gone into the dumpster for about five months. I bought my PCV valve from NAPA.

Some tips for changing it: I'll post pictures, but it can almost be done from the top if another item is removed. I ended up doing it from underneath. Yes, it is behInd the intake manifold on the block, but one can see the hose clamp from the front so it's almost exposed. Taking the air cleaner box out helps, but the air intake tube doesn't need to come out as shown in the Toyota shop manual. Use a deep 22 mm socket if you're cautious, but a deep ⅞" socket also works. The little nub sticking out of the block onto which the PCV valve mounts does not provide enough clearance for a closed-end wrench, and there's almost no room for an open-ended wrench. The valve body has about 1cm of thread, so with cramped access it takes a while to back it out. I think the threads are tapered like a pipe thread - when I started the new one into the hole, I could only do a couple of turns by hand. I watched the valve body as I tightened it into the block, and it did go in straight.

Pictures tomorrow.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Odometer reading?
    Did you clean the PCV hoses with solvent?

12. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    74,336 miles, and the hose didn't seem to be very dirty.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Green ears perk-up all over when you mention gas mileage. Maybe this will engender more respect for the lowly PCV valve.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any clue how that's possible? Were there any other symptoms? Plugging of a PCV would tend to richen the fuel-air mixture slightly, but the fuel system should compensate.

With the engine idling, you should be able to get a rough idea whether the PCV system is functional by temporarily disconnecting the PCV intake hose and checking the net direction of flow. Air entering = OK. Blowby gases exiting = clogged system or excessive blowby. (That's assuming the Prius PCV system is essentially conventional, notwithstanding the unconventional valve location.)

#35 CR94, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another guy said his went from 40 - 50 by cleaning the injectors. who knows? seems like it can be anything with these cars.

17. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update:

Although I was initially skeptical, Dark_matter_doesn't's report of improved MPG after replacing his PCV valve motivated me to watch my MPG. Since replacing my PCV valve, my MPG over two tanks of gas, during about the same driving conditions, has gone from 48ish to 50ish. Maybe as the PCV valve gets dirty/clogged it causes increased crankcase pressure and reduced engine efficiency gradually over time so it is not noticed, until the valve is replaced and the efficiency is suddenly restored. I also notice that the car runs smoother and with more pep. I don't understand why Toyota does not call for more frequent replacement of the PCV valve.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Den, in another tank or two, you'll start relaxing your mpg technique, backslide to 48 mpg. ;)

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still confused where the PCV is located; looking forward to more pictures!

Regarding "behind the intake manifold," what does behind mean ? Towards the rear of the car ?

20. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, my wife drives the Prius and she doesn't pay attention to MPG. We don't have an "mpg technique". What I like about both the Prius and Avalon hybrid is you just drive them like any other car and the technology does all the fuel efficiency work.