1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCV valve

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jason Beauchamp, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jason Beauchamp

Jason Beauchamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve got a 2012 with 87K on it and I don’t see any evidence of using oil yet so my question is should I still replace the PCV when I install the OCC or wait till it actually starts using oil?

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's an $8-10 part, and pretty easy to change, if you're going to have the intake manifold off.
    But if you can get to easily, wouldn't hurt to change it with a new Toyota one.
    For some reason, cleaning it doesn't seem to do much. For any car.
    So for peace of mind, and possibly to eliminate a problem down the road, change it.

Jason Beauchamp likes this.
  3. Jason Beauchamp

Jason Beauchamp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point thanks. I guess since I’ll already be right there might as well go ahead and replace it.

ASRDogman likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've shot carb cleaner through ours twice now (and reused); seems fine. Only 88k kms though. But who knows, maybe the internal spring weakens over time? And yeah, the replacement part's around $10. Don't cheap out; get genuine Toyota part, say from dealership parts department.

New ones come with thread sealer applied. When I reinstalled ours I applied a little loctite blue with oil resistance (not the "permanent" red stuff). You don't absolutely have to I think, it just keeps from having an oil bloom where it screws in.

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  5. 310 Prius Owner

310 Prius Owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree. I would replace if you are able to get to it. No sense waiting until it starts using oil to replace it.

ASRDogman likes this.