1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

peak oil 0-20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by aero50zoom, Nov 22, 2011.

1. aero50zoom

aero50zoom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i did a search for peak synthetic 0-20 oil, but information is scarce.
    i don't know the specs of this oil or if it's ok to use in the prius.
    I just wanted to say that PEP BOYS black friday sale will include 5 qts peak oil plus a premium oil filter for $14 with rebate, plus they will install for $10. good deal if the oil checks out.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    $14 for 5 quarts plus a filter seems way to cheap, something may be wrong. Mobil 1 or Toyota 0W20 synthetic oil usually sell for $6 to $7 a quart or more and a good quality oil filter is around $5.

Ask them to show you an oil container and look to see if it is the full synthetic, if it is 0W20, and if it is ILAC approved. If they are using oil out of a drum or won't show you the container I would say no thanks. Also, if you decide to do this, ask them if they will use a new crush washer for the oil drain plug and what torque values they will use for the drain plug and the filter cap.

I guess I would "just say no" to that deal.

EDIT: Looks as if Peak 0W20 really is a full synthetic ILSAC approved oil. The oil is probably OK if that is really what you get for $14 deal. http://smitsgroup.co.nz/p4845v0/PEAK/PEAK-Performance-Full-Synthetic-SAE-0W-20-Motor-Oil

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw the same flyer in the mail. It's not necessarily that something is wrong with the product, rather most likely one of their "deal busters" (aka lost $ promos) to get you in the store so you'll buy other stuff. I didn't pay much attention to the flyer, but it might be one of those with rebates, too. There's a lot of Black Friday deals that are "too good to be true" but they are usually limited quantity, 1 offer only, and as I mentioned, designed to get you into their store to get ripped off on other items :)

1 person likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    (Note that this is not an oil change offer, but just the oil).

It's good to see a new 0w-20 oil, at a competitive price.

Someone actually had an oil analysis done of Peak 0w-20:

VOA Peak Synthetic 0W/20 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Bottom line is you should be fine with this oil, but if you're unsure, go with something else, or change it out earlier than 10k miles.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but.... Read the comments in that thread. It sounds a little weak compared to the brand name oils (I haven't compared it myself)

Peak has licensed their 0W-20 with API as a 0W-20 SN grade oil so I can't get too excited.
    API EOLCS | Brand Search Results

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good info here.

For use as a 1 time oil change product, I don't know that I'd be too worried. In other words, if the OP wanted to get the stuff to do one oil change for dirt cheap, probably wouldn't have any issues. I don't know that we have enough data on peak to recommend it for a longer term oil to use.

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are changing the oil every 5k as you should be, then the Peak 0w-20 is probably fine. I definitely would not run it for 10k.

Also, Bosch doesn't have a filter that Pep Boys carries for our cars.

8. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea, I think the Peak would be fine, from looking at the oil and comparing to toyota, not much difference. You need the filter for the rebate so, if you can't find a filter they cary for one of your other cars, talk to a friend that changes their own oil and get them a filter for their car.

Very limited with the filters they cary, unless they have some off the shelf.