1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Peak oil, peak coal, green house gasses

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by austingreen, Jul 28, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We had a discussion on anouther thread about peak oil versus plateau oil. I'll leave it to the DOE to explain why they talk about plateau - which IMHO is correct

Washington considers a decline of world oil production as of 2011 | Oil Man

Prices did rise and oil investments increased

World Crude Oil Production by Year (Thousand Barrels per Day)

One reason investment may not be there is government concern for ghg. The investment get's us more unconventional oil that produces more ghg. How much more - range estimates are 5%-37%, but I would throw out the outliers on top and bottom and say 10%-25% more ghg. Your gasoline will become more expensive and carbon intense in the future. We may see another glut, in the short term if sanctions are lifted against iran. They have so much oil they can't sell right now they have filled all storage, and now are filling tankers that have no where to go. But after the decline will be another price spike.

Which leads us to peak coal. People are estimating 100s of years, but I expect a plateu and decline much sooner, within 20 years. Why? If you look at how polluted china is, they need to be able to breath. Solar, Wind, natural gas, nuclear have to be cheaper than coal sometime in the near future. At that point we will be decomissioning more coal plants around the world than building new ones. Demand for coal will have to decrease. This peak has already happened in North America. The one wild card here is peoples desires to curb ghg. There is the possibility that the fuel gets cheap enough and CCS gets inexpensive enough that we do start building IGCC + CCS plants.

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both are the wrong questions.

What is peak CO2 from oil, coal and natural gas fossil fuels to stop environmental catastrophe of man made global warming. The science tells us we need to reduce use of fossil fuels to reduce and reverse fossil fuel caused global warming. We don't care how much more damage we can do with the extraction and use of existing fossil fuels.

US has an even more immediate subset of problems caused by oil use. The $500B per year oil import tax on US economy, $6T over last thirty years when US abandoned energy conservation and alternative energy in favor of increased oil dependence. And then there is the economic drag of 70% of US's $1.4T per year military spending, the entire $14T in debt run up over last 30 years plus the national security threats created by US supporting Saddam and Bin Laden in the misguided attempt to secure Middle East oil supplies.

That BP and Exxon claim they can extract more oil with deeper and more unstable wells near US coasts is not the issue. Getting US to use 50% less oil, coal and natural gas to match other advanced nation's level of energy efficiency is the key.

Garçon! More Teslas for my friends!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My perspective is on net new CO2 and not fuel-by-fuel. Conventionally extractable crude oil may peak or plateau, but there are several prominent alternatives to fill in.

As long as people, generally, are willing to buy more energy (and emit more CO2), there is no plateau or peak->decline. It's up from here. (5-decade view)

If liquid transportation fuels were a niche that could only be filled by conventional crude oil, then we could talk about peak petrol. But I think we can rely on chemists to continue to devise ways to convert essentially any hydrocarbon to essentially any other hydrocarbon.

austingreen likes this.
  4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Once maximum world oil production is reached, that level will be approximately maintained for several years thereafter, creating an undulating plateau. After this plateau period, production will experience a decline."

This sound like a peak to me.

You can have a plateau followed by a cliff if you really want.

Time to exhaustion of any fixed resource should always be clearly kept in mind, and calculated from the rate of use, AND rate of CHANGE of rate of use. If you aren't including the second derivative in your calculations you are always going to be surprised.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fine. People that say peak, seem mad when experts say plateau. So much so that they get upset and have conspiracies on why the DOE talks about plateaus. As long as you understand that if there is a cliff its because gas has gotten expensive, and other things have gotten less expensive, we are all good.

When we look at non-Opec conventional oil, we have already hit maximum production. When it comes to Opec, acting as a cartel, its maximum production is determined by politics and price. That's the light stuff you simply stick a straw into the ground to get. When you add in the hard to get stuff, like the fields in the midwest, in the deep water, the heavy crude, oil sands, oil shale, other petrolem liquids there are about 200 years of known researves in North America for North American demand. The DOE also includes biofuels as fuel liquids, meaning there is no limited number of years. Which means the drill baby drill folks are right, we could be self sufficient soon. But.... much of this oil is not economic at today's prices. There is also input to not allow full exploitation for environmental reasons. This means you can not do a second derivitive without knowing how people and governments act. It definitely is not a simple geology question.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes this is correct, converting coal and nat gas to liquid fuels is long proven technology in commercial practice.

Right now in USA we have a number of venture capital firms working on biomass (wood)-to-liquids, since Congress has subsidized creating liquids from renewable sources, and I believe mandated that these fuels be used, when the production starts. But generally it is the same chemistry as converting coal and gas to liquids, and at least one of these venture groups is shifting to natural gas as their starting point, which is already proven.

austingreen likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wood decomposition, whether in the forest or as a lab step preparing for ethanol/methanol/butanol production, is impeded by lignin. That is the tough stuff. The cellulose is what bacteria are eager to ferment.

Few fungi (and fewer bacteria) can decompose lignin. For about 100 years the main description has been 'white-rot fungi'. These days, some 40 spp. of white rotters have been completely sequenced and many others partially so. This is an enormous resource for people like me, who want to know which fungi are 'doing it' in the forest and how they interact with each other.

It was quite expensive and paid for by bioenergy research in US and EU. All the sequences are free online to be BLASTED (which to be honest is something I don't know how to do -- collaborators). But is knowledge would be absent w/o investment by the cellulose -> alcohol folks.

So, while one may argue that ethanol makes not much sense as a fuel, I and others will benefit from the knowledge it paid for.

Perhaps OT here, I was following wjtracy's mention of biofuels. But I believe it makes a relavent point for Enviro (or other) topics: Even research that you may think is pretty dumb can generate valuable knowledge for other areas.

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Natural gas is plentiful.
    Its safer than nukes with low CO2 (if that matters).But we have the nuke option as well.(IMHO coal is safer but since you all hate CO2 ,then nuke em.)Interesting that one of the the main financial backers of AGW FUD are the Nuke industry.
    We could make make oil as obsolete as whale oil tomorrow,with no effect on the economy.

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The extreme natural gas extraction methods required, fracturing, hugely destructive and water intensive and a source of massive water pollution so saying gas is "plentiful" has a huge caveat.

As far as US economic issues, if US replaced oil with natural gas we are then importing natural gas instead of oil and are right back in the same economic and national security ditch, spending $500B a year to import it and another $1.4T a year to "secure" supplies, befriending the next Shah, Saddam or Bin Laden.

Biggest push for US right now is to cut energy use 50% to match the per capita and per GDP energy efficiency of every other advanced economy. It cuts our greenhouse gases by 50%, if focused on oil use, it eliminates the economic and national security costs and dangers. The focus on growth via alternatives. We already have a surplus of windpower to the point BPA is shutting it down so it doesn't compete. Same with solar even at the retail level with solar hot water and solar PV panels on homes and commercial buildings.

The 50% reduction buys us time and money to build alternatives even exotics like fusion power.

It's why the various "peak" conservations are irrelevant to US and world current energy problems.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    From this data (said to be outdated)

List of countries by ratio of GDP to carbon dioxide emissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA is far down the GDP/CO2 list. Doubling the ratio would put us ahead of Japan but not quite to France. Those are the two countries with largest % nuclear in the energy mix, yes?

I would not regard the highest countries on the list as development goals for USA though.

All that said I certainly agree with Proximal , and have said before that there is much room for increased energy efficiency in USA and most countries. Starting with the ones that have negative costs.

Ah nuclear...a complicated subject, to be sure. It's lots of things/issues/groups.

A thermonuclear generator that did not produce (much) long-lived isotopes in need of geologic storage, and demonstrably safe enough to attract investors absent Price-Anderson, would please many people and sell like hotcakes. Even better than the Westinghouse AP1000, which is doing rather well in the global market.

I truly doubt that mojo and I are the only 2 poeple here who don't hate CO2. I see it as an indispensable trace gas, without which we would surely die (starve). But as levels now exceed those at any earlier time in human history, the presumption that more&more will be on balance better&better? Perhaps a bit of evidence could be offered? Experimental, modeling, something?

Otherwise the proposal calls for faith w/o evidence. Trust w/o reservation. I'm a sceptic.

11. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed conservation is a priority, but natural gas is domestic.
    Your statement about imports of natural gas is just plain wrong.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which part of it is wrong? The part that fracking comes at considerbe environmetal cost?

Icarus

13. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    If you'd bother to quote what you're replying to, you'd get a more relevant answer.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, but we should remember to get methanol from wood, all we need to do is cook it in the right equipment at the right temperature along with a proper amount of water. It is quite renewable. Race cars used to run on the stuff directly. Exxon has a plant in New Zealand for converting methanol to gasoline. It simply is cheaper converting natural gas to methanol. Doing it in a renewable fassion from fast growing woody plants is no problem at all. Getting the celulose to ethanol, that is what is expensive, and needs fungi or bacteria.

15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "if US replaced oil with natural gas we are then importing natural gas instead of oil and are right back in the same economic and national security ditch," ProximalSuns

We wont be importing natural gas,thats part of the attractiveness.
    Fracking just needs to be regulated to protect water sources.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand the question correctly it was natural gas versus oil in something like the picken's plan, and the response was we would import the natural gas.

Well we may import some of the natural gas from Canada and Mexico, but we would not import it from outside of north america. So no in the medium term most of the natural gas would come from the US, the rest would come from local friends. This is oposed to directly offseting importing OPEC oil and using oil sands.

As far as environmental costs, there is the cost of the diesel pollution from the trucks and the cost of converting the oil sands in canada to diesel truck pollution versus fracking for the natural gas and much less ghg and unhealthy pollution from the trucks. Yes both have costs but the second one is much much lower. We should definitely produce regulations to make fracking of natural gas more environmentally friendly though. Pick your poison, but don't just criticize the less damaging one, because you want to keep going with the status quo pollution.

On natural gas versus keeping 40+ year old polluting coal plants running the choice is even more clear. Both use north american energy, but one produces much lower environmental problems and is compatible with adding renewables. The only reason to justify keeping these old plants going, is they are paid for, so rates are low especially since they are allowed to pollute much more than new plants. Anyone looking at the environment would kill the grandfathering within 5 years and force them to add scrubbers - which would force them to close - or close down. The excuse by coal politicians is natural gas is too expensive, that fracking is too poluting (but please ignore mountain top removal), that excuse has got to go away. Currently we close these down by lawsuit, suing that they have made too many modifications to still be grandfathered. Its a slow and expensive process that congress could enforce with a stroke of the pen.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I like it when MoJo talks energy strategy!
    I am a long time natural gas advocate, way before anyone knew anything about shale gas.
    That means I was aware of Liquified Petroleum Gas and had visited the inactive LPG port at Calvert Cliffs MD.
    Well, I was really visiting the fossil fields there along the river/bay at Calverts Cliffs and LPG terminal is right there. So in the past I thought we should be importing LPG. Now it looks like we do not need to. But I disagree with the premise that all energy imports must be banned. LPG comes from different locations than petroleum, and can be considered part of a diversified mix, whereas diversification is by definition more secure.

CORRECTION- Meant to say LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) replace all LPG with LNG above, got lost in my own alphabet soup, dang it.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    AG, the wood-> methanol ('wood alcohol') isjust as diect as you say, but it is very low yielding. The high-yielding microbial fermentations are another matter.

Starting with natural gas, coal, etc to do the chemistry, it is another matter entirely. Re-introducing fossil C to the atmosphere, no matter what you do with it. An oil spill, cleaned by bacteria? CO2 to the atmosphere.

All kinds of bioE nibble off recent photosynthesis. Herbivores, carnivors, and BioE plants simply make less C available to the decomposers.

The financials and efficiency of all carbon/energy processess are secondary to this fundamental distinction.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yield is a funny thing. You take a woody plant, and do a low yielding inexpensive process on it, and you still get a much higher yield of methanol btus per acre or per $ or per energy input, than you get from corn + yeast to ethanol btu per acre or per $. But with natural gas being so much cheaper than wood, we use 1/3 of its energy to produce methanol, that uses no acres of land but produces net ghg. Now the politicians want to give to the corn farmers... but we may be going for methanol, and when natural gas gets scarce biologically or simple chemistry can provide it methanol from garbage or woody plants. As brazil led the world with ethanol - from sugar cane with much higher EROEI than corn- china may lead on methanol.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/opinion/methanol-as-an-alternative-to-gasoline.html
    Of course, if we get rid of the politics and plan ahead we could mandate M25/E25 or even M85/E85 cars so we can switch depending on what fuel is least expensive

Then again, what are the odds of congress doing something that doesn't get them campaign contributions and is just good for the country?
    Certainly true. When it comes to ethanol, the processes seem best left to the yeast, bacteria, and fungi. When we get to methanol or methane, simple industrial chemical processes maybe the most efficient.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A