1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pedestrian warning or bearing failing--2017-4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dslomer64, Nov 16, 2018.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2017 Prius Four (non-touring--dumb decision) makes the high-pitched sound that I hope I can attach. It sounds like a bunch of loud crickets or a '50s movie space ship ... or a bearing going out.

I can't find in the manual's index anything about a low-speed warning for pedestrians. Dealer said "depends on how your car is equipped" so i left it at that.

Googling turned up a thread here that included a link to a sound clip, but it's broken. So I've started a new thread with the sound.

After reading the other thread, I'm confident there's nothing wrong. But just to make sure and to provide my car's sound for others to compare to here is how far I've gotten I this, my first try at uploading sound file:

EDIT: I tried to use [ U R L ]...[ / U R L ] (with no spaces; can't submit otherwise) but message says Video format not supported, but link is to .mp3 file. If I click icon to insert a file, all sound files are grayed out. I assume there IS a way to upload a sound file, but I obviously don't know the right format or method, so I'll give up unless I can figure out how to do so.

#1 dslomer64, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, they've all been equipped with it since 2012, dealer clueless as usual

bearing wouldn't make noise at low speed

gen 4 has the ability to change volume

dslomer64 likes this.
  3. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can go to YouTube then to Weber Auto and in the video for the gen 4 cooling system, John shows you the speaker for it in front of the radiator assemblies.

4. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had asked in note when scheduling final free maintenance that the "noise" be diagnosed, then posted here. After reassurance here, noise left my mind over the next several weeks.

Day of maintenance, service writer asked me to show him the noise. I told him what it surely is. He in turn showed "mechanic", who apparently informed him that it was a normal noise coming from the inverter coolant pump.

Yeah.

I let it go. At least they didn't repeat the writer's over-the-phone "bearing" diagnosis.

I live much closer to a different dealer. I'll have subsequent service done there. Not because one mechanic and one service writer had no clue about a fundamental Prius characteristic, but ...

Well, maybe that.

I don't necessarily expect it to be better service, but I can walk to and from to leave and pick up car. I did this twice with the '06. Little over 3.5 miles one way.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.