1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pee and poo

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Apr 21, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Fascinating topics for most, from preschool to middle-school ages. For some ecologists the thrill just never goes away.

Each year you ingest about 100 kilograms of food (not counting its water), but as you have no doubt noticed, your body weight is either constant, or increasing much more slowly. So, where does it go? I think you know in a general sense. But let’s get more specific.

That food contains about 4 kg of nitrogen and 0.4 kg of phosphorus, with most of both being, let us say, ‘not retained’. Because poo appears much more tangible than pee, you might suppose that the nitrogen and phosphorus are there. This turns out not to be the case.

Your poo is mostly undigested food (called fiber and praised for its health benefits) and microbial cells. Those cells lived in your intestines but could not avoid the ‘conveyor belt’. Altogether they comprise less than a third of nitrogen and phosphorus intake.

Let us not neglect that human poo was a typical agricultural fertilizer before civilization became fastidious, and in many places it still is. This is not so much because of its N or P, but because agricultural-land microbes take advantage (a second shot) at this mostly carbon stuff.

Humans are now 7.5 billions, with 9 being likely in near future and 10 possible. This represents a lot of N and P. Agriculturally significant.

Consider poo. The lesser fertilizer, and at any time, a considerable fraction of ‘donors’ have some sickness. All you have read about E. coli etc. contaminating vegetables etc. relates to this. Not saying there is no role for human poo in agriculture, but it must be used with caution.

Consider pee. Two-thirds of your N and P go here. That your output is sterile is, well, somewhat overstated. But this stuff has gone though thorough metabolic processing, as opposed to poo which was (as you might not suppose) functionally external to the organism. There is no evidence that urinary-tract diseases can be transferred with ‘agriculture’ as an intermediate step AFAIK.

So in the future, as we may move to ‘close up’ nutrient cycles and stimulate agricultural production, human pee ought to be a thing. We are now civilized and put our poo and pee in a unified export stream, but I think this merits reconsideration.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was under the impression the dried, caked sewage could be used for non-food stuff crops (i.e., cotton.) I just reviewed the Wiki entry and understand why I no longer see the long berms of dried sewage south of town. Apparently it led to accumulated heavy metals and chemical collection in the fields.

As for urine collection, there is a separation and collection challenge.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A candidate for a position here presented pilot scale work done at a waste water treatment plant. They diverted part of plants output through three small ponds in sequence and grew algae. The algae was converted to biocrude through a thermal conversion/depolymerization process. They only made about 8 barrels a day; not enough to financial support the process. But they discovered the algae, which were just naturally occurring species, were producing a calcium compound, which I have completely forgotten the name of. Among other uses, it is used to accelerate bone growth at injury sites. This compound can turn the process into a profit generating one.

Years ago I read of someone looking into growing spirulina for waste water treatment in Africa. The algae could be used for animal or even human feed.

Considering how much of the country has adopted separate grey and black waste water systems(it's still all black under Pa code), collecting urine for farming on a societal scale will be a big challenge. The renewable fuels and coproducts production using waste water as a feed has a smaller hurdle.

Back to poo. The microbes could make up to 80% of it by mass. They also aren't all freeloaders either. Most of us have probably caught ads for probiotic supplements. The little guys release compounds that can be good for us. We get most of our vitamin K from them, which is important for blood clotting operation.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    aren't all freeloaders@4. Having microbes in our intestines is arguably essential for long-term survival. See research on human appendix on keeping 'backup copies' used after disease-induced system reboot.

Poo is absolutely agricultural fertilizer. Before or after processing (Hyperion plant, Los Angeles). But in terms of 'closing up' nutrient cycles, one must work with pee.

6. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Almost all of the human source of vitamin K comes from our diet, typically green leafy vegetables. Gut bacteria can convert dietary plant source K1 to K2. Both function as pro-coagulants to balance our bleeding/clotting pathways.

Except for pathogenic gut bacteria (rare), freeloading is rare. Symbiotic would apply to almost 100% of the bacteria in our guts.

Gut bacteria are tiny compared to our own cells, but outnumber our own cells by nearly 10x. Gut bacteria are important for digestion and the development of our immune system, and they protect us from pathogenic organisms such as clostridium difficile which can cause a nasty and potentially life threatening colitis.

Urine is actually sterile when it exits the body, save for rare cases of a bladder infection or salmonella poising. REIhas nevertheless developed two strategies for eliminating the risk of pathogens, either by solar pasteurization or long-term storage in a warm greenhouse. Both have proven effective.

As noted in the original thread post, it is a common misconception and repeated in this article that human urine output almost always is sterile. Many individuals, particularly a large percent of postmenopausal females are colonized with bacterial strains such as E. Coli, Klebsiella, Proteus, and Citrobacter. These do not represent urinary tract infections. Additionally, bacteria are commonly picked up upon exiting the urethra as they commonly hang out on the perineal area (the skin encompassing the anal/genital area).

As noted, there are known risks to untreated human fecal waste. Many public health gains have been achieved with properly handling/treating/disposing of this stuff.

Still the possibilities of urine as N and P fertilizer sources sounds intriguing. Even untreated, this stuff theoretically appears to be much safer than feces for agricultural purposes, and those organisms should not represent a problem. One question would be about the potential to propagate antibiotic resistance of these organisms and possibly spread the genes conferring resistance if using untreated urine for fertilizer.

In this case with sterilization, they have probably solved the problem.

#6 iplug, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    tochatihu likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Nice writing there Doc :D

View this as a pure engineering problem. At the outset these to waste streams are separate. By long practice they have been combined. First step is to undo that. First step could be costly at large scales! But still, engineering.

Second step is to assure that no harmful microbial or viral 'payload' gets carried along to the end use. It is favorable here that we are talking about a transparent liquid and either heating or UV irradiation would convert danger-DNA to just a bit more N and P in the stream. Engineering.

System cost is whatever it might be. Sensibly compare to Haber-process N plus P mining. Notice that P supplies are uneven across earth, and in many places already rare.

What we do now with human urine N and P, globally, is to feed organisms that humans mostly do not eat. That is OK I guess. But tightening up the loops merits some consideration.

+++
    By personal experience :rolleyes: urine left standing 'in the bowl' yields a chemical precipitate. I understand that to be iron carbonate. Don't know if the iron is 'from me' or bowl water. Easy enough to test by Howard Hughes protocol. But precipitates of any sort would impinge on engineering here.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The first step is more than an engineering problem; the toilets already exist. You have to get guys to sit down.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This reminds of a video posted yesterday. History lesson!

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Your annual output of N and P appears to equal 7$ of chemical fertilizer. Based on ton-scale 'farmer prices'. More than $200 compared to small packages of Miracle Grow (TM). This does not account for potassium, nor the blue color.

Blue color appears to be copper sulfate.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, separating urinal flow from commode is trivial. The hard part is the lady version of a urinal.

Bob Wilson

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So it is OK to piss on my wife's potted plants?

"No baby I love you facias. I'm just your mirical grow applicator. Sorry about the wall paper."​

Bob Wilson

William Redoubt likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Separately, think of how much fresh water could be saved by a lady version of a urinal.

But then, most men also don't have this water saving tool at home either, only in workplaces and public facilities.

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any data about drugs in sewage or wastewater? I've seen occasional reports about the drugs humans consume end up in the waste water stream. Testing for them is rare.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Female urinals already exist, and might date back to the '20s. It is more a cultural problem than an engineering one. There are already waterless male ones on some Interstate 95 rest stops. There might not be waterless female versions.

Either way, urinals aren't likely to be installed in homes because of space. But there is already a fix for that.

From the link @2, "A much more realistic option is urine-diverting toilets, which again the Swedes, masters of pee, have reliably engineered.
    Urine goes in the front side where it’s piped to a holding tank; all other waste and toilet paper falls to the back for composting.

The only complaint on the toilet, says board member Konrad Scheltema, is that the men have to sit to use it. Then again, the requirement keeps Nace’s bathroom clean."

The Stockholm Water Company has already diverted the urine from four housing projects to a grain farmer as part of a study in the '90s.

That will be part of future studies for this group.

"A real concern for Rich Earth? Left over pharmaceuticals that end up in urine. The EPA has selected Rich Earth for funding to conduct a study of traces of drugs in urine with the help of the University of Michigan and SUNY Buffalo."

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen writeups about various 'innovations' in female urinals over a very long time. But despite having female inventors with first-hand experience, they just don't seem to catch on.

It seems that virtually all new male urinals around here are the 1 pint (0.5 liter) per flush models, mostly in businesses, or waterless no-flush models, mostly in recreational facilities, rest stops, etc. I do see a few of the waterless models in businesses, but it seems that the odor control issue has not been perfected. Either way, this is a major water savings over the previous full gallon per flush standard.
    I wonder if it is just coincidence that a previous effort to force males to sit to pee also emanated from the Scandinavian region. Sorry, but not letting men stand to pee is more than just a cultural issue.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Kalahari Bushman all squat to urinate, even the men. I suspect that is also so of societies in which the squatting toilet is the norm, and those outnumber are sitting western models in the world.

So I don't see how standing to pee is more than a cultural issue.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I woke from my nap vaguely remembers a science fiction story about a biological critter/spacecraft (Scott Douglas?):
    • fed the people a bland portage that kept them alive
    • 'flowers' where they pee and poop that handled everything including the 'clean-up'
    I think the BBC once made a short series about it. Perhaps someone else remembers more details?

Bob Wilson

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've traveled in numerous regions were squat toilets are the norm, and didn't find an absence of male stand-up urinals in any of them.

Are you saying that I'm the only male on the planet who, after sitting down for multitasking, will sometimes stand up to fully complete one of those tasks?

William Redoubt likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This might have been a tidy discussion of nitrogen and phosphorous, ways and means. But no...