1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Peeling clearcoat

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Aug 10, 2022.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My 2012 PiP finally suffered the common Toyota cancer: peeling clear coat. Something I've never seen on any car I've ever owned before. Of course Toyota's position is that they don't guarantee their paint beyond the 36-month warranty that comes with the car.

Just another data point to keep in mind for us Toyota owners. Baby your paint or it's going to fail.

donbright likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it blizzard pearl by chance; that colour coat was failing.

3. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Seaglass Pearl

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. jm64

jm64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've noticed some of this starting on my 2014 PIP in Silver too, only on my drivers side doors and only on the portion of the doors right below the window that is angled more toward the sky. I attribute this particular location to my car being parked in one spot much more than normal during the pandemic as I shifted to working from home. Drivers side is south facing on my driveway, so it's baking all day. Not that it should fail, but I think this is a contributing factor.

I've also slacked on things like waxing it as the car has gotten older.

What's the best approach now to help mitigate it from getting worse?

My 2005 Honda Pilot is certainly suffering clear coat issues on the roof, but at 17 years it's doing fairly well.

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have the feeling that Toyota's choice of clear coat is deliberate. My wife drives a blue 2010 Camry hybrid. There are surprisingly a lot of them in this area. Every blue one that I've seen has the clear coat flaking off in similar areas. Those areas are the roof, the edge of the door just below the windows, the hood and the trunk. It started going bad around 2017.

There was once an interesting article that explained why car companies changed the car styles or colors every 4 to 5 years. Om essence, the idea was to make the older cars appear outdated so that there was a reason to trade in a perfectly good car with low mileage and no problems.

I find it extremely odd that the local paint shop says that they can't do anything about the peeling clear coat but they can repair and repaint the dented fender or door where it was run into.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They can fix it but it means painting the panel. Plus blending it into the next panel. If you have enough problem areas it is more cost effective to repaint the whole car. Most pro shops take off all trim, some windows, fix small dents and end up costing many thousands.

Alternatively, take it to Maaco for less than a thousand and they spray the whole car. You will be able to tell its been repainted but maybe it does not matter.

In many cases, drive through carwashes are responsible.

#6 rjparker, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must be the cali sun, i haven't seen any problems around here. my 2004 is down the street and still looks good.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You’re gonna need to maintain and protect your car if you want it to last long term. If you only go to drive-thru car-wash or use toxic chemicals like ammonia, its not gonna protect your paint. It’ll actually speed up the erosion/peeling process.

My advice is use quality wax like ceramic coating. Also clay bar wax to remove contaminants. Here’s the wax that I use on my prius and audi.

https://a.co/d/hNH54Qj

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ammonia will strip wax I think; I use it to wash my polishing clothes after waxing.

10. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So. My 2008 has hhhhoooorrrrible. clear coat. I've used a pressure washer to try and blast it all off it comes off in huge chunks. I've priced out repainting and it's hard to spend 2 grand on a car that is that old.....I'm thinking I will just repaint it myself this winter. I plan on buying a spray gun and using my compressor to shoot new color and clear coat. I can buy enough paint and equipment for under $300 to do the entire car. It's just my time which I don't have much. The other option is to remove all the clear coat and badges and trim and headlights myself and then have it sprayed by a local shop. The prep work to paint a car is like 8 hrs of labor. Spraying the car both color then clear takes about 4 hours total including drying time I understand. If you don't have much clear peeling you can rattle can clear coat it yourself. But in my case. Redoing the entire hood, roof and then sides is what it needs.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would you need to strip what's left first??

12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last spring the clearcoat began peeling off my roof. A lot is off there by now, but none elsewhere. Base is "Blue Ribbon Metallic."

13. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Paint Society - YouTube
    This resource has given me much good information and the confidence to be able to DIY.

14. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes absolutely. Even If you want your car wrapped which also costs $2,000 but lasts 3 years..... the difference in layers would be very visible. Clear coat can be wet sanded off. It is just labor intensive. Best to do compete panels sections. My car is so bad it is my only option.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't have time or money for that. When combined with the age and other wear and tear it's not worth it to me. I would have replaced the PiP over a year ago if I could get my hands on a Sienna that isn't priced higher than a new dual-motor Model 3. I've been on the wait list the only two dealerships in the area not doing markups for 15 months.

Off-topic, but it drives me crazy how sleazy dealers try to hide the real situation with their stock. They'll show hundreds of cars in stock on their Web site, but when you go to the dealership you find out they're counting pre-sold cars that haven't even shipped from the factory yet. The *real* inventory of new cars available to purchase is that one of the largest Toyota dealers in the United States only has 2 sedans and zero vans in stock. No hybrids or electrics in stock whatsoever.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  16. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My Car is Blizzard white, I'm anal about all my cars. The car sees covered parking for 5 of 7 days a week. As described by others the paint suddenly started peeling just below the seal of the passenger window last month and now suddenly the driver's door. This is clearly poor paint quality, and not a lack of maintenance. The pisser is that three months ago I noticed the nose was getting a bit of wear from my daily commute. I hate repaints over old parts so I purchased a new factory nose, headlamps, marker lights, emblems, and grille assembly from Toyota. Now my simple freshen up is turning into a mightmare, did I mention the rear spoiler finish just started failing as well.
    I own my own lift and do all my own service far ahead of Toyota's recommended scheduling. As a commuter car. I never expected to keep this car past the use of the green sticker, but it hasn't let me down until now.... Likely another $2500 to paint the nose and now both doors plus replace the rear spoiler, only to sell it off.....

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  17. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    As an FYI, no wax or any other coating will prevent an inferior paint job from peeling. The paint flaking off the car is so thin, it's ridiculous. My car has never ever seen a car wash, gets washed with a new microfiber and dried with new microfiber towels with each weekly washing. No chemicals other than wax, and I'm the original owner.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota charged extra (still does, I wouldn’t doubt) for this colour.

19. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The thing that really angers me about it is you spend a decade taking pains to service the car in every way possible to make sure it's an investment to last a very long time and then one thing that you have absolutely no control over just prematurely fails on you. A thing that to fix "right" would cost more than the car's blue book value. Toyota really dropped the ball on the paint. Paint that can't last ten years is not compatible with maintaining a reputation as a car your can buy as an investment and count on for years to come.

The failing paint on the PiP really has me second guessing a Toyota as my next purchase. The only reason Toyota is still a consideration is because the car was parked in the sun for 7 of those years. If it had been in the garage and the paint failed like that Toyota would absolutely be out of the question for my next purchase.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  20. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100%, paint is my Kryptonite. No matter what the car will never be the same as a factory paint job in terms of quality (I’ll be able to detect that it’s not perfect and it’s blended). Yes a proper repaint could easily top 15k