1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Peeling clearcoat

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Aug 10, 2022.

1. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drive a 2013 Toyota Prius plug in (106,000 miles) always parked in garage. No visible signs of paint failing or clear coat flaking so far. Paint looks great on this car. I do wax my vehicle at least once a year with a McGuire's synthetic type wax product. Finish looks phenomenal, actually still like new. Clearly it seems parking a vehicle in sun seems to be determining factor. Sorry Toyota decided to skimp on this process as this does not occur on all vehicles/manufacturers.

nicoj36 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it Blizzard Pearl? That’s the effected colour.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can assure you clearcoat peels off Toyota's "Blue Ribbon Metallic" paint color too, at least if it's parked outdoors a few years. Clearcoat should last longer on white, because it won't become as hot in sunshine.

"Affected," not "effected."

N.J.PRIUS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I looked at that, asked myself if anything looked wrong, said nah…

CR94 and ColoradoCrow like this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Sounds like me all the LOL. Yes I think historically blue cars are know to be the worse clear coat peelers. Followed by red.
    To the point where in the animated Cars movie there are a few scenes with older cars(I think one was a track accouncer”
    That were drawn with peeling clear coat. My wife spotted that and after rewinding and going frame by frame I saw it……
    We laughed for like 20 mins!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'll be the first one, maybe to let the cat out of the bag...... I called Toyota Customer service and expressed my unhappiness with the Blizzard White paint peeling issue and Bam!!! As of DEC '22 the Prius is covered. I was approved for a repaint of my car last Saturday. As luck would have it on Thursday night a crazed person driving a Honda Civic decided to make a left in front of me as I was going through the intersection..... on a 100% green light. The car is now totaled!
    I had purchased everything for the front of the car because I figured its going to get painted, and I want the car to look mint again. Yeah I'm beyond anal....I have an entire nose, grill assembly headlights etc. front and rear rotors, pads small parts. You name it I have it all with receipts from Toyota. Seriously bummed.... As an FYI, I walked away as if nothing ever happened. Incredibly well engineered car.

N.J.PRIUS and dbstoo like this.
  7. Barcelona Red

Barcelona Red OM dream mobile sea glass

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, my 2008 red car paint was peeling off. No garage at home to protect it. But after reading this thread maybe it would have peeled anyway. I was considering trading it in when I was shopping for a newer used Prius. The dealer used car guy said it would cost $1000 or so to repaint it, and could only off $521 for trade in!
    So I went to car parts store, bought black spray paint, Barcelona Red touch up paint and desert sand mica touch up paint for fun. I was going to keep the car going but decided I had spent too much in maintenance in the last few years.

20230207_121442.jpg

8. Barcelona Red

Barcelona Red OM dream mobile sea glass

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PS Sold her yesterday to a guy who said he was buying it for his 17 year old sister