1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 Full Synthetic $10.00 FOR 5 qt Jug @ WalMart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Moose, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was at my local Walmart yesterday, and since they did not have stock of the oil I wanted, I looked at specs of other brands. Both Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum have been reformulated to inferior specs. Both are GF5, but neither are ACEA A1. Only Pennzoil Platinum Ultra retains the high spec in a 0w-20 grade.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, 48 pack of Kirkland AA batteries. First time I bought them thought they'd never run out, I was in trouble. But grandkids with innumerable toys came to my rescue.

BTW, I really value having a multi meter to check them.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^COSTCO has the SANYO eneloop rechargeables, which I mostly use.
    Now though it appears SANYO is supplying others (eg; DURACELL) with their batteries, so you can pick up at Walmart Amazon etc. Check Amazon reviews for comments, but in particular some of the Duracell AAA rechargeables look good. Keep in mind as I say these all seem to be SANYO-made. Cost is fairly high, but I like for toys because I hate when the regular batteries corrode and you get a mess in the toy.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder how much toxicity enters into the food chain from these disposables.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well we're off topic but its NiMH so same as Prius?
    Old NiCADs yes they died all the time...but I don't recall ever discarding an NiMH.

#25 wjtracy, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I read a little this morning ..

Disposable 'alkaline' are make of of K(OH), manganese and Zinc. The metals pass the EPA test for landfill disposal but fail the 'bioassay' used by some 3 or 4 states.

Nickel, as found in NiMH rechargeables, is required by law to not end up in landfill. As you know, Toyota pays a handsome fee to have the hybrid batteries returned for recycling. Since people are not paid to do the right thing with household batteries I'll guess that they are routinely thrown into the trash.

Cadmium is the same deal as Nickel.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting back on topic, or trying to, one nice thing about lube oil 5-qt containers is they basically suggest you can put your used lubes in there for return to the recycle center. I got a bunch in my garage, ready to head over to the County recycle center along with some old NiCADs. I will check to see if the recycle center is also collecting NiMH.

#27 wjtracy, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Merkey likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up here there's numerous place that will take used batteries. Best Buy for instance, they also take old CDs /DVDs, and some other items, maybe old cell phones and remotes?

Merkey likes this.
  9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do the fuel discounts work? I bought a 5qt PP jug at WMT, but there were no codes under the cap.
    Thanks!

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In that case you have to send in your receipt as proof of purchase. Check out fuelrewards.com for the details.
    That happened to me once; IIRC I was able to take photos of the receipts and email them in. Pretty painless, particularly in the world of rebates.

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  11. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to find 5 qt jugs dated before 06/30/14. There are some of the older dated containers still around my area but most retailers have removed them from the shelves (or sold them). The promotion officially ended 06/30/14 but Pennzoil will still accept the codes under the caps until 12/31/14 and the fuel savings must be used by 12/31/14.

I'm tempted (very tempted) to get just one more jug but golly gee, I have too much in my stockpile already!

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a jug at home that I haven't claimed the gas discount. How is this done again? Is it a code you put in at the pump?

13. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to get a fuel rewards network (FRN) card from a Shell station (which is what I did). You can have one mailed to you but who knows how long that would take. Once you register your card at fuelrewards.com, you log in and type in the FRN rewards code at the upper right corner of the screen to get your $$$$$. It was a really good deal.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll claim my reward if it's that easy. I usually fill up at Sam's Club and now I have to find a Shell to save me a few bucks..

15. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked it up. The terms have changes, probably due to code thieves.

16. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone received the shell rebate or FRN under the new rules?
    Based on this thread, I submitted my forms and receipts. The rebate was denied, due to them "not received" the receipts that was clearly a lie. I contacted them and was asked to email the receipts. After I did, the status changed to "processing" .
    Well, I just checked and now it's denied and no reason stated.

I also didn't receive the FRN codes in 10 business days like they said. I called them and was informed the rebate has to go through first.

This is very shady for a major company.