1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

People are always losing their key fobs.....

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lies Angeles, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Lies Angeles

Lies Angeles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If you are in LA this is for you.....

Dealerships charge a little over $500 dollars for a new one. Fob, laser cut, and program.

I found a place where you can get a Fob, cut, and program for $220.

I just had it done today and it took about 20 minutes in total.

Just thought I would pass on the resource.

A little tiny kiosk named "Studio City Plaza Lock and Key".
    Almost near the intersection of Laurel Canyon and Ventura blvd.
    818-674-9994
    I hop that helps someone save some money.

Jon Senum and glennonrp like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can program a key fob yourself for free with instructions on this site. Keyfob maybe cost you $100 online.

Where did you get the $500 figure from? Lies Angeles somewhere?

3. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    DEALERSHIP as posted in the original post. Want to know which specific one? I would imagine all are the same or nearly the same since they took it out of the parts computer and showed me the prices. I would imagine those computers have the same prices at nearly all dealers?
    Can you laser cut the key on this site as well? Dealerships charge for that too.
    4 key places told me that they could not cut that key and could not program the car.
    Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and two independent shops.
    You can be snarky if you like but the truth is that I just did the work.....and there is a long post of people who were having the same problem in the past. I thought I would be helpful to others.

2015 Prius Persona is the car you are now finding a key for................Go!!!

I will happily wait to hear how you program a key fob with only one other and laser cut your key for free and buy the key fob for under $100.

We all want to save money. If you have found this way...share with us

Toyota Prius 2015 - Smart Key - 3 Button | iKeyless

PS......This is the one that goes with the car.

#3 Lies Angeles, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
    glennonrp likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The transmitter has a MSRP from Toyota for only $182.85, online discounts can bring it to $130. Maybe not exactly $100 but not $500.

When you go to a dealership parts counter, for $182.85, they will laser cut your key for FREE. As a courtesy, when you buy it online for $130, many parts counters at dealerships will also cut your key for FREE. The dealership will charge an hourly rate of $120 per hour to program the key, which brings the retail price to about $300 for the key plus programming.

The laser cut does not do anything but open your door, it does not start the car, doesn't do anything special. It's a key that 99.9999 percent of people don't use. In fact, many don't even know that key exists in the fob.

I'm just trying to save you money.

#4 JC91006, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    nicholas_k likes this.
  5. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Ok. The Keyes dealership on Van Nuys blvd has price of $250 for the Fob, charge for the cut, and charge for programming. You can argue with them if you like. There is a difference between online reality and REALITY. That's the charge that they offer. Their price is a lil over $500 for everything.

I saved money already. But thank you for trying to save me money.

What my point in telling people online is not to have someone tell me what they think is out there but tell people what is REALITY out there. The dealerships try to charge as much as possible. I found what I considered to be a much better price and to share it with others.

In no way did I feel my post was malicious or rude by trying to tell people my story and offer what I found to work. I did not come here to hear you find deals allegedly online.
    I paid $220 so even with all of the hot air in your posts and trying to be king...if you go back and read I paid $220. You just stated you can find it for $300.

My math skills say that $220 (which I paid) is less than your total of $300.

If you have nothing positive to say....why waste your time posting?
    If you do not need a fob or haven't spent the time researching, can't provide a price better than $220 with locations and numbers, why did you waste your time online?

The only thing that makes any sense in your posting here is that you misread my original post and think that ONLY the Fob was $500 to me. $500 was for Fob, cut, and program at dealership.
    Once again....The Fob, the laser cut, and programmed for $220 while I wait about 20 minutes at the location I found.
    Thats still cheaper than the $300 you just quoted.

Ps...Happy Easter.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have nothing positive to say....why waste your time posting?
    If you do not need a fob or haven't spent the time researching, can't provide a price better than $220 with locations and numbers, why did you waste your time online?

1. Camelback Toyota - $131.xx
    free shipping after $150 - no sales tax for California
    2. DIY Programming FREE - $0
    3. Time saved by not going to someone else to program - $PRICELESS

I believe that beats your $220 you've been advertising. But you're right, your company charges less than a retail dealer at around $300. But anybody trying to save money would just DIY for $131.xx

PS. Next time you want to save money, try not getting quotes from the service dept and go straight to the parts dept.

#6 JC91006, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Im not sure who Camelback Toyota is...So I guess without knowing who they are I could not get their deal. I saw the fob even on some E-bay sites (As I linked to you) for $188 plus Tax.
    I would not get the free shipping from Camelback since your price is 131.xx. and you state that Shipping is free if over $150.
    In Cali there is online sales tax now??
    So in my estimate...that brings me up to just under $150 with your site.
    Where are you finding the programming info for the 2015 Prius Persona? I have not seen it here. Have you posted it here?
    You still did not get me a price on the laser cutting also. (I know you don't want it but its only fair to give a better price if you get equal service).

This is not my company that I went to either....Just to make that clear. Just someone I found. Just so you don't think I'm plugging them.

So all in all....You found a company that sells it for $30 dollars more than my fob. I have to pay shipping and (Supposedly tax in Cali), wait for them to ship it out, receive it, not get the key cut, and program it for free without instructions.

Everyone including me would love to save money and I will be happy to look into your online suggestions even but you should post the programming instructions here for everyone else and save them money! Remember its a 2015 Prius Persona. Not the old programming instructions for the 2008 Prius.
    I am sure everyone will appreciate it. How much of a deal do you get on laser cutting services?

If you provide all three services for less than $220 I think you should create a new post since it is quite popular of a problem on here. I had to read through pages of old posts to find some old info.
    I will even help since the point of the forum is to provide a helping hand to others and provide a friendly environment in which we could all educate each other.

I look forward to hearing from you...(as I google your dealership in Phoenix Arizona named Camelback)

bisco likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are many threads on here that cover a programming of a new keyfob for the Gen3 cars, all you need is the techstream software (a must have if you're working on your Prius) for $25 from Amazon or Ebay. This is the same software Toyota techs use to diagnose your car when it breaks down.

Here's a thread that discusses the addition of a keyfob. Adding a new keyfob doesn't require anything special....you are not reseeding.

Programming the Smart Key | PriusChat

3Prongpaul has covered this topic numerous times, you can read all his posts.

#8 JC91006, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  9. nicholas_k

nicholas_k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome little gem of a thread! I used to be fairly upset that an ex-girlfriend was haphazardly cleaning a counter-top and brushed my spare key-fob into the trashcan. With how much I'm into cars and electronics now - I can say I'm looking forward to the DIY programming! Thanks guys.