1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

People are starting to lie about MPG.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tullynoon, Oct 14, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Howdy aaf709

Recently, I noted that Mercedes was touting MILES PER TANK in TV ads.

Some years back, we bought a used Olds Station Wagon (LIKE A FREIGHT CAR.!!) which had an auxiliary fuel tank installed during the "gasolene shortage." So it's MILES PER TANK (if both tanks were included) was phenominal. Range is a subjective advantage. B) I just have to GRIN at such advertisements.

3. LaughingMan

I keep seeing advertisements from car companies offering to give you a years worth of free gas...

ARGh... these people don't need to be encouraged to waste more!!

4. roryjr

roryjr Member

Don't worry. I doubt it's unlimited. It's what they think you should use in a year. When my father passed, I took over his business and was up and down the east coast every weekend in a Ford E-350 diesel van. That was the nature of the business. I doubt they would have paid my gas bill.

5. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Saw this thread a smiled....

1. I think it's intention was to bring a grin to the prius owners and list squatters on here, but on page one, a few people seemed to get agitated - why does that always happen here? Laugh at the liers, folks, chuckle to yourselves about their magical mileage, just do it quietly ;).

2. Was telling my dad how much $$ I'll save trading in my 22MPG V6 '98 Sebring for the Prius, and you know what he says?
    "22? My Vette gets 25.. even your mom's Grand Jeep Cherokee gets 23...:

ROFLMAO :lol:

6. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Manufacturers and dealers have huge inventories of gas-guzzling behemoths, right, and they need to dump these inventories on the public, and they need to do it quickly. They are literally racing against the clock. Tick, tick, tick… Every minute of every passing day is an unfolding revelation to American consumers that high fuel prices simply aren't going to go away, and that the recent spike in fuel cost wasn't just a temporary anomaly or glitch in the economy - it's the new so-called "nostalgia point."

In my view, the thinking consumer saw all of this coming and, in some cases, were motivated to take action, as many of you have, to ameliorate and restructure your fuel consumption by purchasing the most efficient vehicle technology had to offer. But what about the folks who are still buying all those gas-guzzlers sitting on all those car lots?

Well, the manufacturers and dealers have to do something to move all those tanks and land-yachts if they want to survive this and stay in business. Tick, tick, tick. What better way to assuage the rising fear of today's American car buyer by telling them, "Don’t worry about those scary gas prices. We'll take care of all that for you -- for a year." Hmm, that's pretty short-term thinking…

…And isn't short-term thinking exactly how we got into this mess?

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually the newer GMC Sierra SLT (Optional on SLE trim line) and Chevy Silverado LT (Optional on LS trim line) with steering wheel controls and Driver Information Center have fairly accurate fuel economy tracking.

You can also personalize settings like radio, alarm, seats, lighting, etc.

The 2000 GMC Sierra I ordered didn't have it. All you could do was access the engine hours and reset the oil change message.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Denial isn't just a club in McMaynerberry.

Source: King of the Hill, the episode where Dale's father came Out.

9. Rattiemama

Rattiemama New Member

What kills me is friends who were complaining about how low their mileage was before, and seem to think that I won't remember that now. One in particular comes to mind. He drives some big land yacht thingy with an intentionally loud engine (forgive me for not knowing what kind, but I don't give a crap about old noisy cars). Before he was griping to me that he got 8 MPG. The last time I saw him I was telling him about my Prius and suddenly he gets 21 MPG and can't see the point of a car that doesn't rattle windows when you rev the engine. Personally I think it's much cooler to be able to creep along in stealth mode, but to each his own I suppose.

I didn't bother calling him on it. We both know he's lieing, and my confronting him won't do a lick of good except make him defensive. However if I just nod and smile knowingly, it will eat at him forever. I find people usually do a far better job of punnishing themselves for stuff like this.

Of course I don't think Prius owners are exempt from an occasional exageration about mileage. I know I have quoted the EPA mileage to people occasionally, and just failed to mention that I have yet to get anywhere near that. My engine is still brekaing in, and for the first time I got over 40 MPG on my last tank. So far this one's at 45.3.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it annoys me how people say they can almost match my range per tank or match the time period between refuelling. I keep reminding them that I go farther on that 2wk period than you do and that I spend less too.

11. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love this thread!

I was riding in my sales guy's car today on our way to an appointment when I mentioned I had sold my BMW and ordered a Prius. 10 minutes later he couldn't stop telling me about what great mileage his Lexus gets... classic :eek:

Btw, I had a non-v6 2003 Honda Accord and was getting 27-28MPG thru very very careful driving. There is no way someone is getting 38mpg.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Her is someone I know down in Sarasota that gets 30 mpg in his V6 Explorer. Feel free to read all 17 pages and 657 posts. I know that many people are "overstating" their milage (I've heard the BS myself), but it can sometimes be true. If you notice, this thread started on Feb 24, 2002, long before any gas crisis.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showth...highlight=quest

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fast-Forward to 9 months from now. Camry-Hybrid sightings will begin to become common. The most popular car in America will have a hybrid system. It will undeniably mark the end of the gas-guzzler age.

All this nonsense we are dealing with now, which is nothing in comparison to a few years ago, will be just a memory that will put a smile on our faces and be denied by everyone else. They simply won't understand how there could have ever been any resistance to the technology. It will be "so obvious" of a next step by then... 8.5 years after the first Prius was sold.

Oh well. At least they will eventually figure out what we already know.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually i lie about my mileage too. i tell everyone i only get 50 mph... but only to make them feel better about what they are getting...hehehe

15. LaughingMan

It's kind of like lying about your age.

It's great that mileage now is becoming a sore spot to the greater public. More and more, poor gas mileage is looked down upon and considered downright shameful.

The more the merrier!

16. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye New Member

I get more like 29 in my SUV...

...but it IS an Escape Hybrid 4wd.

I just brought the tires in both the Prius and the Escape up to 41.
    We'll see what that does for the mpgs.

17. DanP

DanP Member

Your mistrust is misplaced. Clearly, these people are all being honest with you. Mileage really has improved markedly for all cars because the gas is more expensive--and therefore better. It stands to reason that $3 gasoline will take you farther than $2 gasoline.

18. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had two very distinct reactions from work friends and associates in regard to the fuel mileage of my Prius:

I pass through a guarded gate on a military base each workday and have to stop and present my ID to the armed sentry. Astonishingly, some of the guards have literally been caught "off guard" as I silently glided to a stop for inspection, only noticing my presence after I vocally wish them a good morning, good afternoon, or what have you.

Several guards have become very interested in my little "electric car," as they like to call it. One in particular likes to lean down, M4A1 carbine automatic weapon slung from his shoulder, and view the Multi-function display. His gaze is always accompanied with a resounding, "How 's your mileage today?" to which I respond by simply pointing to the MPG numbers which are usually in the mid-50's. He smiles, shakes his head in amazement and waves me through.

My co-workers, on the other hand, have for the most part reacted coolly to my new Prius. Not wanting to gloat - 'because no one likes a gloater' (Lisa Simpson) - I drove the Prius to work for nearly a week without saying that I had a new car. On lunch break of the fourth day one of my office-mates (Michael) noticed me climbing out of the Prius and wanted to know how a hybrid car worked and was surprised at the mileage I claimed to be getting (around 51 MPG at the time, if I recall).

We walked into the office together and had barely gotten through the door when Michael launched into the new car news with the other people in the room. Everybody was genuinely interested until Michael described the kind of mileage I was getting. That little fact sent a chill through the office that continues with three of the four people to this day - nearly two months later.

The muted reception pretty much blew me away.

19. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Consumer Reports got 21-24 mpg average with a Corvette; it gets much better mileage than you'd think. But they got 14-17 mpg with a Grand Cherokee.

20. roryjr

roryjr Member

Sniff sniff.... Do I detect sarcasm here? <_<