1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

People flashing their lights at me, why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ctmurray, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not exactly the original topic, but earlier this week a black Tahoe (I'd call that one an A-hoe if you know what I mean...) did one of those rude whips around a Toyota Echo in the rightmost freeway lane going the "poking around" :rolleyes: at the speed limit with two open lanes on his left. The Tahoe gunned his engine and did his "get out of my ****ing way" move. Thirty yards behind I flashed my lights, which he may not have even noticed. He could have passed quietly, but chose to be a jerk.

I've heard things back and forth - stand up to these guys - do nothing. Part of the reason I leave to work early is to be around aggressive drivers less. Virtue say to turn the other cheek, but there are a lot of nutcases that are accidents waiting to happen. Would not suprize me that some of them beat their dog, beat their wife and have that anger on the freeway.

It seems that roads have steadily become more hostile in part because aggressive driving has been allowed to increase. The freeways are often like the old Wild West days with outlaws having a fairly free hand.

I'm at somewhat of a loss there isn't more enforcement as local and state governments struggle to balance their budgets. More enforcement would also catch more crime.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 23 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]353499[/snapback]</div>

Maybe more of us should have camcorders mounted and running in our cars. I assume some camcorders could be set up to loop record, erasing anything over 10 minutes old. Would the resolution be good enough to get license plate numbers? I may try looking at that.

Dave M.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Nov 23 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]353518[/snapback]</div>
    Old theme of mine: People are nastiest when they think they are anomoyous, including on the net, sometimes on the phone, and on the roads. That's not quite true on the roads...

A few months ago, I was 20 yards from merging from US 75 to TX 190 (Bush Tollway) going 45mph. As much as two seconds of an Accord driver's time might have been wasted. He gave the birdie. Edgy, but not full-blown road rage, I just when a little faster than the pack and caught up with him about three miles down the pike to shoot his picture. You remember grade school when the classroom cutup pops on his halo as the teacher returns to her class? That's how he behaved. :D Granted there are some nutcases that might retaliate, but most aggressive drivers would be ashamed to have their actions publicized.

I strongly favor ideas like dmckinstry's and videocams that mail-in tickets (with a fudge factor so only the guilty get nailed). I know that privacy issues will be raises, but does it truly apply on public roads where driver's neglect can be lethal? If "the kids" could do a better job at the honor system, it would never come down to this.

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Flash them back. I've flashed a guy that I thought had brights on, and when he flashed his brights back at me, boy was I put back into my place.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Nov 23 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]353560[/snapback]</div>
    Plus I don't get so upset if I know the other guy is not purposely being disrespectful..... plus sometimes people just forget... I appreciate being flashed if I forgot.

6. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Interesting - my 06 doesn't have HID's and I still get flashed once a day (luckily it's only by another car and not someone in a raincoat :D ), and I flash them back to let them know my highs are not on. I guess I need to consider adjusting them. Any know what the spec is - I'm sure there is one somewhere vice just winging it?

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Nov 23 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]353565[/snapback]</div>
    I believe if you have HID's, that "why" they put the autolevelers on so they don't kill people... there is no need for them if you don't have HID's any more than other non HID cars....

I don't know the settings, but I'm sure its in the manual your would mechanics use.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 23 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]353569[/snapback]</div>
    That may be the case but when you have 3 people in the back and Silverstars in your headlight case, you will get flashed.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 24 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]353650[/snapback]</div>
    If this is really the issue, they should put auto levelers on all of the models regardless of what package.

10. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Nov 23 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]353536[/snapback]</div>

I stay off both the Bush and I 75 as much as possible. When I upgraded by wheels and tires my MPG dipped. I started avoiding freeways to raise the MPG. After a few hundred miles my MPG went back up to my average but I noticed a dramtic change in how SUV and Porsche and other drivers regard my now well lablelled and chromed PRIUS. I don't get the respect I gor driving a Lexas sports car but I do get respect. Moral to the story is you dress up your Prius in Texas you don't have to shoot anybody.
    How aqout them COWBOYS!

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FreshAirGuy @ Nov 24 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]353702[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't going to say anything, but that insignia on the back of your car in giant letters "Cleanmpg.com", Delta Flyer does not score points in good Ole Texas! :D We need a smily guy with a big Texas cowboy hat!

Dem "good Ole boys" just think your puttin down thier big tough truck that bounces all over the road and cost them a fortune in gas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Nov 22 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]353398[/snapback]</div>
    Sure enough if I read my "sticker" apparently I have "multireflector halogen" headlamps. So I will look further and see if my lamps are aimed too high. From my drivers perspective they seem fine. They do seem brighter than my 1995 T100 truck....

Other suggestions that they might have been warning me of speed traps is a reasonable thought.

I do avoid flashing people back because I am concerned about binding them just as they are about to pass me! Forget the telephone pole, I just don't want them running into me.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Nov 24 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]353745[/snapback]</div>
    Puzzleing.. sure you didn't turn it into a low rider? :lol: :lol:

Sorry.. but I bet Les Schwab or similiar would be able to tell if your in the ballpark without having to go to the dealer. "if you dare!" :D

14. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I always wonder why I never get flashed... I commute on hilly, 2-lane country roads and can easily see where the cut-off of the headlights is. It's always moving up and down with the changing road surface, but I've yet to get flashed in over two years. Of course, most vehicles around here place the driver six to seven feet (or more) above the road surface, so I guess they're well out of the danger zone.

I do know that the auto-leveling system is working well. Every Friday I pick up five bags of wood pellets for the stove and load them in the hatch. That's 200 pounds in the very rear of the car, but I've never noticed that the headlights are any higher than usual. Sweet!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 24 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]353681[/snapback]</div>
    I'll vote for that lol.

Especially cars with softer suspension that will sag when 3 people are on board.

16. harrv

harrv Member

I bought a 2005 Prius and then a 2006 Prius. The headlights in both cars were aimed too high. I still get flashed all the time in my 2006. Also package 3.

Is aiming the headlights something I can do myself?

17. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Nov 24 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]353745[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I would be much happier if you flashed me back. That way, I know whether you actually had high beams on or not, and if you didn't, I will be less likely to give a mistaken flash in the future. I don't think you have much to worry about concerning blinding drivers. Most people are smart enough not to stare into oncoming headlights, especially if they think that traffic has the high beams on.

18. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have people flashing lights from behind me!Guess im to slow for the speed demons.I drive mostly at normal speeds but i think when other drivers see that its a prius!it means it goes at turtle speeds (Which is far from the truth).

19. beethoven

beethoven Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 23 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]353456[/snapback]</div>
    My 2006 came with the lights aimed way too high (non-HID). The brights were worthless since they didn't shine on the road in front of the car. I've noticed many other Prius's with their headlights aimed too high, so I'm assuming they all just come messed up from the factory.

20. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Nov 22 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]353382[/snapback]</div>
    Same with me. I have standard halogens in my #3 and I get flashed on dark roads regularly. The beam has a pretty sharp cutoff that doesn't look to high, but they probably are. Combined with my opinion that my high beams are too high to be useful, I think I could have mine lowered a a degree or two. I assume there is an adjustment in the bask of the housing... I haven't looked.

This happened to me with another new car. My 1995 Explorer came from the factory with the lights aimed too high. For the first month I had it, I was getting flashed all the time (that sounds personal, huh?). One tuen on the vertical aiming adjustment and problems were solved for on coming traffic and my view of the road.