1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pep Boys 12v Battery Woes

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by kayadash, Sep 4, 2018.

1. kayadash

kayadash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    2013 Toyota Prius C Four. Pep Boys lists this battery as fitting: Bosch 51-440BAGM.

Bizarrely, the clerk informed me the battery wouldn't "fit" and went on to describe the posts before I cut them off and told them to just put the old one back in the car. I was told "older" Prius models have an issue with this and was told only Toyota has the battery.

How is my Prius C different from any other in terms of the battery terminals or the compartment? I've never read anything about specific variances in Prius C models regarding this. I did my research here regarding the part as well.

This sounds like inexperienced clerks. Has anyone had similar experiences trying to get a non-OEM battery for the Prius C?

Also, does anyone know the OEM part number for the 12v battery?

2. kayadash

kayadash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW, my system has a smart key.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    while he had the old one out of the car, you should have asked him to show you the difference.

4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like Prius c uses the smaller Prius battery for non-SKS Gen 2. In a Gen 2 you could buy the larger battery and just replace the battery tray with one from an SKS Prius. Looking at the other Prius c threads, looks like you have to bend the hold-down strap and leave a part off--no wonder they said "No".
    The Pep Boys site says it fits, but the Bosch batteries site can't find anything. I think Toyota is the only source for the small batteries.

bisco and MelonPrius like this.
  5. kayadash

kayadash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have the smart key system, it's a Four trim.

ITBland likes this.
  6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Parts lookup shows only one battery for Prius c (S34B20R), Gen 2 lookup shows 2 (w/ & w/o SKS). Not absolute proof, but McGeorge Toyota parts is usually a reliable source.

7. Runswithdog

Runswithdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced my 12 volt battery today for my 2013. Currently all the auto part dealers don't list a battery for our Prius C on their program. After reading several threads on this website, I went with the Bosch AGM 51-440BAGM battery available from Pepboys. I took my old one in and compared. They have they same height and width, but the Bosch is longer, which the Prius C has extra room and even the battery bracket fit back on. The Bosch battery also has the vent tube. I just had to switch the plug and tube sides on the battery and connect it to the tube from the Prius. The only thing that would not fit was the protective plastic cover that was over the original battery.

It was funny my six year old battery was cleaner than the new one.

I have attached pictures of the original and new battery as a size comparison and how the Bosch battery fit in my Prius C. IMG_2676.jpg IMG_2677.jpg

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it sks?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, the smaller battery is the non-sks S34B20R battery and the larger one is the S46B24R sks model. Although that is true for the Gen 2 Prius, I wonder which one is OEM for the C? Nice that it has room for the larger one though.