1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pepboys - No Engine Air filter listed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daronspicher, Aug 2, 2006.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I found it odd that Pepboys didn't have an engine air filter for the 2005 or 2006 Prius. They showed one for the 2004.

Is the 2004 the same as the 05-06?

I was going to get one since I was there getting some other stuff, hopefully the guy on ebay I got my oil filters from will also have the air filters. I just found it odd that pepboys doesn't have it, can't get it (other than running over to the toyota dealer). He said Toyota wouldn't give him a break on it, so he wouldn't save me any money vs. if I just go to toyota myself. He called 2 numbers and talked to 2 people about the situation and they didn't know why either.

Does Napa, Checker, Autozone or any of the popular auto parts stores have them?

2. c4

c4 Active Member

I used to work in a garage and used to see this all the time.. The current year's cross-reference tables sometimes still did not list parts for some models 2-3 years old.. Sometimes it's an oversight, other times they just don't bother recertifying a part for a new model year due to low sales volume and the book only lists the last year that the replacement was certified for, even if subsequent years happent to use the identical part (which is the case with the 2005/2006 Prius- they use exactly the same filter as the 2004; but the 2001-2003 use a slightly different version, but which can still be made to work by removing the gasket from the original filter and putting it on the replacement).

3. Blackfang

Blackfang New Member

OT-
    I had a customer with a Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan call me(I work for Toyota) and was told Pep Boys told him that we do AC cpnversions to R134. :lol: :lol:

I referred him to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and warned him to stay far away from that Pep Boys

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]296205[/snapback]</div>
    That's the very reason I kept the gasket on my original airfilter when I replaced the filter at 30K.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A WIX 2306 from NAPA for $14.13 will fit with a slight modification. Cut a notch in 3 of the 4 plastic tabs on the bottom with a pair of dikes. These notches fit over the tabs in the base of the filter housing. If you compare the bottom of the WIX and your old Toyota filter and see how it fits into the housing it will be obvious what needs to be removed. Then re use your old gasket, it will fit on the new filter just like it did on the old one.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    NAPA seemed to have discontinued a Prius air filter, so I got one from the dealer for a little more.

The cutting part may be why NAPA doesn't push one for the Prius anymore...

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Aug 5 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]298471[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you may be right about that. The guy at the NAPA store here told me his catalog indicated that a new filter for the Prius was going to be available fairly soon. Actually the WIX 2306 was not listed as a Prius filter, I had him cross the old Fram number that Bill Merchant gave me. That was a Fram CA 9501 which is no longer in production either.

But the WIX 2306 and the old Fram CA 9501 do fit perfectly if you clip a notch out of 3 corners and use the old gasket.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blackfang @ Aug 2 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]296268[/snapback]</div>
    OT reply-

Agreed, guy that called should probably avoid Pep Boys.

However, there is no need for the guy with the minivan to have a conversion. There is plenty of R12 out there and it is very easy to get ahold of. The price is a bit higher than 134a or other refrigerants because it is not in production, however so long as an A/C system is in good shape and the seals are good, there is no reason to not do a refill on an R12 system.

Most shops that do A/C work in earnest have the equipment to capture any remaining refrigerant in a system, recycle it and agument it with new refrigerant and lubricants.

Most A/C systems stay in good running order when they are used regularly. Letting an A/C system set idle because you are "saving fuel" is death to the A/C system. Most A/C systems have so little drag on the engine that the FE loss is insignificant. Better to use it than loose it.

9. Blackfang

Blackfang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Aug 6 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]298705[/snapback]</div>
    Very true, but many chose this as it is more cost effective in the long run. Where we are, R12 is atleast double in price than R134 refridgerant. So many rather cough up the money now and do it than pay 2 times the price. Even more so when you need 2+ lbs of it.