1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance differences between Prius's in different Country

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davidbw, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Vancouver drivers use their index finger to signal other drivers.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, Columbia drivers use their middle finger to signal other drivers :lol:

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

see what I mean I still don't get it right after 57 years. Yup that'd be the one.

4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Hi htmlspinner,

Hey, the codes I mentioned in my earlier message have been the communication standard between truckers for years. They were especially important in those days before cell phones and CB radios came along. In the mean time, savvy long distance drivers of other vehicles have picked it up and still use it in standard format. If you're flashing to say something else, you may just be generating some confusion.

Story: Years ago on driving into San Francisco on Hwy 50 I was coming up a long hill doing about 70. As I approached the summit, a truck coming from the opposite direction from over the hill flashed a quick 3 flashes. I immediately slowed to find a huge salt truck turned over and spread across the highway. Had it not been for those three flashes, my Corvair Corsa and I would have amalgamated with that mess.

Ken

5. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Actually, it recommends flashing as a warning (2 & 3, and probably the first 1 above), in the same way you'd use your horn. What it recommends against, contrary to common practice, is using a flash as an invitation to proceed.

I understand one or two short flashes to mean "I've seen you and your path is clear" (e.g. to signal an overtaking vehicle may pull in, or to cede priority on a narrow road or at a junction) and also as an "I am about to overtake" warning, a single long flash (a second or so) to mean "you are entering danger" (e.g. someone about to pull out in front without looking), and a series of short flashes to warn oncoming traffic of a hazard (debris in the road, speed trap, whatever).