1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance more than adequate, great reliability, am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by eustachio, Jul 13, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RCO, eustachio and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Good that you haven't test driven a Volt then because it has excellent EV performance (0-30 is Tesla like) that would give you a very different outlook about hybrids. The Ford plug-in/hybrid offerings are also strong especially in hybrid mode. The more powerful drivetrains comes at the cost of efficiency. Cross the Prius Prime off the list as it only seats four.

If you want to know why Prius has a rep among the press, drive a gen 1 or 2 back to back with a more modern hybrid. Finally, there are performance hybrids where the EV side is designed to supply additional power not economy. Many of the next generation supercars will technically be hybrids.

RCO likes this.
  3. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to agree with soldier guy's very accurate description of the Gen4 Prius. Doesn't make it a bad car, and I'm really enjoying mine, but he was right on with his comments. He's just telling it like it is.

And eustachio has his opinion, and much of it is also accurate. But maybe he's been eating a few too many mushrooms? :ROFLMAO: The Prius is not all that! (He'd make a great salesman). One area I would disagree with, is the Gen4 Prius is certainly not "bulletproof." Just read through these forums, and you'll see many of the problems and issues and flaws that are popping up. (I still haven't taken care of the three(?) recalls yet. Nor the TSB for the loose strut nuts.-- And Toyota needs to add cracked windshields to that recall list!)

#23 CoastRider, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was that a 2017 Camry hybrid or 2018? There are major upgrades in the 2018 Camry hybrid. But sometimes you have to chose from what is available.

Bob Wilson

5. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the idea of the Volt, but 5 seats is a deal-breaker for us, same with the Prime.

To be clear, I don't think the Prius, or Toyota is perfect!
    But for overall reliability, they are far ahead of the others. I've had bad experiences with both Ford and Chevy. Every manufacturer has recalls, but Toyota tops the ratings regularly as we all know.
    Finally the fuel economy of the Prius tops pretty much everything else. The new Camry and Accord Hybrid look promising in that regard, but at a higher price.

6. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the 2017, they didn't have the new one yet.

I meant to add, on my comment on BMW drivers where I live, it's not the EV driving ones where the reputation came from ;)

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I will agree with the mustachiod one on this point... The great gas mileage of the Gen4 Prius outweighs any little flaws or issues that may pop up with that car. (Makes it a bit easier to overlook the huge crack that just occurred in the windshield! :ROFLMAO::eek:)

Except for the recalls, my '16 Prius has none of the rattles or issues that so many other owners have mentioned here. I just got lucky, I guess, with my plain ol' Three model. Runs beautifully... even at 91mph last Saturday! :cool: There is definitely more positive than negative about the new Prius. But at the end of the day, it's just a car. A very good car, that just so happens to have an expensive battery under the backseat. It gets me where I want to go in reliable & economical fashion, and that's the most important thing to me.

#27 CoastRider, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I was looking for a car, the Youtube vids from the car guys were careful to point out the features as pros and cons. They seemed to be very good reviews. Even though they didn't like the car, they did convey to me the features I wanted. So don't read too much in a thumbs up / thumbs down review. A good reviewer will give you the details you are interested whether they like the car or not. It's like that with movie reviewers. I follow movie reviewers who have vastly different tastes than I do but I can tell from what they do and don't like whether I'll like the film.

RCO likes this.
  9. EddyCurrent

EddyCurrent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

RCO likes this.
  10. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just as a side note...it doesn't really bother me at all that the Prius isn't a car that driving enthusiasts love, although the brake feel does bother me quite a bit...hybrids have been around for quite a while, so there's no excuse for the poor feel of something that is so integral to the act of driving. I used to be all about the feel and fun of driving, but two things have changed my views on cars, into what are more practical views:

- My commute has made me look at cars more like a tool, rather than something that I get passionate and excited about.

- Riding motorcycles has ruined me for being able to appreciate a good-driving car. The performance of what are considered mundane bikes is FAR beyond all but the most extreme high performance cars. For example, for around $8500, you can ride away on a machine that will do 0-60 mph in around 3 seconds and will hit 125 mph in the 1/4 mile... I'm using my husband's Kawasaki Z900 as an example, but there are many bikes out there that perform better. Even the most antiquated (and one of the slowest) motorcycles currently available (Kawasaki KLR) will still do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Motorcycles are engaging...you're intimately aware of every bump, every change in surface grip, every change in temperature, every roadside smell, you're constantly thinking about the act of riding, you're constantly tempted to open the throttle and feel the relentless shove of torque & power rocket you forward, and you're hyper-aware of things going on around you.

Anymore, I drive because I have to, but I ride because I want to.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bravo! I'm always confused whether you're you or your husband on here, not that it makes any difference. Anyway thanks for that excellent comparison for the non motorcycling members. Sadly, only a biker would truly appreciate the merit in what you said. Again, bravo!

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time I checked I was me...

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here! I have stopped riding only because so many drivers in this area have become intolerably stupid.

But all through this thread, I've been reminded of when the first Goldwing came out. Reviewers were most critical of it's "lack of character." One day, on the way from Denver to Iowa on I-76, we were passed by a Wing that was doing well over a hundred. All I heard was the whoosh of the wind. (They soon opened up the exhaust a bit, but that first year was QUIET.) It was just before or after that that I read one reviewer who said that any bike that could do what that bike did has all the character a prudent man can stand.

No car will ever do what a decent bike can do unless you spend at least a quarter million bucks on it. Even though, I'm now driving a cage, I still have to fight the urge to look down my nose at "Oscar Grope, hermetically sealed in his Belchfire V8." I just roll my eyes at car snobs. :D

#33 jerrymildred, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    pilotgrrl and soldierguy like this.