1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance Package, Lowering Springs,- Rear sway bar

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Denny Z, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Denny Z

Denny Z New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am planning on ordering a 2012-five. There seems to be changes in what packages are now available.

What results will I see and feel with the Performance Package? This includes lowering springs, which lowers the Prius Five about 1.5 inches, and a rear sway bar.

Also the "leather" is no longer real, it's a softex. Any experience on the difference?

Any other advice always appreciated. :)
    Thanks,

Denny Z

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll see better handling and a better looking car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The prices are not bad since it includes installation and warranty.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leather has not been real in a long time unless you plunk down $50K plus for a vehicle. LOL

The performance package will great increase handling and make the car feel much more sporty but will reduce ground clearance a little and may reduce ride comfort over rough roads. The 17" wheels will further reduce ride comfort over the 15" wheels.

4. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also to add, with 215/45-17R wheels fuel economy will suffer on average 3-6mpg...but your car will handle awesome and look great!

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The PLUS package springs will ride softer than stock. The 17" wheels will make the car feel stiffer, so together, I would expect the combination to provide a ride that is very similar to a normal Prius.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe you. You should remove the Plus springs and stick them on my car. I will then swap to my 17" wheels and test your hypothesis. :rockon:

7. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Since when do lowering springs make a car ride softer?

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends on the springs, but you are correct that this is rarely the case.

9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not entirely true. When we got our GenIII in '09 I installed OEM leathers, and the main sitting parts were real perforated leather, rest is man made

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with you... I don't think he should make a blanket statement like that without further test on another Prius... preferably yours. ;)

F8L likes this.
  11. newveloce

newveloce New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually have the Plus package on my 2011. I see a little difference in the ride and handling, but not a marked difference-but I've spent more time in my car than any other Prius. I don't think the ride is compromised at all as far as comfort goes-bumps are bumps and they don't translate that differently to your butt with the 17s and the different springs. I doubt anyone could tell that much difference if they didn't know what car they were riding in-put 500 miles on it and it will all seem "normal" anyway.

As far as mileage-my last tank I got 51.75 per gallon-calculated by me, not the car so that is the actual mpg. So if I'm losing 3-6 mpgs I just don't see the difference-I suppose if you regularly get 58 mpg with 15 inch wheels then I'm losing out.

My car looks great with the drop and the wheels, people comment on it quite often. I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the package but I'm glad I did and would do it again.

If you want everything installed and be done with it then the Plus package is not a bad way to go.

Greg

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See, Mike? You should take off the PPP springs and purchase a set of coilovers that are matched perfect and staggered special.....

Days of Thunder anyone? ;)

13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to retract my previous statement. After I made the switch from the Michelin Primacy MXV4 to the Michelin Energy Saver A/S this weekend, the ride quality has worsened significantly. So, if the OP is getting the factory LRR 17" tires, perhaps it also suffers from the same degradation in ride quality.

F8L should be able to confirm this after his test drive today. :p

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think Mike's car rides terrible. I seems to ride even more cushy than my stock 2012, however. I actually like the way it rides although I would prefer a bit more responsive steering. I think the difference between our cars is based mostly on the difference in tires and tire pressure. We should have tried to pump up his tires to match mine then go for another spin.

FWIW I am happy the PPP springs didn't make the car super stiff and bouncy. I think the average Joe could use these springs for better handling and to reduce wheel we'll gap yet not suffer terrible ride quality like so many other cars with lowering springs. :)

15. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I had a Honda Ridgeline and I replaced the stock springs with Sport Springs. It lowered the truck about 1.5 inches. Looked Awesome and was easier to get in & out of. But it did ride stiffer. I felt every bump. Less spring travial and tighter coils? Just tossing my 2 cents in. I would stay stock. Maybe go lower profile on the tire but keep the tire the same Hieght (Plus 1 size or 2) so that the ODO is not effected and mileage stays the same. But then I am over 50. Just saying...

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet if you just rode in Mike's car then my car you wouldn't be able to tell which one was lowered unless I told you. :)

Like you, I do not want to deal with a rougher ride that usually comes with lowering a Venice. Thankfully these springs on this car do not produce a rough ride or the bouncing down the rode effect. In fact, it is smoother than running a plus 2 wheel upgrade.

17. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Assuming the Plus pkg springs are like mine, the fronts are wound with two different turn-to-turn spacings. This provides a more stock-like ride in most circumstances, but the springs get stiffer when compressed harder (as in a fast turn).

So it's likely that the Plus pkg ride isn't much rougher than stock except on rough pavement.

1 person likes this.
  18. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same springs on mine. When the roads are smooth, it is hard to tell the difference between the NFs and stock. However, when the roads get rough, in my opinion, it gets choppy. It's not annoying for me, but the wife definitely comments on it...

1 person likes this.