1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance Plus Package ground clearance?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jchall30, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First time poster but have been reding for about a month now. I am going tomorrow to order or purchase a 2012 Prius IV or V. I am considering the PPP but am concerned about ground clearance for everyday driving. Does anyone know want the ground clearance is at the front bumper with this package installed? My biggest worry is my driveway. It has the traditional curb/lip a bout 4 inches high kinda slanted in toward the house. Any help is appreciated. :)

2. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did not buy the Prius Plus. I bought a 2012 Trim5 (17" wheels) and had the Plus Springs and the Plus rear anti sway bar installed at port. Like you, I was worried about the aero kit getting quite close to the ground, especially since the Plus has the lowering springs, too.

If my driveway was my only concern, I would fix the driveway. That's how much I enjoy tunning the stance of the car.

One other thing: I intend to install forged 17" wheels right away - either the Plus wheels, or some other 17" choice. The reason I did not have the Plus wheels install at port is because at $1600.00, I did not get to keep the take offs. When I install forged 17's aftermarket, I can sell the takeoffs to help defray the overall cost.

Some things to think about.

:eek:

3. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The driveway is my main concern. I am really careful with cars but I do know anything can happen. I may just get the springs, sway bar, and wheels and not the ground effects part of the kit. I just think the car looks a bit better a little lower to the ground. I'm not a big modder. Just want it to look a bit more sporty. :D

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The front aero pieces look like they're limited to just the side/corner pieces. They do look like they decrease ground clearance in the front, but it doesnt look too bad, especially since there is no additional aero piece in the middle/front area.

[​IMG]

5. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Kinda what I thought. Would just hate to get it home a scrape the first time I pulled in the driveway. :eek:

6. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hey! I did the exact opposite of you.. I just installed the 17" Plus wheel and the sway bar but I DID NOT opt for the lowering because it is just reallllly low as it is. any lower and the front end WILL hit the curb if you were so inclined

Attached Files:

7. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Stay away from curbs!

:eek:

8. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The Plus lowering springs only lower the car 1.5". And since the front lip spoilers are at the corners, it's not that bad. Just be more careful pulling into parking stalls and stop short of the curb stop. You will love the PPP though. It puts just about everything you would mod on a Prius anyway, and there is not that many on the road. Besides OCKevin, I don't know of any other like mine and his in Orange County.

9. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all the replys guys. As I posted in another thread I ordered the Prius yesterday with the PPP. I just hope I don't run info any issues with the driveway. There was really no way to know cause there aren't any in his area to look at so I just took a chance. :eek:

10. RichardSkeate

RichardSkeate New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think your close. I was just looking at one, and drove it. I have a 2011 gen3. no difference i thought. As for your driveway i am sure you cant touch it because its a city gutter thing correct. Just go slow with the low rider.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've owned several cars with much more severe low front end clearance issues. Entering/exiting the driveway at a 45 degree angle has worked for me with even the most severely low front.

12. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah. It is just the bout 4 inch lip up onto my level driveway. It's s slanted as I said. Just leads water to the storm drain right down the street.

13. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would post a pic of the driveway if I knew how to attach it. LOL

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Respond to your post, then scroll down and click on the "manage attachments" button.

15. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I took some pics of the driveway entrance. Maybe you all can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Its about 6 inches long but it slopes back about 35 to 40 degrees.

Attached Files:

16. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well they are turned sideways :D LOL But maybe you all get the idea

17. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's a rolled curb driveway. Be very careful pulling into that. They are not tapered like a normal driveway, they hit pretty hard if you aren't careful.

18. jchall30

jchall30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I guess the question is though do you think it will hit? I will go slow as I do with my current cas now even though there is no real danger thy will hit it. I also pull in at a angle. Never straight in.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have curbs like that and if I pull straight out I will scrape but I have a GenII so it's not quite the same. I have zero issues with speed bumps as long as I go slow. :)

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have the ground clearance measurements at the front corners on a Plus Package with either the body kit alone or springs alone or both installed? I am very close to ordering my MY12 Four Solar Plus but I want to know if I should get the body kit or not. It will get the Plus suspension and wheels.

Many thanks,
    Mike