1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Perpetual loud buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Reecie, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Reecie

Reecie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I took 2005 Prius to Firestone (mistake) to get brakes fixed. They fixed the brakes but there is a loud buzzing sound--the same sound it makes when a door is open--but when you close the door the buzz continues if the key is in. So, if you are driving it is sounding off-- Never shuts off until one turns it off and exits the car. I took it back to Firestone and they told me it was not their fault (even though it had never made that sound before until they put their hands on it) they blamed it on the hydra boost pump? Has anyone ever had this problem? Every moment the car is turned on the buzzing sound blares. Only goes off when keys come out. Thanks in advance for any wisdom or info.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is their fault. if they can't fix it, they should pay toyota to do it.
    i think it is the master cylinder warning, and i'm not sure if it is safe to drive.

how is the brake fluid level?

what work did they perform?

how many miles on her?

ITBland likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The buzzer is telling you there is a serious issue with the brakes, but the car also wants to tell you what the issue is. There aren't that many possibilities (there are a whole lot of trouble codes possible for the brake system, but only a smaller number that activate the beeper alarm).

Anybody with something like Techstream can plug in to the car's diagnostic port and read out the information the car wants to give you. If you don't have that, the brake codes can also be retrieved with nothing more than a short piece of wire and some counting of light blinks (as many threads you can find on PriusChat describe).

If you post what codes you've got, it becomes possible to say more about what the issue(s) is/are.

It would be good to get that info without driving the car much where you could endanger yourself or others, because that's what the alarm is warning you about.

-Chap

exstudent and ITBland like this.
  4. Reecie

Reecie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies. I took it to get the brakes done and to see why some lights were on. Allen Toyota wanted to charge 2300 to fix the brakes and firestone charged 350. So, I got the brakes done for cheap but then the noise began once they touched it. They told me they were doing a diagnostic test on it for a hundred bucks to figure out the warning lights. When they gave it back they said the Hydra boost pump was bad-according to diagnostics, they could not fix it (so they wouldn't charge 100 for the diagnostic test) and the noise is because the Hydra Boost Pump went bad like they predicted, coincidentally and miraculously. I assume the brake fluid level is satisfactory since they just did a brake overhaul and replaced everything they said was bad. There's about 200,000 miles on it. The brakes seem to be working okay now. Interesting that the buzzer is about the brakes and that is what they supposedly just fixed. I guess I will take I to the Toyota facility to figure out the noise. I am so ticked off at those Firestone people. They say the buzzing is the hydra boost pump going bad--"We told you the hydra boost pump was going bad and it went bad, that is why it is buzzing." Thanks for your replies. It has rekindled my need to deal with firestone properly.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they probably mean the brake actuator. i'm not sure it is safe to drive.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The car is SCREAMING at you that there is/are SERIOUS problem(s) w/ the brakes.
    For public safety, STOP driving the car.

Are you unable to check the brake fluid level in the reservoir, that is found in the engine compartment?

By the way, which brakes? Front, rear, or both?

Until the brakes cease to function properly and you crash into something/someone.

It could be a complete coincidence that the a critical brake component was at the end of its life, when Firestone replaced the brakes (assumed correctly). Shite happens and nothing lasts forever.

It may also be that the brakes where not repaired correctly.

BUT, I am speculating that something made you believe the brakes were not acting correctly.
    Had you gotten the codes read from the very beginning, it will have likely indicated an issue w/ a critical brake component(s). It just so happened that after Firestone replaced the brake parts you asked them to replace, the original failing brake component(s), coincidenly failed. Why did you not get the codes read in the first place?