1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Perseid anyone?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 12, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Clouds but I'll try again around 3:00 AM (CDT.) Anyone having much luck?

Bob Wilson

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Totally clouded over in Chicago at 1am right now.

3. HobbsNick

HobbsNick Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It was totally clouded over here in the NE of England, hopefully better conditions tonight.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IFR.

Not even going to try tonight unless I get called out at oh-dark-thirty....

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Even the videos on the net have been underwhelming.

I was out at 10 PM and it was clear. By 12 midnight, a layer of clouds, less than 3,000 ft, moved in reflecting the town lights.

Bob Wilson

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I set the alarm for 1am, we woke up and stumbled out to the back yard for a look. Far from ideal suburban light pollution, one streetlight lighting up a section of our fence.

Could have used a recliner, missus had one: it gets hard on the neck, lol. Anyway, think we spotted one every 3~5 minutes, some quick-and-short, some more impressive.

Pretty cool, trying to appreciate what's actually happening, cool planet we all hang out on. :)

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is amazing, to think that particles of sand-to-peanut sizes are bringing enough kinetic E that we can see them incandesce from here, 100 km below.

My best sightings were Leonids (November) that skipped off and reentered (interrupted trails), a long green persistent trail (>kg size class), and a sighting followed by sound 1 minute later. That last would be in the low end of the 'ohshit' size class.

I don't think any of the named, recurrent meteor showers contain big pieces. Would appreciate more info on the subject :)

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Speculation on my part but I wonder if during a meteor shower, the moon might have small, bright spots where they impacted the surfaces?

Bob Wilson

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every year I say that NEXT year I'm going to make a diligent effort to get out of the suburbs and find a good place to view this shower.
    And every year I read or hear about it's arrival, and find an excuse to be asleep.

Missed it again this year.
    BUT NEXT year....I'm on it.....

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Impacts have been observed on the moon:

Record-Breaking Meteorite Crash on Moon Sparks Brightest Lunar Explosion Ever

for example, but not clearly linked to meteor showers. Again the latter are mostly smaller shreddings of comets.

The moon is such an odd place. ~No atmosphere, stopped weeping basalt a few billion ago. Since all that, surface reworking by an ~endless stream of impacts. Most of the large craters were during Late Heavy Bombardment as I recall.

HobbsNick likes this.
  11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing I know 'shower' is a relative term when it comes to meteors. Still, it's a fascinating and thought-provoking event, and I make an effort most years to get out. This year, we'd driven a couple fo hours out of town to a small resort community, and I found a great watching spot at the end of a dock. I had my big comfy camp chair, water, food...too bad it was such a long walk to the bathroom, but otherwise it was a great evening. As soon as the music from a local pub died down, all was quiet....until the party joined me at the end of the dock. I had little choice but to go with the flow, and despite my quiet private space being invaded by a bunch of rowdy, inevriated kids, it was great fun. I got to teach a few newbies a few things (Where's the little dipper? I can never find that...) and, we even saw some good meteors.

Next year, I think a boat in the middle of a small mountian lake might be a good viewing platform. ;)