1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Personal Information Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Mar 11, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Only if the member selects "Allow vCard Download" in his/her User Options.

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. I don't have an opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I say it does matter. If the information is public it's public. Reposting it in another public place is no worse and no different than it being posted before.

My personal information is public as I've chosen to make it so. David's information is public as he's chosen to make it so. Your information may be public, but, AFAIK, you've never posted your real name here, on Priuschat, publicly. I happen to know it b/c of private e-mails you've sent me in the past, but I would not share that without your permission. Likewise for the other 10s of thousands of PC members. I have access to information that could allow me to discover more info for many of them, but would not share any more than they've chosen to make public.

The point, I think, is that when you say "Personal information" in your poll you suggest a connotation that "Personal" = "Private".
    My point remains that once the individual has chosen to make his/her "Personal" information "Public" that it is no longer private.

There are some here who've gone to great lengths to keep their personal information very private...they have generic e-mails, don't share their names, birthdates, location, profession, anything. IMO if someone discovered personal information on those folks it would, indeed, be very wrong to share that "Personal AND Private" information here or anywhere.

I appreciate that some disagree, and that it's a little unsettling to see stuff like that neatly packaged in a post, but looked at rationally I still don't feel it's wrong when done in the right context.

and that's just making crap up.

yea, sure.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it may be true that he did that, he's also shared all of his information many other times over the years for many different reasons. Your spin would suggest it was a one time thing.

FWIW, you can find all the information I posted by just using the information you can derive from his user name and his location in his avatar section even if you'd never read a single one of his posts.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give it up, there is no such thing as privacy on the internet!

PERIOD.

Your in the major minority on this one!!!

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you know for a fact that the information you posted was information the person in question wanted posted? Just because that information is available elsewhere does not mean it’s ok for you to post here. I think you will see that most people feel the same way. Don’t post their personal/identifiable information without their knowledge and permission, period. Read the headlines Evan there are a lot of nutjobs out there and some right here on priuschat. Personally I feel that you have and/or will expose priuschat.com to some legal consequences by your actions if they continue.

Wildkow

5. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yep. I'd already done that. You didn't introduce anything new.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So far the poll does not seem to indicate that but now that it has been skewed in favor of posting member's personal/identifiable information you may eventually be able to brag that you are right. Congrats. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This is not a win / lose situation, it's just how it is!!!
    Personally I stay off most sites of that ilk!

You can always Google my callsign, big deal!

I take NO satisfaction in "Winning"
    Its not really a contest!

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any chance of moving this to the political forum? That's where the issue arose. It's bad enough that forum has gone to the dogs; it shouldn't have to infect the rest of Priuschat too.

9. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So far I know Evan's:

Full name
    Profession
    Town
    marital status
    Breed of dog he owns.

I love access to this "personal" information. By the end of the month I should have enough info to open credit cards in his name.

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not going to vote on this because I agree that Kow's poll is oversimplified.

Evan, I see your point of view and understand it, but I believe there is a potential slippery slope. I've seen the member in question's info posted as retaliation or with ill intent. And I've seen him complain about it.

If posting another member's personal info is allowed, there's greater potential for mischief ... and work for the mods. If members post their own info, they're the ones taking the risk. If I post another member's info (with the best of intentions, even if he/she has posted it before), then I'm putting that person at additional risk.

As for the poster in question, I think we all spend way too much time discussing him. He's just not worth it.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oversimplified because I didn't mention that it's genesis was from Evan's post in FHoPol? I didn't mention that it was from Evan's post because I didn't want that information to skew the results but Evan took care of that when he mentioned it here in his first post to this thread, thank you Evan. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

12. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So you admit you twisted the situation into an inappropriate poll

13. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hmmmmm

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. Oversimplified because your question "Should a member's personal information be published on Priuschat forums?" doesn't take into account a member's personal choice about their own information.

By default, if you answer "No" to your poll, you're also saying that I shouldn't be able to post my own information or give anyone else permission.

Your question is all-encompassing. And that's why it's oversimplified.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's academic anyway. Very easy nowadays to mine personal data, especially if you have certain training and skills in that area.

At a certain level, if you truly want to be "private" then do *not* post on public sites like this one. That should be obvious

I'm truly amazed at the intensely personal information that folks post at social networking sites. Downright scary ...

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry I didn't make provision for every nuance and scenario but I would like to draw your attention to Choice number 3 "Only if the member selects "Allow vCard Download" in his/her User Options" and the brief explanation of what that entails in post #1. BTW Proco are you not capable of casting a vote and explaining any caveats/reservations in a post? The reason I ask is because it appears that you have already done that, and I mean the post not the vote. :nod: :rolleyes:

Wildkow

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  18. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    *BUMP* ??

That's just so lacking in class. Pushing his own post to the top like a whinning child who wants attention.