1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pesky very small evap leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by techguy802, Oct 20, 2022.

1. techguy802

techguy802 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been bothered by a P0456 very small evap leak for a while now and finally decided to try to chase it down. The fuel cap was replaced with an OEM Toyota cap with no change. I bought a smoke machine, and after filling the system from the evap hose in the engine bay, I noticed smoke coming out around the fuel cap. Upon closer inspection, it was actually coming out of the black plastic part that's under the fuel filler opening (accessible from under the car) that has a small hose coming off it. Does anyone know what part this is? The picture is from a newer mode but looks like mine. I'm probably going to just replace the whole filler neck assembly is this isn't a separate replaceable part. Thank you.

IMG_4360.jpeg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Right after look at the parts break down but that looks like the filler tank tube I wouldn't think that plastic piece would just come off of that other tube probably made together and when it leaks because it's compromised somewhere It looks cheap enough where you'd buy the whole thing.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That there is where the air inlet line comes out. That passage is normally open; there has to be a way for air to enter the tank as fuel is drawn out. (Fuel tanks aren't very sturdy with respect to vacuum; they can crumple right up.)

[​IMG]

So if you are introducing your test smoke into the purge line under the hood, the air inlet line is one place you'd expect the smoke to show up. You're looking for other places.

Have you studied the troubleshooting steps for P0456 in the repair manual yet? Getting a good understanding of how the system tests for small leaks can be very helpful in planning how you will approach tracking them down.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

There's a whole 38-page "EVAP system" section in the manual, separate from the troubleshooting sections for individual trouble codes. The individual code sections say stuff like "INSPECTION: Refer to EVAP System" so they don't have to duplicate that big section. So make sure you find that section as well as the ones for specific DTCs.
    (Its first page has the heading "EVAP System" and starts with a table of Related DTCs.)

The image above is a diagram, and not exactly the way the parts are really physically laid out. The diagram looks like the air inlet filter is right against the filler neck (like maybe it's that plastic blob there). In reality, there's just a hose there, and the filter is behind the left rear tire (it's the ? component here):

[​IMG]

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is that an EVAP canister or valve . This is about the only thing that turns the light on in my van when that little VSV valve goes bad near that canister like thing near the tank as soon as I replace the VSV the light goes off I guess Prius has a similar affair