1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Peter, Paul, and circumcision.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Apr 29, 2010.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Youse guys are providing a pretty good demonstration of how mature
    discussion about religion quickly breaks down into ugliness.

Won't you take a moment, cool off and let the other person speak
    his/her mind. After all, in the big picture, it's not going to change a
    thing. Along the way we can all be exposed to new ideas, make our
    own research/investigations, and create informed opinions.

A Possible But Improbable History:
    Why was Peter called the Rock?
    Of all the apostles, he was the only one who couldn't swim.
    A net would have been real handy to fish him out.
    Hence, the apostles were "Fishers of Men." :p

Lighten up, won't you?

EDIT: Or ask for a new restricted forum,
    Peter's House of Dunnage Mats --Religion
    (Unleavened bread of course.)

2 people like this.
  3. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What about Brian? I haven't heard anyone mention Brian.

Tom

4. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably because it's off topic. :focus:

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How is Brian off topic? I thought we were discussing apostles?

Tom

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's difficult to lighten up when someone accuses you of believing in something because you're brainwashed. Weak argument I know but when personal attacks are all you got . . .

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure that anyone said that you personally were brainwashed. I think the bigger argument was that brainwashing created religion. Once established, many people, such as yourself, are willingly drawn to it. It's like a social virus, and once started, uses others to do its reproduction.

Tom

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Trebuchet, nothing personal intended...

An [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem]Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] attack is nothing but an atavistic, mental regression.
    It is not unlike the desperate response of an animal trapped in a corner...
    go for the eyes.

We all know that there are more appropriate responses...
    but generally they take some thought and time to compose. :)

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bird circumcision.

You can sit there on that branch and make it sound so simple...

I see that look... you are not going to win the blink-game this time Bra...

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

11. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well now if I read this right that's just down right offensive qbee42. But no worries I don't take ignorant comments such as these personally.

12. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    None taken Rokeby I wasn't referring to myself but to daniel's remarks to spiderman.

BTW +1 on your remarks above, :thumb:

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's next? daniel and the den of lions?

14. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Belief in Jesus = religion. You say you talk to him in your head, so either he's some sort of spiritual entity (=religion), or you forgot to take your meds.

I'm anti-belief - I'd rather know.
    And the things I don't know, I really try not to pretend that I know.
    And things that can't be known (or aren't yet known), I'm perfectly content to wonder about and consider all the possibilities - rather than rule them all out except one.

15. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Daniel believed his cat was a lion. His cat also believed this. Local rodents disagreed - they believed he was the Angel of Death.

16. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think people are brainwashed into religion - I think they simply haven't taken the time to consider all the possibilities and so they reach for whatever is most accessible for them.

But when you really consider all the possibilities - ALL of them - you start to see them all for what they really are: possibilities, nothing more. And when you choose one to the exclusion of all others, you're making an assumption in the absence of adequate evidence - and those are often incorrect.

17. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In your reference to Peter the Rock. It was to himself Jesus refered to as the Rock. St Augustine in his Retractions stated that Christ was the only true foundation of the church. It is interesting to note that of the some 86 of the early christian fathers that only 17 understod that Jesus meant that Peter and not he himself was the rock he refered to. For more information on this I can be e mailed as this subject has little to do with Prius or green technology

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No. But they are as deluded and irrational as Christians, or as the devotees of any other religion.

EXACTLY!

Cats never bite me. :D

A tiger, actually.

He thought he was a crocodile. Or sometimes a hippopotamus.

Yes, but they were wrong. He just wanted to play. The mice were a bunch of spoil-sports and party poopers.

It's hard to respond point by point to posts that include their responses within quote boxes.

Religion is fundamentally irrational. Many religious people acknowledge this when they say that faith is belief in things unseen, by which they mean that if something can be known, it is not faith. Others claim to "know" that their own particular religion is "true" based on "experiences" that are entirely internal to their own mind. They fail to understand that there are other explanations for internal experiences. Both drugs and meditation, as well as hunger or sensory deprivation are known to induce "religious" experiences which feel quite convincing to the person experiencing them. But those experiences, as real as they seem, do not demonstrate the existence of a "spiritual" world.

The Roman Catholic popes claim their authority by a supposedly unbroken chain of apostolic succession from Peter. This is a clear demonstration that Roman Catholics regard Peter as the legitimate head of the Church after Jesus. Yet they reject Peter's position on the conversion question. Of course the whole matter becomes more complicated, since it was Paul, not Peter, who invented the cult of personality which is modern Christianity.

Several posters above have pointed out (correctly) that not all Christians support the bad things that their various churches have done. My point was not to accuse them. My point in speaking of the crimes of the churches was to show how religion motivates clerics into the most heinous crimes, and how religion is always and ever perpetuated by violence. Once is it firmly rooted in a society, many people come to it willingly. But it is planted there by unspeakable cruelty.

In the first few centuries after Jesus there were many different forms of Christianity; many different beliefs about who and what Jesus was, and the meaning of his life and death, and his relationship to god. The Marcionites believed there were two gods, and the Gnostics believed there were 365 gods. Differing beliefs abounded. Church authorities sought out people whose beliefs differed from their own and murdered them, until they finally eradicated such beliefs.

If you are a Christian today, your dogma is profoundly shaped by the fact that the early Church fathers wiped out competing beliefs about Jesus by murdering those with different beliefs, and finally by creating a canon of writings that supported their own views. Christians do not hold their present beliefs because those are in the Bible; rather they created the Bible to support their pre-existing beliefs. And they didn't even do that great a job of that, as the Bible is full of contradictions and demonstrable errors.

The point is NOT that believers are evil. The point is that BELIEF is harmful to the well-being of a society.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, no, no, this is the Fred's House of Pancakes. Lay it out man.

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are so many things wrong and baseless with your statement above I don't know where to start. But I will start with the most offending. If you are going to state the Bible is full of contradictions, you better state them with references. Remember not to cherry-pick passages without full context. That is no fair.
    As to the very last statement; wouldn't anything "harmful" to society be "evil". Talk about a contracting statement.
    It is a good thing today is Sunday so I can go to church and be around a bunch of other evil-doers. Perhaps we will go out and burn some non-believers... I am sure that is what the sermon is going to be about. :rolleyes: