1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Petraeus report late, White House having trouble spinning it

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 8 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]509114[/snapback]</div>
    What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about first So. Cal losing Colorado River water and now Sacramento River water. So. Cal is arid. It's basically a desert and cannot support the current population with natural rainfall. Should all of the people and businesses currently there just....move and leave the place deserted?

What does anything you say have to do with any of that?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 8 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]509151[/snapback]</div>
    I moved on to another subject (dberman) after my quick reply to you. Now pull your panties out of your crack. lol Yes, LA should not have been built where it is located or it should not have grown so large. This is the general idea behind bioregional development. If you run out of water then you should either improve your water efficiency or stop allowing people to move there. It is called SMART CITY PLANNING. Taking water from othr regions KILLS the region it was taken from soooo should Northern Cai just give up it's water and ruin our ecosystems because ignorant people all over California want green grass in the middle of summer in a mediterranean climate? No, people MUST change. Subsidizing a poor development by ruining other developments and ecosystems is pure lunacy.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 8 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]509161[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the clarification. Now that I know what I'm dealing with, I can safely put you on ignore.

I don't consider a "LOL" or a smiling face mitigation for that kind of insulting personal attack.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 8 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]509177[/snapback]</div>
    If you consider that a personal attack than you have more issues than I can mitigate. Take care. LOL

*EDIT*

I do not erase my original posts. I wrote them and I will accept my lumps instead of hiding them. I formally apologize to Godiva. I was rather crude in my joking and it didn't have the effect I desired and I was offensive. I and sorry Gidiva, and to anyone else who may have been offended by my remark in the previous post.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LA definitely should not exist. It has grown by stealing water from other people. Water rights politics have gotten as dirty as oil politics, if less violent to date.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 8 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]509095[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it would be easier and cheaper (and smarter) to conserve water and create renewable sources of water. That's why my country won't do that. See, what you Canadians do not realize is that we have no sanity test for government leaders.

BTW, when the U.S. invades Canada to steal its water, I will be protesting that war also. I am not advocating such a war, merely predicting it. Call me Jeremiah.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 8 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]509216[/snapback]</div>
    San Diego was established in 1568. I guess it was unfortunate they didn't have the forsight to relocate to...where? I for one would love to have a moratorium on housing, stop new builds and tear down plenty that don't meet code, are substandard or just plain blighted. But that's not likely to happen. This REPUBLICAN town is owned by the developers. They own the mayor and the city council and have for decades. So I guess I'll leave it to them to figure out what they're going to do about the water. Saying the town should never have been built doesn't solve anything.

Could we be selfsustaining? Probably not. Could we do a lot better than we do. Certainly. San Diego has done NOTHING for water recycling or instituting any sort of gray water program.

Muddied Waters.

It isn't the liberals fighting the "toilet to tap" initiatives. The best I can figure is....those that have money can afford to pay whatever the water bill amounts to. And they don't want to put one cent into anything that might help those less....affluent. I'm not sure what the reasoning is. If they can't afford the water they'll move somewhere else? Of course, then who would do the gardening and change the sheets?

We have (or had) a treatment plant in the middle of Mission Valley. I used to pass buy it. I apparently was a rousing success for what it did; treated the water, was efficient, cheap, etc. But are we building large scale ones and treating all of our water? Nope. Not at all. And no plans to.

You see why I need to be Mayor.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ 2007 09 08 15:37) [snapback]509216[/snapback]</div>
    No sanity test? Yes, we knew that. <_< An intelligence test and a 'freedom from corporate influence test' might not be a bad idea, either. How many politicians could possibly pass that triple whammy?

An invasion is going to be a serious challenge to my non-violence. Thanks for the support.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 8 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]509193[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. I accept.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 8 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]509242[/snapback]</div>
    You are right. I should not have said these cities should not exist. When they were founded they subsisted on local water.

However, they never should have been allowed to divert water from farther away than a person can ride on horseback in a day (without changing horses or maltreating the horse).

Of course, it's all an issue of population, and every person born thinks s/he has the right to have more kids than s/he can feed. It's time we recognize that unrestricted breeding is not a right we can afford. But since that's not going to happen, we are going to suffocate in our own waste if we don't exterminate ourselves warring over resources first.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 8 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]509151[/snapback]</div>
    Solar powered Desalination on a massive scale like in the middle east countries. At least you're not land locked. People have discovered and will never leave the perfect lower CA weather. With enough desal capacity S CA could reverse the direction of existing pipelines and send/sell water back to land locked desert states.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 9 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]509617[/snapback]</div>
    While I'm not dismissing desalination, I don't like it as an answer. I see too much single solution, rely on one answer to solve a complicated problem. I don't know what impact desalination might have on the local ocean ecology but I think we need to explore other options first. And the final answer should be a combination.

Muddied Water

"And a primary source would be to recycle waste waters, pumping all that liquid gold we now pump into the sea through treatment plants and back to our taps."

Not enough.

Still not enough.

At least the Alvardo treatment plant is going solar.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 9 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]509617[/snapback]</div>
    Just curious: How much land (for solar collection) would it take to desalinate enough water for a city the size of San Diego?

I think the first step would be to outlaw all lawn-watering and go back to natural ground covers that can survive in the climate. Then charge enough for water that people start getting out of the habit of flushing when the pee is clear or they're just tossing a kleenex.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]509726[/snapback]</div>
    I have no idea. The Alvarado treatment plant is not a desalination plant.

Good luck outlawing anything in a town where the previous mayor (Golding, I think) had TWO water meters, one for the house and one for the yard, so she didn't have to pay the higher tiered fees. She justified it by saying she hosted a lot of public functions in her garden. Well, *I* was never invited and she's not mayor anymore. But I bet she still has the two water meters.

The only thing they do is raise the water rates. Like they do the electricity. It's tiered. They decide what you deserve and you pay more if you go over that amount. The more you use the more you pay. Which hurts...you guessed it....the working poor with the big families.

We've been through several droughts so already embrace the "If it's yellow, it's mellow, if it's brown it's down" concept of toilet flushing. We all have the low flow, much to the delight of all rotorooter plumbers who have vacation homes built by service calls for clogged plumbing. There's been a big stink about homeowners paying more for water while commercial got a price cut. We're supposedly going to get a 'rebate' on the overcharges and commercial is supposed to be charged more to balance it out, but I won't hold my breath. I've heard our rates are still going up. Plus we'll have to cut back by 20%. So....we keep paying more for less.

*I* have a recycling washing machine. So I will be able to wash two loads with only one "tank".

But I think I'm going to have to install gutters and buy rainbarrels.

14. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 8 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]509193[/snapback]</div>
    No need to apologize in FHOP for crude/insulting remarks. Burritos makes them all the time and the monitors don't do anything about it.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 9 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]509852[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't fear the mods. I simply do not like to insult just for the sake of insulting. Now bandying words with people of differing viewpoints I'm all for, but unless something really provokes me I'd rather not hurt someones feelings.

Thank you for the advice though. :)

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]509726[/snapback]</div>
    Here is an article about world class desalinization technology:

http://www.water-technology.net/projects/israel/

Not solar powered yet.