1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV Charging Best Practices

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Andrew Garberson, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Andrew Garberson

Andrew Garberson New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most full BEVs come with charging best practices, like charging to 80% rather than 100% to preserve battery health. Do you have any PHEV charging recommendations or simply charge to 100% to get as many miles as possible on the Prime?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Charging PP to 100% on dash is in reality only charging to 84%. Toyota programmed the changing protocol to reserve the top 16%. When you drive on EV mode and the charge is depleted, it is not really 0%, but it is around14%. This is reserved as well. You do not have to worry about stopping the charge at 80%, but for the longevity of the traction battery, Toyota does recommend not to keep the car fully charged (although it is only at ~84%). Use a charge schedule timer so that the battery sits at full charge shortest time possible.

Valiant V and MTN like this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ That.

It's ......ah......"plug and play." :D

Valiant V likes this.
  4. lmans66

lmans66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So are you saying to plug the charger in and only charge up to 90% or so? ...and to do this with a charge timer? jim

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. I am saying plug the charging cord and let the car take care of it. Complete the charging (showing 100% battery SoC on the dash) will result in stopping charging to 84% SoC in reality. The car does it automatically. Toyota programmed charge protocol to account for the top margin reservation for the battery longevity. You can not charge the traction battery more than 84% (in real Soc) on PP.

#5 Salamander_King, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Storm88000 and Valiant V like this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Owning 4 different PHEV’s models over the last decade and observing said forums throughout that time as led me to these:

1) Avoid charging a hot battery on L2 in hot temps.
    2) Avoid letting a hot, full battery sit for long periods.
    3) When possible, use EV for low speeds, HV for high.
    4) The cooler the clime the better.

I can’t do much about the last one unless I move but I can easily avoid the first two by skipping public “opportunity” charging and relying on HV instead and by setting timers to have the battery begin and finish charging just before morning departure. That gives mine about 10 hours to cool and rest before the next charge/use cycle.

Another consideration: TMS (thermal management system). An active liquid cooled TMS is better than an air-cooled TMS at maintaining temps (and all the pro’s that entails) but........ air-cooled systems are cheaper, easier to maintain/service, and more reliable (see Prius).

My 2 cents.