1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV Conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrbigh, Sep 16, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does it feel like it's not a complete coincidence that those 3 extra batteries fit in so perfectly? Keep em coming, looks great so far.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 30 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]519646[/snapback]</div>
    Let me tell you that it is a tight squeeze .....

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a few questions for you.

1. How are you going to cool the batteries during charging and discharging?

2. Are you going to baby the batteries like Toyota does with the stock battery? Are you going to keep it in the 40-80 range or are you going to try to max it out in the 10-90 range or do you plan to run them dry?

3. What is your expected range on electric only?

4. Would there be enough room to group these batteries into smaller bricks for easy removal? Something like a cinder block size box with connectors to daisy chain the boxes?

5. Is there enough room there to sink the charger below somewhere out of the way?

6. When you get this rig fully tested and post great results will you help me build a pack? Thats if Hymotion does not come out with a ~30 mile pack for around $5k. If they have a pack for that price I'm going to get their pack instead of building one. :D

Keep up the good work!

4. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Answers to fallow

5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Oct 1 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]519677[/snapback]</div>

1. How are you going to cool the batteries during charging and discharging?

Already though about it and it is in the works, I installed an electronic thermometer (with adjustable settings) to trigger some blowers and /or recirculating fans wile the lid of the cargo area is closed.

2. Are you going to baby the batteries like Toyota does with the stock battery? Are you going to keep it in the 40-80 range or are you going to try to max it out in the 10-90 range or do you plan to run them dry?

A MUST, but not as Toyo complexity. Will use the extra pack up to usable voltage to the MM charger.

3. What is your expected range on electric only?

I guesstimate an add on 7.5 KWh, wait until I start driving....................

4. Would there be enough room to group these batteries into smaller bricks for easy removal? Something like a cinder block size box with connectors to daisy chain the boxes?

This NiMH cells can be combined and distributed in the car in any imaginable way but these need to be interconnected, requiring extra wiring and interconnects, adding impedance and hence, loss. The right way to do it is as shorter and closer is better.

In this case, each pack or battery cluster is 102Lb average. The concept of this prototype design is once installed , removal is not necessary until maintenance requirements but yes, these can be split for easier removal.

5. Is there enough room there to sink the charger below somewhere out of the way?.

This MM charger is large ( all of the other brands also) and requires open ventilation for better performance and life span.

6. When you get this rig fully tested and post great results will you help me build a pack?

No problem!! The project I started is open source. If you are handy with mechanical tools is a plus.

That's if Hymotion does not come out with a ~30 mile pack for around $5k.

KEEP DREAMING and all the others PHEV's enthusiasts to be too.

If they have a pack for that price I'm going to get their pack instead of building one.

ME 2.

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very nice work! I will follow this thread with much interest. This is exactly the conversion I would like to do, and more or less exactly how I was planning to do it. Due to budgetary constraints and development time/effort it looks like I will be starting with a straight up Cal Cars lead acid conversion. That will give me a year or two to work on the replacement, so when the lead acid dies the NimH is ready to go in :D

Rob

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Nice work!! Now have you given any thought about putting your other pack in the back seat again too? :D

I think it is great to have a plug-in that keeps the hatchback area looking the same.

Thanks for the pictures.

8. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 2 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]520442[/snapback]</div>
    My first intention on the newest NiMH conversion was to replace my existing PbA box on the rear seat area, I have the mechanical design drawings of the Al box with sliding batteries trays but became costly and time consuming for a prototype of this kind.

My second though was the cargo area; after exchanging few ideas with Norm D ( eflier ) I asked him if I can use his battery array concept for my new install with a variation and a twist. All steel frame with welded tabs and a hanging structure for the lower battery array. Support to the car body and frame is by means of Stainless Steel fasteners and spot welded reinforcing pieces. Yes, I had to retrain myself on the Arc Welder for this project.

After taking in consideration some dimensions, electrical necessities and "safety requirements", I drew a basic idea up to the final conception of the completed project in several note pads

I'm planning to use this prototype conversion for a while, this layout have an open area for rework and testing as needed without complications and back breaking stories, this is the beauty of it and already I have plans for more than one version of power source configuration.

First testings will be demanding.

9. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am in awe. And I will watch yur reports with much anticipation. I do have a question that is within my knowledge, since most of what you do is way beyond me, you said you recharged 15 times on the way to Madison. How did you accomplish this? We who desire a plugin wonder how we will recharge cross country.

10. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nwprius @ Oct 3 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]520963[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the comments.

In my long introduction it is explained but nerveless, a second time is not an effort.

Thanks to the generosity of rest stops and gas stations mechanics/attendants along our way. People that we ask for a power source to recharge the PHEV never denied use of it, in some instances of our return trip we stopped in the same places and we left some money in tips as token of appreciation plus a lengthly explanation of the mechanical and electrical conversion of the "Pluggin Yorkers".

Until a business adventure capital shows-up to implement electricity on demand meters for a fee next to the gas pumps.... friendship and good will is only necessary.

11. claytonsuch

claytonsuch New Member

mrbigh,
    My name is Clayton, I am a mechanical engineering student at the University of Texas at Austin, and I am currently converting my uncle's 2004 Prius to a PHEV. Your car looks incredible! This forum has been an excellent source for "how to" information for a PHEV conversion process.

I have purchased: the EV button/kit, CAN-View V4+, Lilliput screen GL701-NPCT. I am in the process of installing these items. I plan on creating a website documenting my conversion process.

I am planning on purchasing 3 used Prius NiMH batteries and stringing the modules together the way you and Norm have done. I would like to hear your thoughts on using the Manzanita Micro charger for this type of conversion. Also do you know what type of charger Norm is using in his car? And finally, do you have a schematic your interlock box that you are willing to share with me?

Thank you
    -Clayton

P.S. I will be attending these events this month:

PHEV conference in Winnipeg, MB, CA
    http://www.pluginhighway.ca/

Maker Fair in Austin, TX
    http://makerfaire.com/

12. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Sep 16 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]513222[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I know I must be missing something here, but I still don't understand how there will be "2 to 3 times more power range."

By my calculations, the 20 PbA batteries, 28 ah, and 12 volt batteries supply a potential 6720 watts. By my calculations, the four NiMH battery packs (original plus the extra three) are 6.5 ah, at 201 volts supply a potential of 5226 watts.

A point in favor of the NiMH batteries though is that they can be used deeper without problems. But according to mrbigh, they will remain in the 40% to 80% range (or 40% of the total available battery) such as Toyota has specified. That gives a potential of 2090 watts. The PbA batteries will not last as long with such a workout, so I guessed a usual allowance of 33% discharge, which gives a potential of 2240 watts.

Another point in favor of the NiMH batteries is that they may last three times as long as the PbA, which seems to me the major advantage. However, in the economics of this situation you are buying possibly three-year-old NiMH batteries that have been used for roughly equal price as the 20 PbA batteries are new. I just wonder how that factors into the longevity equation.

I also don't know how the charging situation is with both types of batteries. Will the same battery charger charge both types, or will another special charger need to be purchased for the NiMH batteries? It seems that charging 20 PbA batteries should be less complex than all the small NiMH batteries.

13. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Oct 8 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]522789[/snapback]</div>
    A compounding problem with PbA is their non-linear discharge characteristics, as described by Peukert's Equation. Basically the faster you discharge a PbA battery, the less capacity it has. While the 28Ah pack might have 6.72 kWh at 1A discharge, at 60A it only has about 4.37 kWh. As you mention, if you use all of that, the pack will only last 200-300 cycles. This pack weighs ~500lbs for a density of 8.74 Wh/lb at 100% DOD.

NimH does not exhibit this effect, and will give you almost the whole rated capacity at full load. Each added oem pack has a potential energy of ~1.3 kWh. At a weight of 64lbs (battery modules only), these packs have a density of 20.3 Wh/lb at 100% DOD. So you get about 2.3 times more energy for a given weight. I'd say its about a wash beyond that, as you'd need to baby either pack a bit to extend its service life.

Some of the calcars folks have started testing out the Nilar NimH modules, it will be very interesting to see how that works out! They look to have Wh/lb ratings heading into the high 20s!

Rob

14. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Oct 8 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]522789[/snapback]</div>
    As Rob Smith explained it in a very mathematical, easy to understand and correct way, I can only add that my current and "future to be completed " NiMH PHEV conversion pack is NOT parallel tied to the OEM like others do.

I'm using a sort of expensive AC-DC / DC converter, featuring Power Factor Correction ( do a wiki on this at your leisure), with it I obtain a constant current and regulated voltage output manipulated in such a way that make an efficient PHEV conversion.

This same device serve the purpose of battery charger and more for pennies at night.

I'm far away to have this conversion completed; as a refresher, so far all mechanical's are done, almost all signal, low voltage and HV wiring completed and rechecked 3 times. I just started the task and very time consuming of checking, balancing and equalizing the NiMH modules, piece by piece......before putting these to use.

Meanwhile, developing and building my own BMS for the NiMH's.

And trying to check and answer PM from the PC site when it is NOT down or out of service.....at home in the night time.

I'm sorry, I'm not the type of guy that jumps into the board to tell everyone that today I went to the electrical supply shack, bough a length of cable and I splice it from here to there or glued some PVC tubing to "invent" a ventilation apparatus to amuse the crowd and hundreds of board hits.

I think that when a real improvement in this project is made, it will be share it in a timely maner for those who are interested and fallowing this unique thread at a higher technical level than novice or apprentice. I know that certain generated questions will be self answer by other members willing to participate in good fate and to all of them I thank you for supporting Prius Chat.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 8 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]522956[/snapback]</div>
    And I think that's completely reasonable Horacio. We can handle most of the basic stuff, but new pix of major advances and explainations of significant advances or technical stumbling blocks overcome are appreciated.

16. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claytonsuch @ Oct 6 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]522090[/snapback]</div>
    My name is Clayton, I am a mechanical engineering student at the University of Texas at Austin, and I am currently converting my uncle's 2004 Prius to a PHEV. Your car looks incredible! This forum has been an excellent source for "how to" information for a PHEV conversion process.

Welcome to the Prius Chat community, hope you learn a lot through these pages filled with very useful information on Prii.
    Your local support in Texas will be Cheap!, an excellent person and willing to help at any time, hope you have a great time with him at the Maker Fair in Austin, a great place to get your feet wet in building and modding .

I have purchased: the EV button/kit, CAN-View V4+, Lilliput screen GL701-NPCT. I am in the process of installing these items. I plan on creating a website documenting my conversion process.

You just bought the right kind of stuff to start playing with the Prius.
    Take you time, document as much as possible and take notorious pictures to insert in the web pages, people like that.

I am planning on purchasing 3 used Prius NiMH batteries and stringing the modules together the way you and Norm have done. I would like to hear your thoughts on using the Manzanita Micro charger for this type of conversion. I'm using a PFC40HM from them and basically is the power horse of the system. Also do you know what type of charger Norm is using in his car? It is his proper design and built, a 10KW inverter. And finally, do you have a schematic your interlock box that you are willing to share with me?

The basic electrical wiring of the PHEV I built is open source and can be found here ,today and now. The completed block diagram and circuitry of operation of my PHEV " will be" posted in our local Prius group (LIPOG) when finished and fully operational, as it is my current PHEV conversion.</span>

<span style="color:#999999">For the time been, is a project under research and development and may/will incure revisions or changes as necessary.

17. claytonsuch

claytonsuch New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Those are some nice pictures on LIPOG.org -- nice wiring, coils and interconnects -- sweet job!
    -Clayton

18. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD, I'M IN AWE.