1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured PHEV Era needs to immediately end

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rmay635703, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    #1 Rmay635703, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first step is the buyer to do a requirements analysis with mandatory and optional. Then do a market survey to compare and contrast the possible vehicles. Our experience:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx - the car fully meets our long distance and local requirements and was critical to understanding the important features of an EV.
    • 2017 Prius Prime - the car fully met our long distance requirements but was marginal around town. It also confirmed that fast DC charging is critical for long range EV travel.
    • 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 - bought in part by trading in the Prius Prime and retaining the BMW i3-REx as backup.
    It is hubris to eliminate PHEV as a possible solution. They have value as a transition and teaching vehicle. In some cases, people may stall or even revert to ICE. Since a PHEV is their purchase, I can share my experience but there are cases where a PHEV makes sense.

Bob Wilson

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HaHa - there is no way that every car buyer tomorrow will be able to acquire an EV even if there were facilities for charging.

Which there aren't in most places - there are still villages on our planet where they don't have electricity!!!! He needs to get real.

But the biggest issue would be - battery supply. EVs use huge batteries compared with PHEVs - which are huge compared with Hybrids.

End of story - come back in 10 years.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Executive summary:

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 6.52.36 AM.png

Seemed like a very long-winded way of recognizing that people want solo carpool lane access and substantial financial relief from the price of cars via tax incentives, and that everything else (including energy source) is secondary.

5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems an odd strategy to eliminate one option from a consumers choice.

He makes some good points but fails to realize everyone doesn't think like himself or share his particular driving situation

I think PHEV's will take care of themselves. Subsidiaries eventually run out and the consumer will eliminate or extend PHEV manufacturing based on their marketplace choice.

Don't think consumers need him to tell them which - they are smart enough to decide on their own
    if the PHEV makes sense for them.

#5 John321, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I commented on his dumb rant.

Every year I've owned my Prime I've taken at least 10 trip-legs that couldn't have been done in a long-range EV. This year, that's only been two trip-legs so far because of the pandemic, but that still means if I had bought, say, a Model 3 long range I'd have had over 30 trips so far I'd have been unable to do.

That's unacceptable. Until EVs are capable of meeting 100% of my needs - as my Prius Prime is - then I won't be buying one. It would be ideal if they met my needs at a similar price to what I paid for my Prime Advanced, which was $23.4k out-the-door after tax credits. They also have to do it without the intense pain of the boredom of waiting for a car to charge. I'll tolerate 10 minutes, but 8 minutes would be better.

8. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Must be a chaz buzzword fanatic.

How do you "defund big oil"?

#8 ice9, Jun 12, 2020
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That may be true, but most places have electricity, and where there is electricity there is typically an outlet. Yes there are many places that don't have multiple stall quick Chargers but we service the majority - before reaching the outer Fringe of habitability.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO phev's make sense for the next century for certain drivers. For example there is a fairly large lack of choice among bev crossovers and sports cars. If you want to tow fairly long distance or go off road having the option to switch to a liquid fuel. Friend needed a better vehicle to tow. He went in to get a tacoma but ended up with a tundra. He said its going to be the last guzzler he buys. Put a slightly modified rav4 prime drivetrain into a small pick up and it would cover most or all of his daily miles, but still work well when towing.

#10 austingreen, Jun 12, 2020
    Aaron Vitolins and alanclarkeau like this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The author has some logic behind some of his positions.
    However, I believe he is too far separated from people that don't think like him. PHEVs are a great 'gateway drug' to BEVs.
    They allow people to get, if they want, most of the benefits of electric driving.
    PHEVs also allow people to live with a car that they fuel at home (in many cases) and to get used to the concept of plugging in.

IMO, the transition to sustainable transportation would go slower without PHEVs.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Until thoroughly conditioned, the PHEV eliminates the "Oh $hit!" moment when one forgets to plug in the night before.

Tideland Prius and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about that - here, we're relatively civilised. There are enough chargers for the meagre few EVs around - and PHEVs. Start selling EVs at the rate they sell ICE/Hybrid/PHEV cars - and there'd be a line up for a week to charge.

Friend in UK with a PHEV, says that when touring (for work), he often finds the chargers on-route are either not working (seems a common problem there); or with a line-up - he comments that he's glad it's not an EV.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    91869033-F22A-4363-8F89-184B3B52AACB.png
    Im reminded of an old British Electricians joke about a particular British appliance companies reliability.

I wonder if Lucas UK made the chargers themselves?

#14 Rmay635703, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so very true !!
    by the same token .... when the the electricity goes out, the gas pumps don't work either

Some of the Amish communities that we toured south of Nashville don't use any electricity. But they don't mind using little gas enginess to run their well pumps or wood lathes. It's all about preferences.
    As for plugins, it's ironic the OP thinks it's time to get rid of PHEV's .... yet it'll be challenging for years to come - just to get many drivers to consider owning a hybrid.

#15 hill, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Trollbait and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    some of the Amish up here have fully functional antique windmills Monitor Baker and the like pumping

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    CleanTechnica is not an independent news source. They are extremely pro-Tesla to a point it's basically propaganda.

Now that we're seeing the introduction of compelling PHEVs that are can be reasonably cross-shopped with a Tesla (Escape PHEV, RaV4 Prime), there's a concerted push to fight PHEVs. Simple as that.

fotomoto, Rmay635703 and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a great tinfoil hat story ;)
    CleanTechnica is biased towards Tesla. However, I would argue they are independent and would be biased towards any company with Tesla's Mission Statement and track record.

I don't dismiss the article out-of-hand. I read it, and it raises some interesting points. As I stated earlier, I disagree with the conclusion..
    But likewise, I disagree with it based on the argument, not some imaginary goal of the blog.

Trollbait and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucas, prince of darkness.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. AldoON

AldoON Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Pretty biased and ultimately useless article IMO.

Perhaps a better argument would be whether PHEVS should get government incentives/ other green car perks.

I live in a condo where cost and bureaucracy make installing a charging station prohibitive. I can still charge at work and a couple of places near my condo. For people like me, a PHEV is the only electric way to go. Most of the time, I can charge... Often I can't and that's where the ICE kicks in :)

I doubt infrastructure will be there anytime soon for everyone to have a BEV.