1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV mod under way, Bristol, UK.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    anyone already tested the canview on the 2010?
    just to see if info is presented like MG1 rpms and currents and stuff

2. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is a thread somewhere overhere saying that Toyota came with completely new codes/software for 2010 model line. So, if true it will take some time to reverseengineer and update the CanView soft before going public.. edit: I think they talked about Scangauge's not compatibility -> so stands to reason that CanView with pre 2010 firmware/software won't work either, just a guess..

3. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    where is ths topic..... can not believe it. damm

i hope the canview will be updated....

edit

sorry nikki i am to fast for you again haha

4. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Bother! Oh well. At least my video is up there :)

I'll be doing a proper one at some point - and I'm also working on doing a side-by-side between mine and the OEM Toyota one... More on that if it happens! :)

Nikki.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    omg the OEM plugin prius

so you now someone in the UK thats driving it or going to drive it?

WAUWWWWWWW i need a vacation to the UK SOON.

6. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nikki, great video, I'm glad your are using that charge status external signal.
    Was it hard to prey into the back light assembly, perhaps you should seal it from moisture.. ?

7. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but my change of career is opening new doors. I'm talking with Toyota UK about getting a ride in one of theirs...

I'm also booked in to test-drive the iMiev, a few other pre-production vehicles and negotiating with Tesla too :)

Aaaaah. I like my job (even though it doesn't pay yet)

No, I've only put a temporary measure in. I'm planning on doing something more long-term very soon :)

Nikki.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    aminorjourney,

please keep us posted... with lots of pix if it is permitted. :rockon:

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I Love this guy, it shows that doesn't drive a Prius and in "undercover"...
    You remind me our past "vice-president Chaney", never to be found anywhere; but left the convenience political position with chock'full of gold..............
    Why are you wasting your time being "nothing"?

10. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "mrbigh" what is your problem? Despite the fact you boast about your PHEV conversion rolling since B.C., your factual contribution to this thread/topic has been "nothing" of interest recently..

11. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who? What? eh? You can't be talking about me - I'm a girl. So who ARE you talking about ? ;)

12. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nikki, I've noticed your post in the PHEV sub forum about your prospective UK business venture, since you are going to evaluate various suppliers, you might consider the implementation of that high speed stealth kit (<52mph EV) as linked 2pages before.. Finally some sort of hands on validation of this method for EU ver. Prius will be much appreciated.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is so great nikki
    i hope it al works out

maybe do a UK trip to have a feel for the 2010 plugin :D please:D

please be a little more nice to another.

about Mesuge not about you:D

who is this undercover guy anyway:rolleyes:
    a VW or toyota undercover guy:p
    ////////////////////////////////
    nikki about the BMSplus

do you also notice that when driving in BMS auto mode the voltage drops to 189 and then the ice starts to rev really high..
    and when this combined with a moment where you need to accelerate to go on the highway you get lose of power because the system is trying to priori charge the pack back up..

i notice this often.

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Leon, what software version are you using? I'm not going through
    the same problem on acceleration.................

15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not on acceleration
    buth when i drive in EV mode and the voltage go´s down to 195 volts and i letgo of the gas pedal so the ICE wil not start at that point
    then when i hitt the gas padel again the voltage drops to 189 volt and the ice kicks in directly pfcourse buth because the virtual SOC then is down to 40% or so the ice revss up a lot and i lose power when i also want to accelerate at the same moment.

i use BLjan279

16. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Nikki and everyone else. Thanks in advance for all the great contributions. I'm eagerly awaiting my parts in the mail to basically follow Nikki's setup using Norm's BMS+ and CAN-View on a 2008 Prius. I have only one extra pack right now. I'm in process of testing it to be sure that it's OK - no bad cells, just got my linesman's gloves!

Here's my question: What is the best way to parallel in this one pack while allowing a second (and third?) pack to be added later. I plan on using Andersons to connect to OEM following cal-cars method. Can the cal-cars setup (I'll be using #6 AWG BTW) accomodate several future packs on that same bolt or do I need to splice in more than one place for future packs.?

One other question - hope this isn't a dumb question but when I connect the zivan ng3, do I just plug it in to yet another set of wires bolted into the splice points via another Anderson? This preserves parallel topology but seems kludgey.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just one pack.. get a second one really you need to. i have found that you need 2 packs with the oem one to get any real usable range.

19. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to keep costs down but I'm sure you're right. I need to start searching for that next pack. I wanted to collect some data on two total just out of curiosity but it sounds like there might be some problems with just two total - more heat generated, etc.

I'm hopefully going to visit someone nearby who has installed Norm's BMS+.

So regarding the wiring - any recommendations? I've attached a crude diagram.:confused:

Attached Files:

20. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got it in one!

The alternative (and possibly better looking) modification would be to take just ONE single, high power cable out of the OEM battery and then build a distribution box/post to split the cables out to the two aux batteries. Having three cables (you need a set of cables for the charger too, don't forget!) exiting the OEM battery pack is quite tough. Using just one of appropriate rating and then splitting it may be a better solution. If I were doing the conversion again I suspect that's what I'd do.

Color code the cables and the packs. It helps remember which cable goes where. Keep the cables as short as you can - it helps keep resistances down.

Regarding the pin-outs for the Zivan NG3 charger. The 5 pin DIN socket on the top can be used to build an external SOC charge light.
    The earth pin is the chassis of the Din plug while pins 1 and 5 are used for the other two pins of a bi-color LED.

Just filled up today after another long tank.

Since converting, I've filled up four times, driving 3037 miles. The average fuel economy since plugging in works out to about 70 mpg US (84 UK mpg or 3.36 litres per 100km)

Nikki.