1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Philips Dubai Lamps

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by El Dobro, Feb 7, 2021.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The most efficient bulbs made. Good luck buying them.

iplug likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's to hoping the good Folks at Sylvania and GE will be reverse engineering these suckers in short order.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They'll cut my electric bill even more. :D

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    200 lumens per watt is impressive. See some others here:

Lumens Per Watt Measure of Lighting Efficiency

For thousands of years light at night was from fire. So I took a shot at that and got 0.3 lumens per watt. Twisty tungsten light bulbs almost reach 13 (thespruce), a 40-fold increase in efficiency. Dubai increases efficiency of 'light bulbs' by >15-fold. Edison still wins the ratio game.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I don't believe another 40-fold increase is even possible with something reasonably resembling white light. 250-350 lumens/watt seems to be the limit, depending on one's definition of "white". The better the color accuracy one needs, the lower the limit.

If a pure monochromatic source (specifically 555 nm, a green leaning towards yellow) is acceptable, then 683 lumens/watt is the cap.

In the sense of closing the gap between current reality and future theoretical limits, then this LED is doing very well.

tochatihu likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Full-spectrum white light is one of two goals. The other is to match the action spectrum of green-plant photosynthesis. Requires both red and blue peaks.

Philips may be working on that as well, as Dubai guys like to grow plants in controlled environments. Not only them, to be sure. Sending transpired water around the loop again is handy where it's a limiting resource.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at some chlorophyll absorption spectrums, it looks like these plants could benefit from some specially tuned non-white patterns. So I can foresee some divergence between home & office product and separate grow-light products.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are already greenhouses and 'grows' (of crops not everywhere legal) with red and blue LEDs. The combination is not appealing to human eyes, but CO2 eaters love it.

I have asked 'the kids' why plants are green, and some can think it through all the way to action spectra.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    El Dobro and fuzzy1 like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't yet had time to watch the video yet --

I'm seeing complaints that these lamps come in just two color temperatures, don't have a high CRI, are not dimmable, are available in only a few form factors, not including what many designers want. All these are a problem when the local law mandates they use only this lights.

Has anyone verified the efficiency claims? For a partnership announced in 2016, with lamps on the market not long after, this should have been done somewhere already. To have not spread beyond that locality in over four years, raises the aroma of aging fish.

Maybe the video has some better answers, when I get 32 minutes to watch the whole thing.

iplug likes this.
  11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the post. Very impressive lumens/watt and improvements in longevity. As fuzzy1 points out, some downsides including low CRI.

My best find so far was the recent purchase at $3.33/bulb of a 6-pack of 150 lumens/watt: dimmable vintage LED Edison bulbs, 8W, 1200Lumens, 3000K, Standard E26 Medium Base, Clear Glass, CRI 90+.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I very frequently enable the closed captioning and set playback speed to 2x. Only 16 minutes then.

Automated captions sometimes require a little reverse engineering of what words the speaker really used, but that just keeps it interesting.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I recently changed internet plans to get a higher data rate, maybe I can try to play at higher rates. The old one could barely keep up to standard rate before the pandemic, then slowed down for the second half of the year.

Watching the whole thing, it seems that the internal regulator was built around a particularly narrow range of input voltage, unacceptable in much of the world.

On his meter, it was pulling 20% more power than advertised.

And I have to wonder why most of the information I see is just regurgitation of the original marketing material. If there were real technical advances here, it seems really really strange to not have more detail out there. That is why I want to see some actual test results. The situation makes me wonder if Dubai's truth in advertising requirements are looser than in numerous western countries.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Cree announced >200 lumen/watt white LEDs several years ago.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did see something to that effect, along with comments that that spec was for the bare die alone, at a junction temperature of 25C. Add in the higher operating temperatures and driver circuit losses of a complete product, and the overall product efficiency drops.

But I haven't been keeping track of the market for some years, so have missed numerous advances.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried purchasing a few of these bulbs, since it was mentioned in the video comments that they were on Amazon. When I got to my address, zippo, not available.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never really checked what their player does at the higher rates, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it can communicate the setting to the server end and get a stream with some frames dropped, so 2x wouldn't require 2x bandwidth.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also saw them on Amazon.

Or rather, make that Amazon.ae (United Arab Emirates), not Amazon.com (U.S.), and priced in United Arab Emirates dirham, not U.S. dollars. That site's available delivery locations are limited to:

Select your City:
    • Dubai
    • Abu Dhabi
    • Sharjah
    • Ajman
    • Al Ain
    • Fujairah
    • Ras Al Khaimah
    • Umm Al Quwain
    or
    Ship outside the UAE
    • Bahrain
    • Kuwait
    • Oman
    • Saudi Arabia
    I didn't go far enough to see if these particular items would ship outside the UAE. But my zip code won't compute in any of those locations.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just put in a 15w, 1150 lumen, warm white led ceiling light. replaced a 100w incandescent. i can't believe how bright it is.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that is really just a 75W replacement. An old fashioned 100W lamp should be 1600-1700 lumens.