1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone calls dropping

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Michael Duchek, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Michael Duchek

Michael Duchek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hello, we have a 2018 Prius Prime (Plus) and incidentally also have a 2018 Highlander. This issue happens on both of them but thought I'd try here. My Samsung S21+ has an issue where after about 20-30 seconds, the bluetooth for calls drop and I have to talk on the phone itself, so I have gotten into the habit of just disconnecting the bluetooth when making a call, but I miss being able to make calls with the cars. The other symptom is that the buttons (call, hang up) don't respond when I press them and the car sometimes still think a call is still going when it's not. I tried finding solutions but have not found one yet. I read something about changing some of the advanced bluetooth settings in Android settings, but had no luck. Anyway, wondering if anyone has had this issue. Music through bluetooth still works fine. Thanks!

jazzalto likes this.
  2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there a software update for your phone? I had a similar problem with my iPhone and a software update fixed it.

3. Michael Duchek

Michael Duchek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My software has been updated many times on my phone and the problem persists.

jazzalto likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I suggest that you borrow a different type of phone from someone else just long enough to prove whether the problem is with the car or the phone.......because Toyota will blame it on Samsung and Samsung will blame Toyota.

Wild guess: Do you have another bluetooth device present that might be interfering with the connection to the phone ??

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You could try deleting the phone on the Prius and forgetting the Prius on the phone, then repairing everything. Sometimes that works.

Maybe Toyota has a firmware update to the head unit to address the issue?

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and have never had an issue. Perhaps you are accidentally touching the touchscreen on your phone? It sounds like there is something trivial going on. Bluetooth on these cars simply works.

7. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep I had this problem with my 2014 Tundra and checking for and installing software updates did help but, also, deleting the phone entirely from the system then reconnecting everything seemed to make the dropped calls decrease.
    With the Tundra, not only would it drop calls, it would completely reboot itself while driving...sometimes rebooting 3-4 times in a 45 minute span. VERY annoying!!

jazzalto likes this.
  8. jazzalto

jazzalto New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Been having the same issue as well as those that ColoradoBoo is having. Resetting the whole system in the middle of a call. Ending calls. not being responsive when using the touchscreen in the car. They've updated the software twice and are trying a hard reset today. Let's hope it works. But I know of at least one other person having this issue with a newer 5G phone. The phone companies are blaming Toyota as the phones don't drop calls, etc. when they are not connected to the car bluetooth. Nor do they when connected with other bluetooth speakers/headphones, etc.