1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos of Toyota Scion iQ on dealer lot in California

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was driving by the Toyota of Carlsbad (California) dealer today when all of a sudden my brain said "was that an iQ that I just saw?" I made a U-turn, went back and sure enough... (look at the photos below). The license plate is a distributors' plate and the car was just there for "sales training" according to the sales manager. He said the Scion iQ would be on sale in "early October" for "about $17,000" and it gets "a combined 37 mpg." He showed me the interior, which was nice and he showed me how it's a 2+1 seater, meaning that when the front passenger seat is pushed halfway forward, an adult passenger can fit behind the passenger seat. Because the car is small, like a Smart car (also in the photos - apparently they were training the sales people on the comparison to a Smart car and small Fiat, which was also there), the Scion iQ has a total of ELEVEN airbags, including rear window curtain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey cool.

Couple questions, you say it was a 2+1 seat layout whereas here in Europe it's a 3+1. Did you have a look at the interior in detail and do you have any pictures? Did you see the turning circle in action? Assuming you get that in the US.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think he or the dealer just slipped up the number, maybe forgot to count the driver. It is 3+1.

Is the CVT available overseas, and is it flat towable(with all 4 wheels on the ground)?

4. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I did not get a picture of the interior. The salesman was talking to me and showing me the car - I would have had to ask him to move out of the way so I could take a photo of the not-yet-released car. I'm lucky I got the few pics that I did without them saying "Hey! No pictures!"

There are two seats in the front (driver and passenger) and there is one seat in the back, behind the passenger. There are
    A total of three seats in the car. I said "2+1" because there are two seats in the front and one in the back for a total of three seats. Correct me if I'm wrong on the naming convention.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what's behind the drivers seat? Was it a small folded down rear seat as is the case with the Euro IQ (3+1) or is it a cargo area?

Just curious.

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IIRC, it is 3 adults plus a child, so 3+1.
    Best if all passengers get along with one another...

7. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found the comment about the 2+1 seating interesting... It said you had to move the front passenger seat forward so an adult could sit in the rear seat. Wouldn't that make it 2 + 1/2 seating? What happens to the poor front seat passenger?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm kinda P.O.'d that Toyota has no intention to sell the EV model to the public . . . only businesses get 'em . . . . sometime suposedly as a 2012 model.

:confused:

9. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

have you seen the OEM for Aston Martin in last issue of Motor Trand? Really nice transformation from this IQ.:)

10. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Nice, and in the same color as mine :) I will list the differences that I can spot from the normal Toyota iQ: - From the rear quarter you can spot a chromed detailed panel under the purple bumper. Is this part of an under carriage panel which helps airflow or something? - The rear spoiler looks like a rear facing baseball cap... I'm glad I didn't choose this option. - The hood is exactly the same panel as on the Toyota version, which means the little rounded indent in the front (where the Toyota logo used to be) bumps up without any purpose on this Scion model because the emblem is lower. It's a shame they cut costs and didn't use a custom panel for this model. - The enlongated front doesn't look too bad. It does distract a bit from the idea of making it as compact as possible, but I suppose the NA bumper standard is the reason for this. - The silver side mirrors don't match any other part of the design. What was wrong about using the main body color and keep it coherent? And with this I will thank OP for bringing the pics.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Body matched mirrors are usually an upgrade on most models here, though I think the base is usually black to match the mount. The front bumper bottom lip also appears to be chromed like the one on the rear. Chrome package perhaps?
    I'm thankful they did. The Scion iQ concept had some extra angles and creases in its sheet metal that was too tuner for me.

The front seats are offset, with the driver's pushed back to give room for the steering wheel. Which leaves no leg room for an adult behind it. The passenger's was likely pushed all the way back to line up with the driver's, and moving it forward brought it to its neutral position. So there is leg room behind it, and the front person should still have space.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're around. An iQ with manufacturer plates pulled up to the hotel we were staying in for Green Drive Expo. I managed to sit inside and take a look.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is 3+1 as other people said... so that toyota sales guy needs to go through training again.

I, with my 200+ pounds can properly sit in passanger seat as well as behind him, and be perfectly content with the space.. it is pretty amazing.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And the turning circle? Did you test that?

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I took pictures of it Tideland when he pulled up (not with you in it). Unfortunately the interior shot of the dash didnt come out good since it was with my cell but I'll post up the four I did take below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got you covered on the interior...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

tiny... best part of iQ is really good/expensive suspension... better damping than Corolla.
    And also as wide inside as in Corolla :).

Only when you look behind, you realize how tiny the car is...

18. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Nice additional shots Tideland Prius. Even more to comment on :)

I love the piano black panels on the doors - they look more exclusive than my silver panels. Although I prefer the European coloring of the rest where it's gray with a hint of purple.

I thought Scion was all about good sound systems as well, but where are the large speakers which usually reside below the black trim in the doors? (I'm pretty sure I have two speakers in the doors, but I could be wrong)

Did you happen to see the rear brake rotors? With those rims I hope they are huge. I cringe every time I see a rims & drums combo!

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Exactly that. When you're in it driving, you can be whizzing along at 80 mph and think you're in a normal car. It's only when you look behind and see that you could almost touch the rear hatch that you realise you're in something so small.

It's difficult to describe or appreciate fully unless you've driven one.

20. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They have two Scion iQ cars at the Anaheim Auto Show right now. I went on Friday night. If I had remembered to look for the fourth seat, I would have looked - but I forgot to look for that. I was too distracted by the Prius sitting a few feet away. :)

Btw, at the autoshow, if there was one car I would say spectators were flocking around the most out of all cars at the show, it would have been the Lexus CT200h. Interestingly, people weren't too excited about the Lambos, Ferraris, etc. I think with the economy people only care about what they can afford these days.

Back on topic. iQ.