1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos of Toyota Scion iQ on dealer lot in California

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Sep 15, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But what did you think of the turning circle? Amazing fun. Still love the looks I get when we spin ours round almost on its wheelbase. I'm assuming this feature has made it to the US cars.

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The salesman demo the tight turning in the parking lot.
    It was remarkably tight.

IIRC, the Gen II Prius has a turning radius of ~17 ft.
    I've read that the iQ has a turning radius of 13 ft.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just like a grocery cart.

:p

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking more along the lines of being more like a Bumper Car! Hmmm, I wonder, if you keep turning the steering wheel does the IQ go into reverse?

Seriously, the IQ gets many more smiles per gallon than a Prius :)

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think you kind of just mentioned it here with the word "wheelbase," but when you think of a top-fuel dragster being really long and handling really well at high speed but a horrible turning radius, the iQ is the exact opposite. Theoretically, it would seem to not handle the greatest at 90mph, but the converse of this is that, theoretically, it handles AWESOME in the city!!! You can probably maneuver in and out of traffic and almost keep up with a motorcycle.

---
    This arrived in the mail at my house over the weekend. Anyone who lives in the area, feel welcome to go to the website listed below and sign up if you want. I'm undecided right now whether I am going or not.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah but the magic thing is that it handles really well at motorway/highway speeds of 80 mph. I wouldn't say you'd want to get it upto 90 purely because it'll be revving itself apart but surprisingly it will sit at 80/85 mph quite happily and handles very very well. They've managed to balance high speed handling with the amazingly tight steering and I think that's its appeal. A city car with the option of those longer runs if required, even daily.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this car handles like a bigger car
    you dont have the feeling that your driving a small car like this is.
    its nice but expensif

8. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    From the diesel I can report that it also sits perfectly still on the highway at 110mph. The wind noise was pretty loud, though (I was going against the wind).
    Without the wind against me, the salesman said that I should be able to push 125mph. I will report back if I find if anything should be different at that speed.

I just have to change to my Summer tires first - the Winter tires are only good for 80mph.

The electric steering assist is pretty much off at those speeds, and the width and aerodynamics makes it as stable as any larger modern car I have driven.

9. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow. You are definitely more brave than me. I've been up to 120mph at least once in my life, and I would never try that with the short wheelbase iQ. You tried it and it worked. Okay. Got it. We now know that it's CAPABLE of it. Just don't try it on a windy day, or on poor road conditions.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

as they said, iQ is more stable than Yaris because of wide track.
    I dont see why do you think you need to be brave to go 100mph in a car.

11. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I also helps that my diesel is 400lb. heavier than the base 1.0 iQ, but most of the highway stability comes from the width and suspension. I would be much less keen to go at those speeds in the (more aerodynamic) Toyota Aygo because of the cheaper suspension, which makes is easier to throw off course.

It also feels like the iQ generates more downforce, but I can't back up that claim.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    deer, rabbits, skunks, possums, cats, dogs, turkeys, geese, raccoons, other drivers, police (you lose your license if over 35 mph over the speed limit), and ............

The occasional darn Prius driver. ;)

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Aygo can also easily go 100mph on the highway, but yes, feels more unstable than iQ... a lot more.

iQ feels a lot like you are driving a Corolla. Which is also why it gets a bit worse mpg than Aygo... you cant have it all folks :p.

But sure guys, we are European... if I dont go 100mph on the highway, someone will run me over.

:)

14. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Power Toyota Irvine, CA.
    Pick your color.

The profit margin on these cars must be outrageous. The quality seemed in line with the Toyota Echo. Lots of simple lightweight plastic. Yet the sticker price is comparable to any other Toyota car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But keep in mind the amount of engineering that went into the car. It's probably a lot more than in the Echo. Making a modern small car isn't easy. The A/C compressor from the Yaris wouldn't fit and the fuel tank had to be redesigned (new slim design that probably made it's way into the Prius c). Then they had to fit all the airbags, modules, ABS/TRAC/VSC sensors and wiring and the engine. Lastly, it had to pass all safety tests. So yes, it's not that simple.

There's a point of diminishing returns (as the smart and iQ demonstrate) of how small a car you can make vs. how cheap of a car you can make (otherwise you end up with a Tata Nano)

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

uh, please... iQ is premium small car. Echo my arse.

17. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That makes sense. I don't think the average consumer will think about that, but I do see your reasoning.
    Lol. okay. :)

...And btw, I wasn't "dissing" the Echo. The Echo is a heck of a lot better than walking or riding a bicycle - a reality for many people in the world and in our own countries. And the Echo is a lot more affordable on gasoline than an older SUV or full size van.

18. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota added more soft touch plastics to the interior upgrade of Toyota iQ in 2011 in order to please car journalists (to the dismay of actual owners who have to keep the car clean!). Didn't those upgrades make it to the 2012 Scion version?

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you need to drive Aygo and drive iQ and then tell me which is which :).

Sure iQ is small, but it is premium car. I dont know how to explain it if you dont experience small cheap cars. We do here.

For instance Autocar tested iQ to new UP and wrote how they were amazed how much nicer iQ is than UP. But thats obvious since iQ is designed as premium small car and uses more expensive parts and components (not just unique ones).

20. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III