1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos of Toyota Scion iQ on dealer lot in California

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assume that for intelligent buyers the Prius c has just destroyed any desire to buy an iQ. Larger, much better on gas. A little more expensive but not crazy.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

didnt someone just post how they liked iQ a lot more in Prius c thread, and will be buying iQ because you get small premium car vs larger cheap one? :p

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right, the average consumer won't think about that and that's why you see all those comments about the smart fortwo and how it's not worth the price vs. a Yaris or Aveo or Accent (or pick any subcompact). They don't understand the reason behind a vehicle that's specialized (my car must do everything I ask it to do!) and in a size that most consider a toy car.

I can tell you that I was more comfortable in my smart than in a Yaris (driven it many many times in the last 5 years from test drives to rentals to courtesy cars and both sedan and hatch versions). Best damn seats in its class.

4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Then clearly that someone can't be intelligent...

Low iQ is the reason why we don't all drive used Corollas...

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Although the Prius c may get better gas mileage (when not driven like a race car), I'm sure there are a lot of people that live in busy cities that only care about getting from point A in the city to point B in the city as quickly as possible, and for that the small iQ and it's maneuverability may trump a Porsche in many heavy traffic situations. There are probably many small gaps where the iQ and Smart can squeeze through that a Porsche or Prius c cannot fit through. Yes, there's a market for this small, maneuverable go-kart-like car. When you see millionaires paying $4000 premiums for a Prius just to drive (aggressively) in the car pool lane during rush hour, I'm sure many iQs will sell in the cities.

6. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    not to mention the Fiat 500. How long has the iQ been out now? I have seen exactly 1 in SF. This is a town that loves tiny, parkable cars. A month after the Fiat 500 started shipping, I saw maybe 10 or 15. Now they are all over the place.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the iQ looks "neat".

But doesn't it face the same challenges as a product that The Smart Car or any 2 seater vehicle face?

It's basically a tool with a very specific application. As clever as Toyota might be with utilizing space, there just has to be limitations to what that product is.

I'm not bad mouthing it, because it does look interesting...good...to me...but I will be interested as to how it sells long term. I think a lot of Smart Cars were sold on initial uniqueness and "panache".

I'm not sure if a lot of that has been used up. Then it comes down to how many people want basically a 2 seater urban vehicle?- Maybe quite a bit.

I think the iQ would be a vehicle that would really be helped in sales if and when gas prices spike.

What's the price range on these? I also see these as being second or third vehicles for people.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The iQ is in the $16k to $17k range. Almost $4,000 higher than the Smart base price, but it's a Scion with the regular options standard.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

iQ is not supposed to sell Corolla numbers :).
    It is small, premium, niche vehicle.