1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHV Release Date

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by badboy99, Nov 26, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It needs a factory equipped plug and the size of the battery determine the amount of tax credit.

Minimum qualification is 4kWh for $2,500. Additional kWh gets $417. Since PHV Prius has 5.2 kWh, it should qualify for $2,917.

I know it is better to go with the number of EV miles to take account of efficiency in the design but they used the kWh.

1 person likes this.
  2. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All signs point to Toyota dropping the ball on the Prius Plug in.

They had prototypes since 2007 (!!), had delays due to battery problems , and are now playing catchup to the new designs (their own and the competition's) and new paradigms (EV's).

I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean? Not producing the PHV or ?

I hope they change the software so the extra battery can be regen charged all the time, like coming down a mountain pass or other long regen periods.

Mike

4. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they have much confidence of the PPI's success in the marketplace otherwise it would have been released today. Any further delays will run into the next Prius and the plugin will be playing catchup...

Did you try braking more ?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All? Having driven one for a few days and observed Toyota's strategy for over a decade, it sure looks to me that they are taking advantage of the time to refine the system prior to rollout. There's hasn't been any pressing need and we know quite well Volt will have some fallout. Heck, even Leaf has a few things to deal with still. Taking that time appears wise.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sure wish I would have known that you had one in the Twin Cities as I would have loved to see it in person :(
    I missed one in Orlando last week by a day. The salesman said one was at their store the previous day :rolleyes:

Mike

7. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your personal experience with the Prius PHV will carry more weight when backed up with
    details. Well ?

Toyota has been "refining" the Prius Plugin since 2007. 4 years is plenty of time to refine whatever needs to be done. A company like Toyota can develop a new vehicle in 20 months ! So, no, refinement is not what's holding up the Prius Plugin.

Nothing's stopping Toyota from a gradual rollout , if the Prius PHV design is competitive.
    Toyota is simply not ready.

1 person likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/83700-adventures-phv-model-prius.html

Since the entire industry has been waiting for batteries, that's a weak argument at best. Also, let's not forget all the other hybrid efforts Toyota has also been pursuing at the same time. They're delivering quite a few new choices in a very short window.

9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    What bothers me is the fact that no data on field tests has been posted on their dedicated site Toyota ESQ Communications as promised some 14 months ago...

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is busy hybridisng it's entire lineup, and keeping itself profitable. For the moment, in the grand scheme of things, that is more important.

It's easy to say "it's ready", but for those of use driving PHEV's, we know that what works great on day one isn't neccesarily still working on day two. or YEAR 10! Just look at the discussion about fuel dilution in oil of a PHEV we had on here the other week. For a user expecting an mpg boost for a couple of years on a 5 year old car it may not be a big issue, but putting that product into service with a 10 year warranty requires a LOT of confidence in it's durability. They don't have the confidence yet because the batteries haven't even been around that long never mind complete vehicles in real use. The fact the test fleet exists shows they are close, but still have some engineering problems to fix.

11. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wild specualtion tells me the results are not very good. Think fleet average of 55mpg.

In the same way some owners achieve 70mpg but others achive 35mpg, some plugins will have got 100mpg but others 35mpg. It's still good news to fleet operators, since their current prii probably get low 40's, but it doesn't exactly make good PR.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I was just thinking of that the other day; Where the heck is the data site that was talked about...

See, Toyota, if you had given the cars to us members on Priuschat, we'd have been doing the work ourselves daily for ya' instead of cities and organizations who for the most part probably drive them around like normal cars... ;)

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Getting it right the first time is more important. We would not want "half-nice person" release like the Volt, not reaching any goal set in the concept car.

Toyota has to protect the success of the Prius by not screwing it up.

EPA is not ready to rate the fuel efficiency. The schedule is to have fuel efficiency, emission, etc ratings ready by 2012. Toyota is moving along at the right pace. GM rushed out the Volt with a preliminary EPA label.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That has always been Toyota's approach. They aren't out to prove themselves like GM... which all the "vaporware" victory celebrations clearly confirm. In fact, most people aren't even aware of the Original model Prius, which demonstrated taking the time to do it right. They just assume the Classic model was the first.

I'm fascinated to find out what improvements the PHV ends up getting over the model I got to drive.

Remember, the goal is to sell many plug-in models (at least 20,000), shortly after rollout begins for a profit... no waiting for upgrades as with Volt... cost-reduction, PZEV emissions, improved efficiency.

15. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly.
    The current Prius PHEV prototype is basically a screw up. At some point, it needs to be totally redesigned without being restricted by the current form factor.

It would be a sad day when progress depends on EPA's schedules.

16. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vaporware is always fascinating.
    I also read through your Prius Plugin thread but did not see any technical specifications such as vehicle weight, battery capacity, MG1/2 differences, etc etc.

When is that ? The 4th generation Prius will be released in 2015-16 so any Prius Plugin released in 2012-13 will be one generation behind in short order.

Should folks wait for the perfected 4th generation Prius (Will this be a Plugin only design ? ) ?

17. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So they should have waited to release the Volt until the EPA got it's label right? With you, you chide GM for taking too long, then you chide them for someone else (the EPA) holding them up. The right pace for you is only where Toyota is.

18. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does seem odd to release it so far into a generation. We can only assume/hope that gen4 releases as PHV off the bat.

My personal expectation is that gen4 will be PHV only, leaving The Prius as as the most fuel efficient car in the Prii lineup. Already in the UK the Auris hybrid is better, and when the Yaris hybrid comes out that will be significantly better.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some people active on this board have been to Toyota's HQ, met with Toyota execs and engineers, long-term driven the PHV and signed non-disclosure agreements. Those people, most of whom have remained silent so far, are right now laughing at your replies with a smug sense of "you'll see."

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EPA use SAE J1711 to test the plugin vehicles. J1711 just finalized recently (July 2010). It is not just the EPA but the entire Society of Automotive Engineers. I am sure there is a proper process and someone broke the process in an attempt to change the game.

I have only said GM is 10 years behind for bringing out a hybrid car (not truck or SUV).