1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Physical dimensions OK but secret sauce a mystery

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 17, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The physical dimensions of cells is well defined but the internal chemistry is not. It is the contents of the cathode, anode, and electrolyte that truly define the cell performance. So there a many LiON AAA sized cells but what they use internally remains a mystery and NOT included in the cell packaging.

I would prefer a more 'open book' that cells include not only dimensions but also the internal chemistry. Not so much the specifics but rather the charge-discharge and thermal characters. These are the minimum needed to tell if an OEM battery management system can handle different cells. For example, the Tesla Std Rng Plus Model 3 today 2021 has a significantly increased EV range, 265 m., versus the 2019, 240 mi range. Yes other efficiencies can account for some of this range but tuning battery chemistry would add stealthily.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe you could wrangle a job at the r&d lab, steal some sauce, and quit. (just for your own edification:cool:)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At age 71, I'm probably unemployable ... except pushing a broom or wearing a uniform with a fake gun. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.