1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIAA Sports Horn

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by olmanwompa, Nov 7, 2006.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PIAA Spots horn you bought really do NOT need an additional relay. I have had mine for over a year now on the factory wiring, NO PROBLEMS. I tend to toot alot, there are a quite a few SOB's who do not know how to drive here in L.A., and as I said NO PROBLEMS!!! You can always add a extra relay, but then I would be adding a horn from a GP-5 Freight Engine!!!

2. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviving an old thread. I just installed the PIAA sports horns. Installation was a breeze, and they sound much better than the factory horns.

You can easily use the existing + wiring connectors. All you have to do is cut some of the electrical tape that secures the wiring harness to the clips, then there will be plenty of slack. So all you really need are a couple crimp connector rings for the ground wires to mount to the horn mounting bolts. The whole procedure can be done in less than a half hour.

KK6PD likes this.
  3. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If tying into the original horn harness, it's already on a relay. No need for another.

If you really want a difference, try the Fiamm compact trumpets. Very Italian sounding, and loud.

4. youdiejoe

youdiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wanted to add to the "YES! it works for me!" comments. I'm the proud owner of a "new to me" 2007 Prius, after a couple of days of driving around I had the opportunity to honk my horn at another driver who needed to be honked at and was shocked at the sound from the factory horns. I have just moved from a Yamaha scooter as a daily commuter and the Prius horns sounded nearly identical to the scooter, actually many scooter enthusiasts upgrade their stock horns to these same PIAA horns.

I ordered the PIAA 500/600 horns from Amazon ($40), it took roughly 30 minutes to get out the tools, remove the engine cover and install the new horns in place, attach ground wires, reassemble and clean up.

Thanks to all who have added info and tips, this was a breeze and well worth the upgrade.

KK6PD likes this.
  5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if there are any horn experts out there, who makes the loudest, most obnoxious electric horns? i know an air horn would be loud as @#$%, but i don't want to add a compressor. also, both my '04 and '05 seem to only have 1 cheesy little "meep" horn. later cars have 2?

6. Hi Burrito!

Hi Burrito! Regenerative Farting

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just installed the 500Hz + 600Hz PIAA Sports Horns on my 2006 Prius. Thanks to the earlier link in this thread with photos and instructions for installing in the 2004 Prius. And for all the other useful comments! Hey -- I like the fact that the horns are made in Japan!

The car's horn wires were way too short to reach up to the connectors, which are on the TOP of the PIAA horns. Maybe horn wire length is a difference between the 2004 and 2006 Prius. I read of folks un-taping and cutting into the Prius wiring harness to pull out more horn wire. The other choice is to make an extension connector for each horn, which I did. Sure, it adds half an hour to go to your local hardware store, but I think it's the better way to go. I went to my local ACE hardware store I bought a pack of 10 female connectors and a pack of 10 male connectors, 1/4" (0.250 on package), $3.50/pack. I also bought a 3 foot length of red 16 AWG wire ($0.75). You only need wire cutters to cut and strip the wire (9" lengths are nice), and a pair of pliers to crimp the connectors onto the wire ends. I feel much more comfortable about the wire extension solution than about removing tape, cutting into the harness, and pulling more wire out of the car (which I don't even think could be done on the 2006, given I needed at least 4 more inches pulled out).

After I see how I like the sound of these horns in real life driving, I may install them in my 2012 PiPA.

Honk on!

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Anyone tried this?

Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn 139 dB - $50
    [​IMG]

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I take the non-response as a no.... Guess I'll try it! :)

Daves09prius likes this.
  9. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Go for it!:)

10. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime