1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Piaggio launches PHEV MP3 Scooter

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by JSH, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Yeah not horribly strong but if the light is red ahead you have to give it gas till you're pretty much all the way there. That disappointed me. I love to glide in my Prius.

2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't forget that besides the CVT in scooters which tend to be very simple and tied to road speed more than would be ideal for optimal fuel economy as JSH mentions, but scooters are also very light and not aerodynamic at all. Which basically means that at speeds over 20mph you will very quickly lose speed .

Get on your bicycle and pedal as fast as you can - you might be able to touch 30mph - 35mph if you are a decent rider and once you stop pedalling you will quickly slow to below 20mph. But once you get down to 10mph or so, you will find that you can coast quite a while if the road is flat.

On a scooter (or motorcycle), the parasitic drag of the CVT and engine combined with low weight/inertia compared to a car make it that much worse.

1 person likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . . and if you get T boned or rear ended by someone doing 45mph in the Prius, you suffer a lot less injuries. Getting stuck in a surprise downpour while in the Prius is less bothersome as well. But that's just me picky picky picky. You'd never know my mc license has been active for over 3 decades.

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The engine braking on a scooter is something you get used to, account for, and incorporate in your riding. But it also introduces a safety liability in addition to the mentioned fuel economy ones. If using the engine braking only to stop for a light, the driver behind you may not realize you are slowing. Managing the engine braking not only requies a feather touch on the throttle at all time, but it requires constant monitoring of the rearview mirror and tapping/dragging the brake just slightly to engage the brake lights to alert potential drivers behind you.

1 person likes this.