1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pick up power for reverse?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by peecee, May 15, 2017.

1. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am installing an aftermarket backup camera for my 2004 Prius. What wire could I tap into for power while the car is in reverse? I've also seen references to people powering the camera to come on with a turn signal activation to see behind you when changing lanes, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Rather than dig around in the back to test which wire I should use, I'm hoping someone else has blazed that trail and can help me out.

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You tap into the wire that goes to your reverse lights. It should have stated that in the instructions.

Is this a wired or wireless install?

3. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I doesn't say to get it from the reverse, just find a wire that provides power. Although now that you say that, it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

4. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a wired install. I could have gotten wireless, but I'd rather not take up a Bluetooth connection with that.

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bluetooth is exactly why I asked. I installed a wireless one for a friend in his pickup that is Bluetooth equipped. Makes the camera darn near worthless.

6. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear that, although I'm glad my instincts were correct. With something permanent installed, I didn't see the point of relying on wireless connectivity for the camera, especially when bluetooth has a hard enough time maintaining a connection just for audio.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Prius have the main camera harness installed to support a camera even if no camera installed.
    So you have a switched 12 volt b+ line and also a video cable that terminates near the radio.
    You can find it by removing the plastic panel in the hatch right below the center rubber bellows.

8. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I pulled the rear trim panels and don't see any wires that don't have corresponding connectors back there. Are you sure the harness is already there for every Prius? I'd love to use the existing wiring rather than pulling everything apart to run the video cable to the front of the car. I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home, or would appreciate a photo showing what wire(s) to look for.