1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up a 2007 Prius with 270k miles any advise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mikesvagen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bleeding the prius brakes are not as straight forward as other cars. It's a good thing you didn't go through with it, it would have been an expensive mistake.

Toyota uses techstream software to do the brake fluid changes, the brakes are electronically controlled. I seemed to have remembered Toyota advising against the fluid changes because it contributes to the brake actuator failure

2. JoeX

JoeX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the 12 volt battery well to, both of my 06 had water there

Mikesvagen likes this.
  3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The best advice you can take it to check the oil and coolants every time you fuel up. That way you will see the oil consumption/coolant use and be able to top them off before they get damagingly low. Never fuel the car without this check!

Mikesvagen likes this.
  4. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Guys thanks for the advise on brake fluid... I dodged a bullet on that one!!

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my front struts on my 2008 at 99,000 miles. I had never heard of one failing at such low mileage and the parts stores didn't even stock them. When I said it failed, it blew all the oil out and was everywhere under the car.
    Front wheel bearings seem to have an occasional failure. They get real noisy rather than fail. If it starts sounding like a four wheel drive truck with big tires you need to check your front wheel bearings.
    HID headlights were my number one problem though. They go off and then when you cycle the light switch off and back on they come back on for a while. Bulbs are expensive but are getting cheaper as time goes on. Only the higher lever Prii had them.

6. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Padroo, so far so good on the wheel bearings. I have put close to 600 miles on her so far. The tires are noisy (Ecopias) about 1/2 worn but wheel bearing noise or slop yet. I have hids on two of our other cars so keep a couple sets on hand. Struts are on the short list for replacement parts.

iPhone ?

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wheel bearing had no slop in it, it just got noisy.

This is my YouTube video of a noisy right front wheel bearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TTVE-x0888

When I changed the front struts I bought the whole complete assembly with the springs ready to install. Everything is already assembled and everything is new when you are done. If any of the other parts are bad and you start buying them individually they start getting expensive. It makes it a simple job and saves a ton of time messing with spring compressors and such.

Mikesvagen and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you think about the quality of the struts? The ride is pretty good?

SFO likes this.
  9. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have not had good experiences with quick struts in the past and refuse to buy them. Broken hats, leaky struts after 25k. I know some people that swear by them.

The plan is to go with Kyb for struts and a mild drop, leaning toward H&R springs. Plans may change as my daughter seems to have her eye on the car.

iPhone

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OEM struts are high quality and they are cheaper than KYB. Most dealerships have online stores, where you can get the parts at very competitive prices

Mikesvagen and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone has their own ideas about quality. I don't remember the name of the company and they weren't on the car that many miles before I traded the car in but the car rode like stock and how good they are I will never know. If the car were newer I would have probably bought Toyota OEM and from what I read they are pretty much bullet proof and the fact that my local parts store didn't even stock aftermarket struts for a Prius says it all even though one of mine failed.

William Redoubt and Mikesvagen like this.
  12. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a great deal on rock auto for all 4 struts I think it was only around $300 at that price a no brainer. might as well order new springs and isolators (the dust boot is molded in). My car was sagging a bit in the rear turned out to be a broken spring, Moog springs fixed that and the car handles much better too.

Mikesvagen likes this.
  13. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ill-advised it may have been, I went on a last minute camping trip and towed the teardrop camper with my Prius. Drove 300 miles round trip and everything went off without any problems. trailer weight 565lb 165lb of added gear, tongue weight 70lb. I kept speed at 65 mph or under, Headwind going out and calm coming home avg 34.1 mpg. No oil used, all temps stayed in spec according to Prius Assistant. Braking was not an issue and getting up to speed was not bad.

Would I do it again? With a Prius with fewer miles yes. Would I try taking it up to the mountains? NO!! I did meet a couple at the campground that said they towed their teardrop cross country with a 2011 Prius a few years back when they first retired, with careful route planning they spent almost a month on the road with no problems... I am not that brave lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not a lot of weight. That's not much different than having a few things in the trunk and 3 adult males (over 200lb each) in the back seat. Or no?

15. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When you put that way it really is not a lot of weight... I was very pleased with the performance.

16. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's nothing. These cars are rated for towing in other countries where the lawyers have less power. In the US, being risk averse is required. Damn lawyers. Where's my settlement?????

Mikesvagen likes this.
  17. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will say it was a welcome change to get over 30 mpg towing the trailer, I only get 18-22 with the Volvo.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I pulled a bit heavier last time, about a 800lb trailer and a 500lb motorcycle on top if it. The Prius handled it ok but it was definitely at the limit of what I wanted to ever pull.

Mikesvagen likes this.
  19. Mikesvagen

Mikesvagen Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I feel the car could take more, I just would not do it, especially after summertime comes to Georgia. The more i think about it i will be using the Prius with my current camp setup for shorter trips.

iPhone