1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up Zenn

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DaveinOlyWA, Nov 10, 2007.

1. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just curious, did you compare the ZENN and the Xebra? And why did you choose the ZENN?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Nov 18 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]541256[/snapback]</div>
    Though you apparently are asking Dave, not me, I'll say that I chose the Xebra over the Zenn because of the legal speed limitation of the Zenn, the ability to install more batteries for more range in the Xebra, and the larger interior space of the Xebra. However, the Zenn, being made in Canada rather than China, may turn out to be a better-quality car.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Nov 18 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]541256[/snapback]</div>
    yes i did and to be honest with ya, i bought the ZENN under the ambassador program so i got a good discount. also, WA state removed speed restrictions for NEVs putting the Zenn on the same playing field as the Zebra. also, to be honest with ya, i feel much more comfortable driving 35 mph in the Zenn than i did driving 25 mph in the Zebra. my SO wouldnt even ride in the Zebra... so didnt want that fight on my hands to be honest with ya.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 18 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]541333[/snapback]</div>
    If there was a real electric car available, I'd get rid of the Xebra in a heartbeat. But I do not like the SUV body style and I don't want to spend $60,000 on a used car that I have no way of knowing if the owner has abused it or taken good care of it.

But today, with my battery issues (the bad ones will be replaced free, but I don't trust them any more) if someone drove a Rav4EV up to my house and offered to sell it to me, and if I was confident of its overall condition, I'd consider it very seriously. Searching for one on eBay is another matter entirely.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 18 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]541364[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that the Zenn is allowed to go 35 mph in WA.

Interesting, that Allan drove a Zenn and had exactly the opposite impression: He felt his Xebra PK was much more stable.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i didnt have an issue with stability and turning, the ride just seemed rougher. the guy who put together the Plug In Olympia site has a Zebra and i plan to hook up with him over coffee to make some comparisons so will have a better idea then.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The main thing -- all that really matters -- is that it meets your needs, and it's 100% electric. I wanted to be able to go farther than the Zenn would go, and I wanted the extra 5 mph. Allan needed a vehicle that would accommodate his trike. (And with his larger rear wheels he can go 10 mph faster than the Zenn.) But the Zenn is a nice-looking car. I've never driven one so I don't know what it feels like.

8. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure which Zenn thread to throw this into, but Rick Mercer did a sketch with the Zenn in his most recent episode.

http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php

(I can't seem to link directly to the video, so it's season 5, episode 7, 3rd last clip "Rick drives an electric car").

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the link Holly, it was hilarious and eye opening. however, i do believe that Canada has actually seen the light like WA and Montana and legalized it nationwide... but yes, it was a very long tedious project

*edit*

oops...sorry, Canada not quite on the ball yet

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/11/transport-canad.html