1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up new 2012 v FIVE w/Advanced Tech Pkg

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by bluesparky, Oct 5, 2012.

1. bluesparky

bluesparky Prius v -Five ATP Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We just sold our 2007 Pkg 5 and 2008 Pkg 6 models this week, and wife is picking up a 2012 Blizzard Pearl v FIVE with the Advanced Tech Package tonight. Is there anything we should do different, anything specific to look for on it, or recommend to add to this one to maximize the enjoyment out of the thing? We both loved our individual models, played the game of who could get the best mpgs, etc. But after testing driving a v at the dealer, she absolutely wanted one bad. We had planned to go to only one car (I have a truck to drive to work), and this one seems much more comfortable to me. What do you think and have to advise me on? Thanks.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No different than picking up the other two Prii that you had before. I would play with the nav a bit while you're stationary (just to be familiar and so that you're not fiddling with it on the move). The 7" HDD should be familiar (it's the 6.1" DA that's different) to you. DRCC is an awesome feature (the short/med/long distance markers are a small Prius v icon with bars coming out the front end on the IP).

bluesparky likes this.
  3. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I'd just make sure you are comfortable in the seats. I am quite tall, and I didn't notice it while test driving, but after buying the car and driving it for an hour, my back started to hurt. Yesterday I got a car seat pad that is helping for me. It's the only problem I've had with the V, which is a great car.

bluesparky likes this.
  4. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed. The seat back is kind of firm even I dial the lumbar support to minimal. I am ok with it as I like firm seat.

libmanj, what pad did you get?

bluesparky likes this.
  5. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I got the Jobri Betterback (in grey):

Amazon.com: Jobri - BLO-GR - BetterBack LeanOn Back Support Cushion - Gray -: Home & Kitchen

The shape of the seat, mostly the upper back portion of the seat, didn't fit the shape of my back. This cushion actually has a wood piece inside of it and padding on the outside. I actually just strapped it around the headrest, so it doesn't strap around the seat and obscure potential airbag deployment. It seems to be helping.

For the record, my fiance loves the seats just as they are. They aren't bad seats. I just discovered they didn't fit me quite so well.

bluesparky likes this.
  6. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's not too late, have the dealer disable the very annoying endless reverse beep (before you drive the vehicle off the lot). One beep is plenty sufficient for most people's purposes.

Also, check your front windshield for small scratches and/or cracks. While you're at it look at the weather seal along the edge of each window as these tend to get damaged if the dealer installs a lock box. You might as well roll down each window a bit to make sure the top edge doesn't have any chips in it, again from the installation of a lock box.

Lastly, be absolutely certain you check the moonroof for scratches. Since it's made of plastic (instead of glass) it scratches very easily; especially if the dealer has to replace a cracked front windshield. :(

Just a few things I wish someone would've told me to check before I took delivery of my vehicles. ;)

bluesparky likes this.
  7. bluesparky

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey there! Thanks so much for all of the advice!!! You guys are awesome!

We went to Shelor Toyota in Christiansburg, VA on Friday after work, and they had the Blizzard Pearl v all cleaned and ready. It was in the "delivery" area where there were glass garage doors, halogen track lighting, and you could really inspect the vehicle. I grabbed my Meguair's Ultimate Detailer Spray, a couple of microfiber cloths, and began the inspection of the paint. I only found one dust particle in the hood up near the windshield. There is no orange peel, and the doors fit so well that the reflection in the sides is only one, non-distorted image, which bodes well for the folks fitting and assembling the vehicle! It really has a very slick paint job... Thanks for the heads up about the roof, as I looked it over thoroughly and found no marks on it. I'll remember to rinse it carefully before washing it using my sheepskin wash mitt.

I checked out the seats closely, and they are a bit different than my '07 pkg 5 regular Prius seats, but they seem to be more comfortable due to the larger seat bottom and the lumbar hits me just right. I can see that if you are built a bit differently, then it would not hit you in the same place it does me. That was my problem with the '07, the curve for the lumbar was way too low for me, and the seat bottom was too short.

I love the large screen, and the nav works great! And the DRCC is awesome! The wife didn't like cruise because she drives in traffic and just never feels safe enough to use it. I use it in moderate traffic, but am always ready with the cancel button just in case. After seeing how it worked, she thinks that she can now trust it to slow her down or even apply the brakes if necessary! That is a great tool!

We immediately ordered the rubber mats, mudflaps, rear bumper applique, and got in touch with the Cleartech of VA guy to protect the front end with the clear bra. I already had a set of wheel locks waiting. It should be accessorized very soon!

Again, thank all of you so much for taking time to advise me, and I am proud to be in the group of happy 'v' owners.

8. bluesparky

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, also forgot to say that she named it "Pearl"....