1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pickup rams Prius - one dead in Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Man killed, 3 injured as Ford crashes into Prius | mydesert.com | The Desert Sun

Good grief!

Bob Wilson

2. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amber must have had something better to do than operate her vehicle in a safe manner that fateful day. Will there be a recall of defective drivers like Amber. I see this as a real menace to freedom here in the US of A.

3. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know the area, but isn't it inherently dangerous to stop on an expressway? (not absolving the truck driver of anything, she apparently wasn't driving at a safe speed to be pulling a trailer, but I am trying to put it in context)

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What was the Prius doing stopping in the middle of the expressway? I'd get the hell out of the car if I were in that situation.

I've seen too many people get into accidents and just stop their cars in the center of the road to get out, even if everybody else is doing 65+ mph.

EDIT: It was stopped at an intersection.

5. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the trafic in front of them were stopped. A situation like this recently happened to a fellow I work with. Freeway locks up, he stops, inattentive dingbat on phone, texting, reading, screwing with GPS, daydreaming, etc., dosen't notice stopped traffic 'till too late.

Saw a recent news blurb where a guy drove straight into a landslide. Looked mighty confused as he got out of his car in the middle of a giant pile of rocks and dirt that completely blocked the road. Guess he didn't see it.

No, it wasn't a Prius.

6. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My assumption was that the vehicle was stopped on the shoulder, but the article doesn't actually specify if it was in the travel lanes or not.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    An Expressway doesn't necessarily mean no traffic lights. Expressways are different from Freeways.

I Googled the intersection. I can't make out any lights, but the way the traffic is stopped it looks like there are some.

86 Expressway at - Google Maps

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I googled and it was stopped at an intersection.

9. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the pickup driver was not totally drunk or high then chances are her cell phone record will show a call or text message about the time of the accident.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see that all the time. That is why I try to leave as much room as possible so if someone does approach me to fast, I can wait until I see the "whites of their eyes" in my rearview mirror, then speed up and get as close to the other person as possible avoiding a collision.

I drive on a military base quite often and most of the drivers are from southern US states where snow is just a fantasy. They get their RWD lifted trucks and think nothing can stop them. Well, it turns out they cant stop them either and usually it is just a big game of bumper cars the whole time. This is where I will run red lights and stop signs after I am stopped to avoid the 5 tonne behemouth from ramming my backside after being stopped.

Yeah that was in my neck of the woods. Im not sure what part of the interstate it was on, but I-70 through there is extremely twisty and curvy since it is a mountain pass. Regularly closed for landslides or bad weather. The chain laws are in effect most of the time as well. So it could be possible he rounded a bend and just didnt have time, but more than likely he was just being a bad driver...

11. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One and the same. You should never overdrive your vision.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    300 feet!! . how fast would you have to be going to have a stopping distance of 300 feet WITHOUT hitting something?? the fact that a stationary vehicle was pushed 300 feet has to say

1) the pickup driver did not use her brakes at all
    2) she was going way over 70 mph (approx speed where braking distance is 300 feet)

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gosh darn, it sure would be a shame if every LA Times article received a description of this accident with the question:

• Does the Ford F150 pickup trunk have a brake problem?
    • Does the Ford F150 pickup trunk have runaway acceleration?
    Don't just post to a comments file, send a note to the LA Times editor and copy to the reporters.

Perhaps it is time to face the reporters and the follow-up comments with the ugly facts and data. They've had a free ride, now for the ... retort.

Bob Wilson

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well article says truck was pulling a trailer. would not be the first time i saw an illegal trailer (no trailer brakes)

15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You can see the lights in Streetview
    (drag the little yellow man at the top of the slide bar down to the intersection to see street view)

1 person likes this.
  16. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You're absolutely right, I totally forgot about streetview.

17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very true. However the effective speed is between 70mph and 80mph when there is little snow like now on that stretch of road. Waaaaay too fast for that stretch of road, but being a 2-3 lane mountain road you have to go that speed limit or you screw up traffic for everybody. Of course this same stretch going west around 6am-8am and going east between 5pm and 8pm is around 5mph to 15mph and there are still accidents lol. Ski season is a beast. :)

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are lights there, you can see the shadows of the back boards. That would be a nightmare intersection without traffic lights.

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just another example on the Laws of Mr Newton at work!!!
    I added a deviant to the laws...
    A-Make sure you ALWAYS have insurance!!!

I think someone's gonna need an good attorney!

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to wonder why a Ford smashed into a Prius. And not that a Ford smashed into a Toyota. Why not a F-150 smashed into a Toyota? Why provide the manufacturer of one vehicle and he model of the other?

Secondly: 300 feet!! Holy cow!! How many seconds does it take to move a vehicle from stationary 300 feet? An entire football field length.